Advanced Search

Case for Wicked Edge

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box Case for Wicked Edge

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Stasel
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 56

peppersass,

Using your great post for inspiration, I’ve constructed something similar with a Pelican 1550 I had laying around.

My case never had the nice pull-apart foam they typically come with, but rather egg-crate on the top and bottom. Removing the bottom, and buying some ugly off-white/yellow 3″ 18×18″ foam, I went about creating some padding.

I am a bit impatient when it comes to this stuff, especially since I didn’t have a hot-wire cutter. So I resorted to an electric carving knife (next best thing to a hot wire). And contact cement.

Here are the rest. I need to work on the “square” that goes over the base/clamp since it’s obviously too tall, but thinning foam sucks. Also, after loading everything in, it’s extremely secure and doesn’t move at all. I hope to use this case to bring the kit to Thanksgiving for family sharpening. =)

Also note, the bars, support “strut” and measurer are all just floating at the moment.

The cases for the “stones” were just what was locally available that worked. I have a small piece of foam in there to keep the stones from moving around lengthwise.

David Hill
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 8

I just ordered a we and on the fourth step I hit order, the same screen appeared as iof I hadnt ordered, so I hit again and the same thing happened. I sent a comment to you guys, but seeing you are now online you might be able to reasure me I wont be charged twice. My name is David Hill from Spokane.
    Thanks

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I just ordered a we and on the fourth step I hit order, the same screen appeared as iof I hadnt ordered, so I hit again and the same thing happened. I sent a comment to you guys, but seeing you are now online you might be able to reasure me I wont be charged twice. My name is David Hill from Spokane.
    Thanks

I’ve checked a couple of times and your order hasn’t shown up, so I think it did not go through. If for some reason you ever did get double billed, we’d credit you back right away, but that hasn’t happened.

-Clay

D K
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 22

[attachment:1]C:fakepathimage.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment:1]C:fakepathimage.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment:2]C:fakepathimage.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment:3]C:fakepathimage.jpg[/attachment]

I purchased a pelican case to protect my beloved investment and this is how I set it up. It holds everything perfectly!!

D K
    Participant

Ok here is my second attempt to get pictures on here!

Attachments:
    James Bare
    Participant
    • Replies: 20

Those pelican cases look awesome, but what if you have the pro pack 2/ upgraded arms and riser? How much deeper would the case have to be to fit the riser block? I like the idea of such a tough case to protect my WEPS and only want to buy a case one time since I am pretty sure the riser/new arms will be in my future.

D K
    Participant

I actually have the propack 2 and it will fit in the pelican 1600 case. The case is a bit large but in my opinion worth protecting my baby.

Xbander
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 68

I actually have the propack 2 and it will fit in the pelican 1600 case. The case is a bit large but in my opinion worth protecting my baby.

Nice setup, DKamp.– This is one of the best setup cases I have seen. Looks like it easy to get out and start using, without having to remove parts of the cases interior foam. The bit large is great, Growing room!
    Thanks for making the extra effort to share your photos !!
    Much appreciated
    James

Ryan Stasel
    Participant
    • Replies: 56

DKamp,

Wow, that makes mine look like crap. I just need to order replacement stock foam I guess. =P

Awesome.

D K
    Participant

Thanks for all the kind words! I like that everything has a place!

Richard Green
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 23

test – please ignore
    [attachment:1]C:fakepathIMG_3726.JPG[/attachment]

Richard Green
    Participant

Those pelican cases look awesome, but what if you have the pro pack 2/ upgraded arms and riser? How much deeper would the case have to be to fit the riser block? I like the idea of such a tough case to protect my WEPS and only want to buy a case one time since I am pretty sure the riser/new arms will be in my future.

Excellent question. I had to deal with this when I upgraded. Since my case was a done deal, my solution was to remove the riser prior to packing my WEPS in the case. In order to be able to do this quickly, without removing the vice from the base, I drilled an access hole in the base:

I marked the position of the hole with the vice base in place, removed the vice base, and drilled the hole with a drill press. I recommend drilling a pilot hole and/or going slowly when the final size bit is about to break through the bottom of the case. Otherwise, the laminate may chip off around the hole. No big deal if it does, however.

I store the WEPS in the case with the riser removed and the jaws secured with the old (short) allen head screw. That way, I can close the lid and I can use the WEPS for a quick touch-up without removing it from the case. Note that I have to use an angle cube to set the angle because the markings on the new cross beam assume the riser is in place.

When I want to do a more extensive sharpening session, I remove the WEPS from the case, remove the short screw, install the riser, and secure the jaws with the new long allen head screw. I’ve added a larger allen head wrench to my kit for this, which is also handy for getting leverage on the new thumbscrews.

BTW, I’ve made a few mods to my case to accommodate the upgrade and additional stones. I expanded the side channel on the left to fit the larger WEPS II arms and added a hole on the right for an angle cube. I took some of the accessories out of the stone cases to make room for a pair of ceramic stones, and put them in smaller utility boxes that fit under the front stone case. Here’s what it looks like now:

The stone boxes go on top of the smaller boxes and other stuff, behind and in front of the vice, as shown in my previous post. One stone box is full and the other has long accessories, the riser, the standard allen wrench, the long riser screw and a lab sample dropper I use to wet the ceramic stones. Here’s what they look like now:

Hope this helps others who are building their own cases.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

peppersass…

you probably posted it right… but there’s a limit to the file size. (Im trying to find out what it is). Crop it down a bit and try again. (Don’t worry, I’ll delete the posts that fail).

Richard Green
    Participant

Thanks. You were right — the file sizes were bigger than my last post (new camera.) I resized them down to less than 1MB each and it worked. BTW, I found that if you hit the question mark above, it takes you to the website of the Forum software provider. I found some info there suggesting that 3MB is the limit.

I’m not sure I’m doing the posting correctly, though. I used the Add File buttons to access the photos on my system, but they were not automatically uploaded when I hit Insert. Just a “FAKEPATH” URL was created. I had to Submit the post, then go back and edit it. Then I was able to place the cursor where a given photo should go and then hit Insert next to the photo attachment at the bottom. This placed a URL with just the file name in the correct spot, and everything looks right when I re-Submitted.

Is there a way to insert photos in the text before Submitting?

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Are you using Internet Explorer? Apparently there’s a bug of some sort that prevents you from seeing the “Insert” button. You can either switch browsers, or use the “Compatibility Mode” in IE, and it should work.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.