Advanced Search

Anyone know anything about this Laser Edge Finder on Amazon

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Anyone know anything about this Laser Edge Finder on Amazon

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Rodger
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 20

Anyone have any experience with this item on Amazon:  Laser Knife Edge Reader

It sells for $49.95. I was wondering how reliable it is because the price certainly seems reasonable for what looks like a hobby type goniometer.

Thanks

Attachments:
    000Robert
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 406

Anyone have any experience with this item on Amazon: Laser Knife Edge Reader It sells for $49.95. I was wondering how reliable it is because the price certainly seems reasonable for what looks like a hobby type goniometer. Thanks

Most people that I have heard from recommend this one. They also have better models but they are more expensive.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    NotSharpEnuff
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 120

Thanks Rodger!

I just ordered one.  I have the CATRA Hobbigoni and I use it all the time – before and after sharpening.  One drawback to this model is that it doesn’t accommodate larger (spine->bevel) knives.  This new one looks like it has more depth to handle larger kitchen knives.  I’ll also compare the accuracy between them and post again.

Ed K.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Rodger
    Participant

Looking at the Hobbigoni, which I’m sure is a great unit, but out the door to the USA looks to be about $180. This other one, I’m sure, is more cheaply built but seems to fit the bill and is “only” $50. Hence me wondering if it would be “good enough” for me to figure out knives’ angles before I sharpen them. Am curious what you think once you get it NotSharpEnough.

£97 + shipping (approx US$150) + UK vat at 20%
    Other Country shipping £20 (approx $31) including UK tax refund

Rodger
    Participant
    000Robert
    Participant

It might be a pretty good one. I don’t worry about it. I just clamp the knives up and reprofile them anyway, so I know what the angles are. I need to get a 3 ton Arbor press and a decent belt grinder first. I would like to get a Rockwell tester some time also.

Kenneth
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 33

I ordered the last one. It will be here in a few days. I’ll let you know once I get it

2 users thanked author for this post.
    NotSharpEnuff
    Participant

Rodger,

Got the Laser Knife Edge Reader (LKER) a few hours ago.  It comes with a spare set of batteries and a test blade.  The laser is not centered or aligned when it arrives.  You have to manually adjust three screws to center the beam.  Not a very tight stable setup in my opinion.  If you only use it a home and not take it on the road it probably will do O.K.

Testing using both the Hobbigoni and the LKER, they both show very close readings using my PM2 with a double bevel.  The LKER laser dot is more focused than my Hobbigoni so it is not a perfect match.

+LKER can measure knives (spine->bevel) up to ~2.5″.  Hobbigoni is limited to ~1.75″.

+LKER has an on/off button.  Hobbigoni has a momentary push switch.  You have to hold the button down while taking measurements. Makes it hard to take pictures of your measurements.

LKER has a maximum bevel measurement of 24DPS.

https://laserknifeedgereader.com/faq%2C-video%2C-owners-manual

Ed K.

Attachments:
    3 users thanked author for this post.
    NotSharpEnuff
    Participant

Last Pic.

Attachments:
    2 users thanked author for this post.
    Rodger
    Participant

Hi Ed,

For $50 that seems like a pretty good deal. I’ll go ahead and get one too because I don’t travel with my gear. It does look a little fragile but I do like that the light stays on and the price for what you get seems fair. Thanks for letting me know. Much appreciated.

R.

Rodger
    Participant

Oops, you said you ordered the last one. I’ll check with them on their website to see if they’re going to have more.

Kenneth
    Participant

Just got mine today. Been playing with it im not sure what to think. I tried measuring a Kizer Sheep Dog medium size. Blade was showing approximately 10 degrees

Kenneth
    Participant

Ok so I think I screwed my knife up. When I first measured my knife with factory blade. It was showing 20 degrees. Now when I read it I just have a blurry line on both sides.

Anyone have experience with this unit as well as the  one that cost 150.00 from the UK? Is it worth the 150.00 for better performance?

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

It takes a good amount of practice to figure out how to use your W.E. sharpener well.  Maybe a good 10 knives or more.  It’s not hard to use the Gen 3 Pro, but it’s not simple either.  Coincidentally  it takes 8 or 10 knives worth of sharpening to just begin to get your sharpening stones broken in to where they’ll begin to yield good consistent results.

It’s suggested that you practice on old, junk or beater knives.  Save your good knives for when you’ve got it down.

If the LKER showed 20° factory edge when you first measured that knife, the blurry lines are a reflection of your sharpening job.  Let that knife lay till you’ve gained some more sharpening experience.  Then you’ll go back and finish it nicely.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

000Robert
    Participant

Your WE is all you need to find the edge angles on a blade. Clamp up the blade, run your sharpie down the edge, and use your 1500 or 1000 stone lightly until you take off all of the sharpie marks from the edges. You now know what they are profiled to. Shouldn’t take more than 5 – 10 minutes, tops.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.