Advanced Search

Benchmade 580 Barrage challenge

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    William
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 38

This knife is presenting a unique challenge for me in two ways.  Mounting and sharpening.   The knife is tapered on both sides of the blade. You will see the definitive ridge along the blade in picture and how it tapers back towards the spine.  So when I attempt to clamp, it slips out.   I tried chamois at first.  Too slippery.  Tried painters tape for some grip, but I have to get it just right.  If not, I start to see a gradual slipping where the clamp is peeling off the tape.

Second challenge.   In finding the Sweet Spot, I started at 17°.  Got me reasonably close and the Sharpie was telling me, I might have to move the knife back towards me.  In doing so, the stone does not even touch the blade towards the tip.  It’s mounted in top holes.   Blade is 3.60” in length .   About 7/8”, the widest point where the edge begins after the serrated portion.  Tapers from there

Suggestions or work arounds or is this a special S.O.L case?

thanks!

William

Attachments:
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

This would be a case where I would reach for my Tormek small knife adapter. As a alternative you might have better luck clamping the blade if you apply a few layers of that aluminium foil tape used in duct work.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Before giving up and going to the Tormek, I’d try removing the thumb stud and clamp it on the flat that is now exposed.  To find a “version” of the sweet spot, try angling the blade upward or downward.  Theoretically, the straight section should produce equal angles for its entire length.  The challenge is to match the angle at the tip using the Sharpie.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Pinkfloyd
    Participant
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 208

William,

I have used electrical shrink tubing on some knives that have slipped with chamois. Also double sided tape layered might work for good adhesion also.

Sometimes i have to mount a knife above the top holes, but still enough in the clamp to hold the knife. With the AAG its easy to record the position. Hope you find something that works.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

All the above are good suggestions worth trying.  I think the point Pinkfloyd made is very important.  The depth pin and those positions are handy most of the time. They do not need to be used, though.  When positioning the knife doesn’t allow for contact with the pins, so be it.  You can still use the depth key to hold the Advanced Alignment Guide to record a successful sharpening position before you unclamp the finished knife.  In the mean time free form position it.  Move the knife any way you need to, to get secure clamping purchase on the blade.

Between the flat area close to the hinge point with the thumb stud removed, as Tom suggested, and with layered aluminum tape forward of there I think you’ll get something going.

For these challenging situations, I suggest you first work with a very obtuse angle 22º to 25º  and with fine grit stones.  Just enough to see how the stone is meeting the edge and removing the marker.  That way you won’t remove steel from anywhere you really wouldn’t want to.  Then as you should continue to actually scratch metal to see how well your matching the profile.  You’ll be more obtuse then the angle you’re going to sharpen it at.  When you finally get the position determine and choose your working angle, it’ll be more acute then what you’ve done so far, so it’ll remove all the test scratches.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

William, I want to add something.  With the tension adjustment and the split jaws of the WE130, you have some variability when clamping uneven thicknesses.  If you tighten up the tension accordingly the jaws will grip and flex to conform to the uneven surface.  So if you build up the blade with aluminum foil type duct tape, multiple layers it will compress under the clamping pressure and the jaws will flex to conform to the built up thickness of the blade. The uneven thickness knife will still stay even and centered as the jaws flex around it.  That’s the beauty and efficiency of the split jaws in conjunction with the tension adjustment.  It allows for a lot of leeway.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    William
    Participant

Thanks guys for all the great suggestions!  So far, no dice yet.  It’s being a stubborn bastard.  I tried 6 layers of foil tape that I just so happened to have.  Three times and almost 2 hours of fiddling.   Upped the tension a bit.  I had the tension of a quarter way up.  Maybe I need more?  For about a minute I thought I had something going and it slipped right out.   That’s just trying to clamp.  The Sweet Spot search was a different albatross.   In some attempts, the stones were touching the sides of the clamp, not the edge.    Maybe I do need to invest in the tormek small knife adapter.    The final issue is it kinda takes the fun out of just small prep of just taping over pivot, blade recess and quickly clamping at the registered points of the AAG and a quick strop session.

Thanks again guys.   Any suggestions welcome!   It wants to be stubborn.   I’m stubborn too.

William

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

The Tormek will get the job done, but you’ll have to sacrifice the repeatability to some extent. The other remaining option is to remove the blade and clamp on the pivot flat like Tom suggested. You will be able to consistently clamp the blade that way, but you’ll have to disassemble the knife every time.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    William
    Participant

The Tormek will get the job done, but you’ll have to sacrifice the repeatability to some extent. The other remaining option is to remove the blade and clamp on the pivot flat like Tom suggested. You will be able to consistently clamp the blade that way, but you’ll have to disassemble the knife every time.

Thanks!   At least I will have the tormek attachment for future sharpenings and any other small knife I may come across.  Sharpies and a known angle should get me reasonably close to dial it in.   I should’ve bought the Spyderco…..

William
    Participant

Quick update.     I finally got it!   The secret formula was duct tape and the tension at the half way position.  As I said, it was stubborn but so am I.  🙂  In any event, I put a nice, shiny edge on the Barrage and I think it’s sharper than from the factory.

William

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I use a paper towel wrapped around the spine for some traction and to protect the blade. Then what I would try on this particular one is to use paper towel, then get the rear nub of the jaw on the blade flat (near the stud) and the other forward nub wont’ matter, just make sure it’s firmly on the transition point. Then tilt your handle up in the air w/ the point down towards the base as much as you can w/ out allowing your stone to hit the vise at the desired angle. This should be  you there. If you need more clearance or lower angles, use the tormek jig as suggested.

William
    Participant

I use a paper towel wrapped around the spine for some traction and to protect the blade. Then what I would try on this particular one is to use paper towel, then get the rear nub of the jaw on the blade flat (near the stud) and the other forward nub wont’ matter, just make sure it’s firmly on the transition point. Then tilt your handle up in the air w/ the point down towards the base as much as you can w/ out allowing your stone to hit the vise at the desired angle. This should be you there. If you need more clearance or lower angles, use the tormek jig as suggested.

Great suggestions Josh!!  Thanks!   I will definitely try the paper towel trick.  The duct tape and tension, while it worked, I could probably slip a piece of paper in between the knife and the jaws.  It was very close!

William

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.