Advanced Search

Case knife

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Danny
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 26

Has anyone ever taken apart a case knife to clean. It is easy to sharpening, but I would like to take apart and clean.  I see the three brass pins but I don’t know if I need to knock them out to get to the internal of the knife or if the chrome ends just pop off if using a little force.  Don’t want to ruin the knife, just need a little advice if you can. Thanks.  Will have pic. but to large of a file.

Danny
    Participant

Here is the pic.

Attachments:
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I don’t know if that’s a good idea. I think you’d be better off just rinsing it and then blowing it out with compressed air to get it dry.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Danny
    Participant

Yea i s my personal knife. Don’t want to screw it up even though it is mine.  Can’t find anything on you tube opt anywhere to take one apart. Only thing I see is ship it to case manufacturer.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Danny, you might want to tackle the job your self.  You can use one of these super erasers available from many sources.  I’d clean up that old beauty.  It’s got to have some sentimental value.  I’d be afraid to return it for repair.  They may just replace it instead under it’s lifetime warranty.  Who’s to know that the new materials and quality of a newer model are as good as that oldie knife.  Besides you’ll learn how to refinish your knife while you’re at.  Then it’ll mean even more to you.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Danny
    Participant

Thanks Marc  I am going to clean it myself  just got two of the super erasers.  Needed one for my ceramics anyway.  Thanks.

Richard
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 183

Hey Marc, are you talking about using the super eraser to clean up the main bevel?  I use mine on my ceramics but that’s all.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735
    Danny
    Participant

Very good info on video. Thanks MarcH

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Gee, I hadn’t thought of using the Superaser on rust.  In addition to cleaning my ceramic sharpeners, I use it to remove pencil layout marks from woodworking projects.  Saves a bunch of sanding.

airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 367

After reading this I ordered a couple of these even though I have no ceramic anything.  Was hoping I could find some other off label uses other than rust,  and now pencil on wood, which will be wonderful!  Anyone have any other confirmed uses?

Danny
    Participant

Well got my case knife cleaned up and sharpened the second blade  went from 100 grit to 1500 then 5 micron to 3.5 micron paste on leather.  Turned out pretty good. Getting the hang of it.

Attachments:
    2 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Nice work!

Danny
    Participant

Forgot the super eraser worked great.

Attachments:
    Danny
    Participant

Thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.