Advanced Search

Wicked Edge – the Hot Rod Version

Recent Forums Main Forum Off Topic Wicked Edge – the Hot Rod Version

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

You show how video can be a very good visual alternative to text, Steven! It’s the first time I see it applied like this. Thanks!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

Absolutely!

I prefer short videos over text. It makes being online feel not so “online.” … But that’s just me. Plus, people are more likely to give you a bit of their valued time if you make it easier for them to do so.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Clay,

Here’s a video I shot to try answering your question…

http://youtu.be/4XAID1FFEhk%5B/quote%5D

Cool video, thanks! I’ll be thinking about it for a bit…

-Clay

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

Awesome! That’s all we can hope for.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I just measured my Fallkniven. It’s 5.9 mm at the spine. My Swamprat Ratmandu measures 4.8 mm at the spine.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Daniel Nash
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 22

Can’t wait for this to come out, Clay! Been super stoked ever since you said you might be working on this a few months back. Even with the current thickness limitation, I’d be in. If you solve that, even better!

~Dan

Paul-Henri Jeannel
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 2

I have very recently purchased a Wicked Edge w/PP2. I have never sharpened a knife before and I am finding this system very frustrating, this floating vice could be what keeps me from returning it.

Will this be offered as an upgrade or is it version 2.0?

Do you have any further updates on design finalization or availability?

Thank you & Happy New Year

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Happy New Year Major! And welcome aboard.

Please don’t give up so easily. If you need advise or help, this is the place to holler for it. Everybody here is eager to help and there’s a ton of wisdom here.

If you think the floating vice would solve your problem, then I infer that you’re having a hard time dealing with Full Flat Ground knives, like most Spydercos. Our user Razoredgeknives (Josh) has a helpful video at https://knife.wickededgeusa.com/forum/9-basic-techniques-and-sharpening-strategies/13013-video-mounting-ffg-blades-spyderco-esp#17844

To find the most helpful information in previous posts, use the search tab at the top of this forum (not the search box at the top right of your screen).

Also be advised that your new diamond stones require quite a bit of break-in usage before they’ll produce nice uniform cutting patterns without deep scratches. Find a batch of cheap knives to practice on. Several of us go to the local Salvation Army store and pick up an armful for a few bucks.

Re your Q about availability, I think Clay is still working that out, It sounds like they fully intend to offer it as an upgrade – but I suspect the cost is probably a problem. In any case, the floating vise makes mounting FFG knives easier, not possible. All of us who have sharpened hundreds of knives have learned to deal with it.

You can also read my post on this thread: https://knife.wickededgeusa.com/forum/sharpening-as-a-business/12838-victorinox-skinner-bound-for-savannah-ga#16260 which shows an alternate method.

Tom

Gerald Welsby
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 34

Whoah Major! What is it you are finding frustrating about the current version (WEPS 2)? Just tell us what you think is not working right and there’ll be loads of people jumping in to help. FWIW, I think the as yet unnamed WEPS 3 will be a major advance for all of us, but the current version still gives excellent results!
    Regards,
    Gerald.

Gerald Welsby
    Participant

Victor,
    don’t worry about being a guinea pig. There’ll be hordes of early-adopters prepared to be Lemmings to get hold of this!
    Gerald.

Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

Whoah Major! What is it you are finding frustrating about the current version (WEPS 2)? Just tell us what you think is not working right and there’ll be loads of people jumping in to help. FWIW, I think the as yet unnamed WEPS 3 will be a major advance for all of us, but the current version still gives excellent results!
    Regards,
    Gerald.

Welcome aboard. In the world of knife sharpening, some of the best in the world hang out here and gladly share their expertise & wisdom.

I am already saving my $$ for the floating vise upgrade.

That being said, the current setup can create bevels within plus/minus .05 degrees (per angle cube) — if I have an adequate understanding of the theory of sharpening, an understanding of what’s going on in the steel at the edge and, for me, mostly, the patience to let the WE do what it’s designed to do.

Hang in there. Practice. Post pictures and ask questions. (I won’t answer too many questions but other people’s answers are how I’ve been learning!)

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

Gerald Welsby
    Participant

I can’t think of a downside to this upgrade. OK, maybe the blade thickness limitation. Or maybe $$. I spend enough time just fiddling with the couple of FFGs I have to justify it, unless it’s stratospheric $$.

For you Fahrenheit – Inch guys out there, 4mm works out to about 0.1575″. That eliminates the 1/4″ Bowie knives and such.

Can anybody think of a downside I’m missing?

Ok, this is not a criticism, just a discussion around the new product. I’d like to say thanks to Clay for the “onwards and upwards” policy of WE and not resting on their laurels.
    My problem with the original WEPS 2 vice is that its left jaw is fixed vertically. (I’ve discussed this here in threads passim). That gave us two options: 1. tighten the vice and then do the maths to adjust the angles on the left and right sides. Should work perfectly but does not for non-expert sharpeners. 2. Try packing the left side with chamois or similar to even the angles either side. Worse, and not replicable.
    The new vice eliminates this problem by centring the blade perfectly. There, however, is the rub! Most of the knives I sharpen (my own, and those I’ve given as gifts to others) are Japanese and are asymmetrically ground, blade and edge. So I don’t want a perfect 50/50 split of the blade angle, but 60/40 or 70/30.
    I think that my problem can be worked around using Cliff’s Frankenvice (Or maybe Frankenstangle?).
    See: https://knife.wickededgeusa.com/forum/9-basic-techniques-and-sharpening-strategies/13230-asymmetrical-bevels-new-owner?start=10#20858
    I suspect that what will happen now is that I maintain a collection of cheaper Japanese knives, sharpened perfectly centred, and one of more exotic knives sharpened by doing some exact maths and then carefully applying the correct pressure to each side of the knife.
    Still can’t wait to get one!
    Gerald.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

My problem with the original WEPS 2 vice is that its left jaw is fixed vertically. (I’ve discussed this here in threads passim). That gave us two options: 1. tighten the vice and then do the maths to adjust the angles on the left and right sides. Should work perfectly but does not for non-expert sharpeners. 2. Try packing the left side with chamois or similar to even the angles either side. Worse, and not replicable.

Or you could just get an angle cube for $30 set your angles precisely in about 15 seconds, and sharpen away =)

Gerald Welsby
    Participant

Josh,
    don’t need to – one came with the kit:) The point remains though, I have to measure, do the maths, measure again, do the maths again and THEN set the angle.
    Btw, I’m having trouble finding your post about stones and metal removal. Can you give me a hint?
    G.

Gerald Welsby
    Participant

Hey Gib! Nice to put a message to the face:)
    My problem with the current vice will melt away once the new one arrives so I’l stop banging on about it. Here it is, for the last time. If I want to put 19 dos on an edge I have to set the left angle to 17 degrees and the right to 21 degrees. An extra step but not difficult with the angle cube. The problem then arises that I need to apply the same planar pressure to the left and right stones while sharpening, to remove the same amount of metal from either side. I assume that this becomes a muscle memory thing for men like Clay who do thousands of these things. It certainly is not, for me, yet. Nor for many others if one reads the cries of woe passim on this forum. Most of us apply more pressure to the right edge.
    As for the angle cube giving us angles accurate to 0.05 degrees…. Good luck with that one mate! The lash allowed by the rod pivot joints and between the rods and stone housings allows much more than that. Try setting a stone given your best efforts at 19 degrees, with the stone pushed fully up the rod. Push the middle of the rod firmly in the direction perpendicular to its length. Measure the angle of the stone. Now pull the middle of the rod firmly in the direction perpendicular to its length. Measure the angle again. I guarantee that the difference in angles will be more than 0.1 degrees! Then re-adjust the angle as you change stones 2 or 3 times and…
    This is what makes the variable stone thickness adapter such a good investment. You initially set your angle at 19 degrees but then when you swap stones you are still using the same approximation to 19 degrees. It makes a palpable difference. Try one if you haven’t already.
    Once again, it’s great to converse with you having seen your face so many times here.
    All the best,
    Gerald.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 75 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.