Advanced Search

Any tips on sharpening a Sandrin tungsten carbide blade

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Any tips on sharpening a Sandrin tungsten carbide blade

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Glenn Goodlett
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 13

My Sandrin Monza finally got somewhat dull. I tried following the best I could the instructions on their website on sharpening. The best I could get was a BESS of 370. Upon inspection with a microscope the edge looks chipped out pretty badly. Any ideas would be appreciated. I have a WE 130 with diamond stones, lapping films, etc.

Home – Sandrin Knives USA

Sandrin sharpening video- Sharpening a Sandrin Tungsten Carbide Blade – YouTube

MarcH
    • Topics: 67
    • Replies: 2640

I find I get good sharpening results using W. E. whetstones when attempting to sharpen very hard and chip prone steels.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

What has worked for me on very chip prone material, in my case ceramic blades, use finer stones than you normally would and very light pressure. To much grit and they chip, to much pressure they chip. I like the idea of the whetstones, the softer stones will help prevent chipping. Take your time because it will take longer to sharpen than normal knives.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.