Advanced Search

Case for Wicked Edge

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box Case for Wicked Edge

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

A plastic box from a local fisherman’s shop that happens to fit the WE paddles perfectly… And made by a US company. 😀

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Very nice!

-Clay

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Yes it is nice!!

Can you tell us if it has some kind of model number, who the manufacturer is, and where you got it?

Thanks,
    Phil

Mark76
    Participant

Can you tell us if it has some kind of model number, who the manufacturer is, and where you got it?

I bought it at a local Fisherman’s shop, not a chain, in the Netherlands. It is really a cheap plastic box (but very functional 😉 ) without any manufacturer details on it. And of course I threw away the paper wrap it came in that did give more details…

I’ll pay this shop a visit next weekend and see if they have more of these boxes in stock, so that I can find out who the manufacturer is.

Cheers,
    Mark

Cory Nash
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 3

Looks like it could be a Plano Flipsider spinnerbait box. Model number 3744-00.

LINK

Mark76
    Participant

Looks like it could be a Plano Flipsider spinnerbait box. Model number 3744-00.

LINK

Yup, that’s the one! I immediately recognize the brand name, Plano. The picture on the site of which you provided the link even shows the hanger I cut off, since it has little use. Thanks, you just saved me a trip to the shop :D.

What the photographs don’t show is that there is still quite a bit of room behind the angled stone holders. I use it to store stropping compounds. Plano also have a model that is one size bigger. Might be useful if you have a lot of stones/strops.

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Thanks guys…
    I just may pick one up … If the shipping is not more than the box.
    I live n Denver, Co. Maybe I will check around locally too.

Thanks again !

Pinkfloyd
    Participant
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 208

Mark,
    I purchased this case on Amazon (Plano Flip Sider 3744 ), but the lid wont close with the hones in. Did you have to mod, or is this one different?

Dave

Mark76
    Participant

Hmm… here it doesn’t close *perfectly*, but it closes fine. The stones press just a little against the plastic top, but the plastic is flexible enough.

However, the “stone holders” (they were not designed for this purpose) at the left and the right site of the box require you to position the stones properly. If you position them in the wrong place, they will stick out. My Chosera stones (which are slightly thicker than the stock stones) don’t fit in at the left and right stone holders, but they fit perfectly in the middle stone holders.

It is a bit hard to explain, but fiddle a little bit with the stones in the stone holders to get them as low as possible and you’ll recognize what I mean.

Bill
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 20

I found this case at the container store ( $24.99). The foam insert is precut at 1/4 ” intervals so its easy to cut out with a serrated knife. I work farmers markets in the summer and this set up works great for me. I also use a smaller version for my stropping paddles.

Attachments:
    Bill
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 20

I found this case at the container store ( $24.99). The foam insert is precut at 1/4 ” intervals so its easy to cut out with a serrated knife. I work farmers markets in the summer and this set up works great for me. I also use a smaller version for my stropping paddles.

Pinkfloyd
    Participant

Mark, I did a mod on the holders with a Dremel tool, now they fit perfectly, and the lid doesnt pinch on the stones.

Attachments:
    Pinkfloyd
    Participant

Here is another pic, it didnt attach

Attachments:
    Mark76
    Participant

Mark, I did a mod on the holders with a Dremel tool, now they fit perfectly, and the lid doesnt pinch on the stones.

Nice! I’ll give that a try myself.

Richard Green
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 23

As promised in my Welcome Mat post, here are some photos of the case I made for my WEPS Pro-Pack I.

I started with this Pelican 1500 case that was sitting unused in my basement:

The Pelican case was a no-brainer for storing my WEPS because it didn’t represent an additional cost. This is a $100 case, so I don’t expect folks to run out and spend that kind of money to do what I did, unless you travel with your WEPS a lot (the Pelican 1500 is major rugged.) But perhaps my approach will suggest some techniques for building your own case based on a cheaper alternative.

I previously used this case to transport a ham radio transceiver, but later obtained a much lighter custom cloth shoulder bag for that. The photo below shows the cutout in the foam that I had made for the radio:

I had removed the strips of foam along the front and back to fit the radio. The photo shows the rear strip glued back in. I glued the front strip back in too. (Of course I saved them! Doesn’t everybody? :silly: )

As luck would have it, with the strips glued back in, the WEPS base fit the cutout perfectly:

Actually, I didn’t have to glue the strips back in because the cutouts didn’t extend the full length of the base, but they do provide more padding and secure other items that go in the case, as you will see.

The inside of the case is 6 1/8″ deep without the top and bottom foam. The WEPS vice, mounted on the Wicked Edge base with the stock rubber feet is 6″ high. So there’s 1/8″ clearance between the top of the vice and the lid of the case. With the 1″-2″ top foam pad inserted, the cover stops about 1/2″ short of closing. It closes with gentle pressure, causing the vice to compress the top pad to 1/8″. The WEPS is held firmly in place without undue pressure on the top of the vice.

In the photo of the inside of the empty case, a couple of photos back, you can see that the foam in the bottom of the case has been removed. This was necessary to fit the WEPS. With the foam in place, I felt there was too much pressure required to close the case, and hence too much pressure on the top of the vice. It’s no big deal because the rubber feet on the bottom of the base provide all the padding needed on that side.

I made a slot in the foam for the WEPS Guide Rods and Alignment Guide:

The case foam is constructed of 1/2″ x 1/2″ x 3 1/2″ pieces that can easily be ripped apart to make shapes like this. I filled the bottom of the slot with foam pieces to keep the rods and guide from slipping to the bottom of the case. The rods and guide could have gone in the boxes that hold the stones (to be revealed below), but I wanted to leave maximum room for stones and small accessories in those boxes.

Even with the foam in the top of the case pressing on them, the rods had a tendency to come out of the slot when the case was held upside down and shaken hard. So I used a cheap 9V battery clip from Radio Shack to hold them in:

The clip leaves are curved outward at the bottom, so they grip the foam and stay put.

Next, I made two pads to go over the Base Rod ends and cushion/support the boxes that hold the stones:

Here are the pads in position:

The case has plenty of room between the pads and vice for soft accessories. Here I’ve put in a couple of widths of painter’s tape to protect blades from vice marks, some paper towels, a microfiber cloth and some alcohol prep pads:

Now for the best part. I found an ArtBin pencil box that holds the stones perfectly:

The pencil box (model 6900AB) costs $6.29. I’m using two of them. You can get them from the above website or from Amazon. I got one of mine at a local hobby store and the other from the Artbin website, along with this model (3900AB), which costs $5.59. The 3900AB works, but the spacer slots, which are used to make smaller compartments, make it a tight squeeze for the stones. This model box might be suitable for, say, a pair of stones set on edge and some accessories. I ended up not using it.

As you can see, the indentations for the cover clasps make the front trough too narrow to lay the stones on edge. But they do fit (snugly) if rotated 90-degrees. The case is soft polycarbonate, so I’m sure it’s not harming the surface of the stones to have them sitting on the plastic bottom of the box. The box comes with soft rubber protective pads on the left, but I added some pieces cut from the Pelican case foam at both ends to cushion the stones and keep the from sliding around.

The box shown above has my Coarse-through-Fine stones. The second box has my Super-Fine stones, strops and stropping compounds:

Again, I used some small pieces of foam to better secure the stones, and some additional pieces to make smaller compartments for the stropping compounds, a Sharpies, Q-tips for feeling fine burrs, the knife brace, and the cool magnifying loupe that (unexpectedly) came with my Pro-Pack I.

The one thing I must remember to do is always insert the strops facing the same way so that the strops don’t get contaminated with paste from the other side that has wiped off on the plastic trough walls. To help do this, I’ve adopted the convention that the stones ascend in grit rating from front to back of the case (coarsest in front, finest in back.)

Here’s the case with the two boxes in position:

The boxes are elevated just enough by the two pads so that the foam in the top of the case keeps them in place. Also, the cover hinges of the boxes butt up against the vice, further securing the boxes. It does not appear that this stresses the vice at all. The case with the super-fine stones and strops is very light, much lighter than the case with the coarser stones, so I put the former in front so that there would be less weight on the vice when the case is held vertically. I don’t think the vice is in danger of damage from the plastic boxes.

As for expansion, I could fit one more pair of stones or strops in the second box by putting the small accessories on either side of the vice, perhaps held in place with small plastic boxes. Or, I could put them in cutouts on the right side of the case. There’s just enough room for a pair of stones in a cutout on the right side of the case, but I don’t like the idea of the stones touching the foam.

For even more expansion, it turns out that by removing the two pads on either side of the vice, there’s enough room to stack two cases in front of and behind the vice. They tilt to the front and back, respectively, because of the rise in the base of the vice, but they still fit and are held securely in place by the top cover.

I’m using the case mainly for storage and to keep the WEPS safe from inadvertent damage. I doubt I’ll travel with it. I could sharpen with the vice in the case, but I wouldn’t want to get metal filings all over the foam. So I’ll be removing the vice when I need to use it. In that sense, Cory’s beautiful tray is a more practical solution for storing/using the WEPS at home, if you have the room for it. My case does have the advantage of taking up less space.

So that’s it! Hope this gives you ideas on making your own case. Any suggestions for improvements to mine are welcome.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.