Advanced Search

Adapter Caps for Non Magnetic Stones

Recent Forums Main Forum Pass Around and Buy / Sell / Trade Want to Sell Adapter Caps for Non Magnetic Stones

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I want to introduce and review this newest design made by forum member “airscapes”.  It is an Adapter Cap for Non-Magnetic Mediums: Stones, Strops and Glass Lapping Plates.

Adapter-Cap-and-Stone-Stops

“airscapes” and I collaborated on this new design concept after we decided something like this would be handy and helpful to have and use when  sharpening with our WEPS devices. (“airscapes” is the maker of the popular “stone stops” some of us enjoy using and find so helpful.)  I have been using and beta testing a prototype for a while now.  It does what’s it’s expected to do, and well.   It allows an easy and effective way to use our magnetic digital angle cubes to set the guide rod angles when we use non magnetic mediums like strops, lapping films, ceramic stones and whetstones.  These mediums don’t allow us to attach our magnetic digital angle devices.  To make use of the magnetic cube with non-magnetic sharpening and polishing mediums, that we use, we have to hold the angle cube in place and in flat contact with the paddle while trying to adjust the guide rod angles simultaneously.  It sometimes proves to be a real juggling act.   Certainly a lot of back and forth and double checking to get it precise.

The adapters simply hangs over the paddle that is slid down on the guide rod, while it is leaning and resting against the knife edge.  These adapters have a steel plate that lays flat against the paddles opposite side’s surface, which is parallel to the side which we’re setting the angle for.  The flexible strap holds the steel plate secure and flat to offset the pull from the weight of the magnetic digital cube attached magnetically to the adapter cap’s incorporated flat steel bar.  Depending on which paddle and medium you are using, and what angle your setting the rods to using the adapter, you may or may not even need to use the strap.  With the relatively thin and compressible leather strops I found the straps aren’t necessary.  It frees up your hands to allow you to easily move the guide rod angle arms and make gross and micro-fine angle adjustments.  These adapter caps fit and works well with any medium of any thickness whether very thin glass or very thick whetstones.  As long as the two sides of the paddle are parallel the adapter is designed to work well to help you easily set your guide rod angles.

“airscapes’ is the hobby designer, 3D printer and producer of these Adapter Caps, (and the stone stops).  I know he doesn’t have any ready to ship,  yet, but he is gearing up for printing and production soon.  I was anxious to show off this great helpful mod tool.  If you have interest in owning and using this Non-Magnetic Stone Adapter Cap,  contact “airscape” by PM.

Clip-on-Adapter-caps
    Non-Magnetic-Stone-Angle-Setting-Adapter

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Attachments:
    5 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

That’s pretty cool. It is amazing what you can do with a 3D printer and some creativity.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Brewbear
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 168

Very nice! Sign me up for a set!

airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 367

I am working on getting a few sets fabricated. Ordered some flexible filament to make the straps and amazon has screwed the pooch.. was supposed to be delivered Friday..still has not arrived and no posted delivery date.  For those of you who have my email address and want these non magnetic stone angle cube hangers, email me so I can put you all in a folder in one place.  Otherwise PM me and I will send you my email

I also have a question for folks:

These hanger need a 5.5″ piece of 1 inch X 1/8″ flat bar steel stock to function.  I really don’t feel like buying bar stock and cutting up pieces and having to charge more for shipping.. Can I assume most of you guys who would want these can buy and cut you own bar stock or should I investigate shipping cost with the added weight as well as a price for my time and material cost??

The cut piece of bar stock steel simply presses into the adapter cap. It’s friction held.  You can gentle tap the steel into the gap with a small hammer or a pliers:

Steel-Bar-Slot

Thanks

Doug

Attachments:
    3 users thanked author for this post.
    Brewbear
    Participant

Speaking for myself, I’d rather buy the whole kit. I’m saying this because my time is in short supply. I know it could get cumbersome to deal with but maybe having two groups would be an option?

2 users thanked author for this post.
    airscapes
    Participant

Thanks Brewbear, and yes I will most likely offer several options.  Single hanger with strap, with/or without bar and a double set which is not really needed since you have to remove the accessory to use the WE.   No advantage in having a pair unless you have 2 angle cubes and 4 arms 😉

Marc H

I like to set up my two adapters on both stones to start.  Then I just swap the cube from side to side.  This lets me quickly double check my angles if I want to without having to remove the one adapter and swap it from side to side.

For me swapping out the stones as I progress through the grits, double checking guide rod angle settings and making micro-angle adjustments can be time consuming and tedious.  When I’m past the initial coarse grits and profiling and I’m now doing the refining grits I like to get it going,  By then I get into a rhythm.  I like to keep on it and get it done.  Any way I can expedite it is good.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Brewbear
    Participant

I sure wished I had a set of these caps today!!!!

airscapes
    Participant

I sure wished I had a set of these caps today!!!!

You and a couple other folks!  Today at lunch I will take my hanger to the post office with an address on the west cost and get shipping cost.  After work I have to go to HD for some parts for a few other small projects I have on Saturdays To-Do list and  will pick up some bar stock and get a few cut.  May have time on Sunday to setup to fabricate the straps.  If it all comes together I will post pricing for a first go round and email those of you who have sent me mail with requests.

airscapes
    Participant

Hey guys/gals, I have been working through an issue with the metal bar and the press fit. Seems that the bar I used when designing this was made by Stanley Hardware (not sure where or when I bought that) and was a bit thicker than 1/8″  So when I bought the last piece Loews had and one from Home Depot,  neither would fit in the adapters I had made, bars were too thin!   So I will have sell these as a complete unit and  make them to fit each bar.  I went back and measured the few pieced HD had and they did vary considerably.  I really don’t want to sell just the cap and strap only to have the person buy bar stock that does not fit.

So all that said, I have about 15 ready for sale.
    Prices includes:
    Fully assembled unit consisting of the adapter cap, strap and bar, shipped with first class package shipping including tracking (Lower 48).
    Price for 1 unit $26
    Price for 2 units $47
    Add up to 4 stones stops, at no additional shipping, just pay $3 for each stop.

4 Stops still available separately for $17 shipped.

Please send me a PM and I will provide you the email address to send me your shipping info and to use for PayPal if you don’t already have it.   When submitting fund via PayPal, please use the friends and family / gift option so they don’t charge me a fee.

Thanks!

Doug

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by airscapes.
    Attachments:
    Brewbear
    Participant

I received my set, they look great. I haven’t had any time to use them but I can tell you all shipping is fast and the caps alone make it worth buying the set. I wish I know about the stops, They are first rate and, oh ,well,  I guess I may have been among the first to get the caps (after MarcH). I will get around ordering another set of stops but for now, I have to run.

Mike
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 18

I received my strap in the mail, and it, and the stops are top shelf, and work well, thanks Doug.  I now know what angle my strops are set at instead of guessing.

airscapes
    Participant

Thanks Mike! Glad you like it and yes, setting the angle of strops with the same ease as a diamond stone is much less cumbersome.

Richard
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 183

I had an issue earlier with my new adapter caps on 1200-grit ceramic.  They’ve been working flawlessly but I noticed an extreme angle change when transitioning from scrubbing to stroking so I threw the adapter cap on it and then the angle cube.  Everything looked good, I was going for a 24 degree bevel and it was dead nuts but as I inspected the setup more carefully, I saw an air gap at the bottom of the adapter between the plastic mold and the metal bar that the angle cube clamps down on.  So I took pictures of my initial setup and then another after I clamped the bar down.  I looked to see if this had been addressed already but didn’t see anything.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Richard.
    Attachments:
    Marc H

Richard the extra clamp at the bottom will probably overcome your issue.

You might try loosening up the adapter’s elastic strap.  If it’s fastened too tight, it’ll raise/lift the steel bar off contact with the stone at the bottom.  Just what you’re experiencing.  The strap is meant to be used as loose as it can be fastened, simply to keep the adapter positioned and from tipping over to the side.  You may be able to get by without even needing to use the strap.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.