Advanced Search

Best knife lube for pivot and washers?

Recent Forums Main Forum Off Topic Best knife lube for pivot and washers?

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Yup. I use nano-oil too. Despite its name it’s not an oil.
    The alternative is to use something that repels moisture, like WD-40. That works, too, but I’ve found that nano-oil lubricates better.

Just curious Mark… if not an oil, what is it? It looks like oil, acts like oil…and smells like oil…
    You know the one about the Duck right…If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck… well it probably is a Duck..
    🙂
    [/quote]

You’re completely right. It’s a mineral oil with additives. What I meant is that the pivot remains smooth for a long time, much longer than I’d expect for a pure oil that “wears out”. (My comparison here is Ballistol, which IMHO is great for rust prevention, but less for lubrication.)

In case anyone is interested, here is a long thread on nano-oil at the Spyderco forums.

And, like Curtis, I only use oil on a pivot when I feel it is necessary. The majority of my folders are still without any lubricant at all.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Brewbear
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 168

Trying to revive this thread and see there have been any improvements or newer and better lubricants for folding knives.

airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 367

Not sure where I read about it, but have it in hand but not opened yet.. Check ProTecta  and see if that might do the trick https://www.amazon.com/ProTecta-Bottle-Precision-lubricating-applicator/dp/B0041OXUZS

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Lay
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 27

I tried to search this same topic recently. Nano-oil and Daiwa reel oil were recommended by many. Since I already had the Daiwa reel oil, I have been using it for the past year. Seems to work well.

https://www.amazon.com/Daiwa-Oiler-64110100-Needle-Dispenser/dp/B005112BDW/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=daiwa+reel+oil&psc=1&qid=1572420837&sr=8-1

Edit: I just read some of the reviews. Seems a bit funny that it is reel oil but so many people have bought it for folding knives.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by Lay.
    Expidia
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 339

The Chris Reeve folders I collect all come with a little tube of white grease which is their own formula. I also have Nano oil (great stuff).

But my favorite grease for knife pivots (and is the closest to the OEM Chris Reeve grease) is a tube of this Finish Line Fluorinated Grease used by cyclists around the world!

Available from Amazon.  A little goes a long way, so this tube last for years.  Also good for any moving parts on the WE system.

Attachments:
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I’ll have to try Expedia’s lube, but generally, I try to keep anything wet or sticky out of my pocket knives, as they tend to collect grit that accumulates in my pockets.  I’ve been using the Flitz Rifle, Gun & Knife Wax.  It dries right up, leaving a protectant film of wax.  It isn’t necessarily a lubricant, but I think dripping a little into the pivot points would do the job..

I’ve got a half-dozen cans of compressed air laying around and when I notice lint and stuff accumulating in the joints of my EDC knives, I give ’em a quick blast.

Pat
    Participant
    • Topics: 16
    • Replies: 114

What about nano oil?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Expidia
    Participant

Nano oil is great stuff albeit expensive and a lot of hype for a lube.  Probably better suited for knives with bearings IMO.  I use a combo of grease with a drop or two of Nano on my Benchmades.  Chris Reeve’s knives have no bearings only two flat washers with holes in them to hold their grease.  This gives their knives a hydraulic action.   Using Nano oil on their knives kinda defeats this action.

Just be aware that Nano oil is real slick and I have 3 knock “Land” knives that look exactly like Chris Reeves knives (like $24 on Amazon amazingly well made).  They use bearings.  I always carry with a pocket clip.  My office mate does not and he sliced up his finger a few months ago as the blade opened in the bottom of his pocket which might have been from the slickness as a result from the Nano oil I bought him.

Tip: when carrying a knife with a pocket clip always position the knife on the clip so if the blade opens in your pocket . . . the blade opens *towards the seam of your pants (not your B@lls!)

• you will know that you had it clipped wrong and the blade opened as your voice will suddenly get higher and your leg will feel a warm dripping  :o)
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by Expidia.
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

That same thing (knife opened in pocket resulting in very bad laceration) happened to a friend of mine about 15 years ago. He recovered and was okay, but that taught me early on to only cary with the blade towards the seam of the pocket as Expidia described.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Brewbear
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 168

I agree with you guys, protecting the family jewels is paramount! I happen to have the Finish Line grease/lube @Expidia posted but hadn’t used yet, mainly because I forgot I had it. I will give it a go in the near future.

Nano oil is great stuff albeit expensive and a lot of hype for a lube. Probably better suited for knives with bearings IMO. I use a combo of grease with a drop or two of Nano on my Benchmades. I have 3 knock “Land” knives that look exactly like Chris Reeves knives (like $24 on Amazon amazingly well made). They use bearings. I always carry with a pocket clip. My office mate does not and he sliced up his finger a few months ago as the blade opened in the bottom of his pocket which might have been from the slickness as a result from the Nano oil I bought him. Tip: when carrying a knife with a pocket clip always position the knife on the clip so if the blade opens in your pocket . . . the blade opens *towards the seam of your pants (not your B@lls!)

• you will know that you had it clipped wrong and the blade opened as your voice will suddenly get higher and your leg will feel a warm dripping :o)

If I may ask, which “Land” folders and which nano oil?

Expidia
    Participant

I have 3 Lands.  They take a beautiful WE too.  Like $26.  Search Amazon for Land knife 12C27.  This one is with the G10 handles.  I like this one better over their stainless (which is also beautiful) as it does not show scratches.  A Chris Reeve large Sebenza starts at $350.  For $26 this one even comes with a pocket ceramic sharpener for a quick touch up!  Some of the others are $21.  I have probably 17 folders in my collection and you would not believe how nicely made and weighty these $21 to $26 Land Knives are.  Even comes with free Prime 1 day shipping . . . Amazing!

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.