Advanced Search

Wicked Edge – the Hot Rod Version

Recent Forums Main Forum Off Topic Wicked Edge – the Hot Rod Version

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Can you do big knives like an Esee Junglass (sometimes I have to clamp these deeper in the vise)?

Good question. Clamping a Fallkniven A1 was a challenge to my current WEPS vise. If the new design can hold blades like this one, I’m pretty confident it can hold anything.

http://moleculepolishing.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/2-fallkniven-4.jpg%5B/img%5D

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

That is so ingenious… great job to all your engineering team and machine shop Clay!

I think it is a simple but outstanding design. two questions:

Does this limit the lower angle limit more than the regular vise (looks more square-ish)?
    Can you do big knives like an Esee Junglass (sometimes I have to clamp these deeper in the vise)?

Thanks Josh. It does great with the lower angles, it’s actually more narrow than the regular vise and riser, more like your custom set up. It is limited in how thick a knife it can hold. I’m still working on that a little to make the opening adjustable.

-Clay

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Looks really good, Clay. Congrats on another great execution.

I think I like the pinkfloyd74 option of deleting the handle and using a removable socket wrench . That way you’d have the option of laying the handle down to the left or to the right or remove it entirely to clear the workspace.

Something more like:

…but with a bigger socket.

Attachments:
    Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

I was listening and didn’t hear your voice raise an octave so knew you were probably still intact.

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

wickededge
    Keymaster

Looks really good, Clay. Congrats on another great execution.

I think I like the pinkfloyd74 option of deleting the handle and using a removable socket wrench . That way you’d have the option of laying the handle down to the left or to the right or remove it entirely to clear the workspace.

Something more like:

…but with a bigger socket.

As it is, the handle is removable.

-Clay

Gary
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 16

Clay, I really liked the video. I’m not an engineer or design guy, but your new design looks great. I just received my WE Pro Pack II yesterday but I’m excited to know these upgrades will be available soon. I will definitely be down for one of these as soon as they roll out. And thanks for listening to your customer base and being willing to keep making the WE even better.

Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

That does look great! self centering and looks as if it will also contour to a full flat ground blade for good gripping force and again, centering on the ffg blade. I like the handle idea also.

Question,
    What is the current limitation on blade thickness?

Thanks! This looks like a great addition to the lineup Clay!

wickededge
    Keymaster

Question,
    What is the current limitation on blade thickness?

The current limitation is 4 mm. We’re working on making it adjustable.

-Clay

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

I really like this idea! But we’ll need more hide-away spots for our WEPS tools 🙂

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I can’t think of a downside to this upgrade. OK, maybe the blade thickness limitation. Or maybe $$. I spend enough time just fiddling with the couple of FFGs I have to justify it, unless it’s stratospheric $$.

For you Fahrenheit – Inch guys out there, 4mm works out to about 0.1575″. That eliminates the 1/4″ Bowie knives and such.

Can anybody think of a downside I’m missing?

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant

TC,

I honestly can’t think of one, but I’m no expert so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Here’s what I can say with confidence: I spent 10-15 minutes today trying to stair-step painter’s tape, use foam, etc. in order to compensate for the full flat grind on my buddy’s 7″ Tamahagane veggie knife. The whole time all I could think about was the new clamp. I don’t know… I’d definitely be willing to fork up $100 for the new clamp. Although, I hope it’s less 😉

I’m thinking in terms of the time it would save me… Bud, again, I’m no expert and am extremely slow at sharpening on the WEPS. After watching Clay sharpen that Strider SnG, and how he mentions it took him 15 minutes to get it where he got it, I honestly want to give up. Haha.

JS
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 109

I can’t think of any downside and imagine I’d use this as part of my usual sharpening kit including knives with parallel flats. The issue I have even with knives with parallel flats is that sometimes when I tighten the bottom screw, the knife will slightly tilt to the left according to my angle cube. Unless the parallel flats aren’t truly parallel. I’ve tried to follow every bit of advice here for clamping but still sometimes run into this. I think the self centering would make clamping and setup in general quicker for me.

Victor
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 80

Current jaws are out of aluminum, curious as to material list on the new Floating Jaws……

Basing on the current pricing, even for a set of relatively low tech aluminum Low Angle Adapter – if that is an indicator….. 😉

And, I still have unresolved issues with two sets of warped diamond grinds. Don’t know if I want, diving into another unproven – simply not comfortable to be a guinea pig! :unsure:

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant

Clay,

Here’s a video I shot to try answering your question…

http://youtu.be/4XAID1FFEhk

SHVentus
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 64

Victor,

Call me – Hilo, 935-3400

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 75 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.