Advanced Search

Wicked Edge Buyer’s Guide – Fall and Holiday Season 2023 – WE60, WE66 & Gen4Pro

Recent Forums Main Forum Product Announcements Wicked Edge Buyer’s Guide – Fall and Holiday Season 2023 – WE60, WE66 & Gen4Pro

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I invite you to join my Expert’s Corner Group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/683248253138189/?ref=share

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Marc H

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Marc H

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Marc H

https://www.facebook.com/groups/683248253138189/?ref=share

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Toker
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 9

Currently using the WE120 after using the original model for a long time. I’m not completely happy with any of the methods that I’ve used to clamp full flat grind blades. I was interested in the WE66, but the price tag seems really high for upgrading to the new DualCam Vise.

My question is about the new Cobalt WE64. From what I can tell:

• WE64 is the same as the WE60 with the addition of the DualCam Vise.
    • WE66 adds the Micro Angle-Drive and the 800/1000 stone.

Am I missing something else that makes the WE66 worth $200 more than the WE64?

Marc H

IMO: The $200 micro-angle adjusters included with the WE66 are a convenience you’ll either enjoy or regret forever.

The WE66 micro-angle adjusters are unmatched in dial-in precision adjustability.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Toker
    Participant

IMO: The $200 micro-angle adjusters included with the WE66 are a convenience you’ll either enjoy or regret forever. The WE66 micro-angle adjusters are unmatched in dial-in precision adjustability.

I don’t think I’d ever use the micro adjustments. I have them on my WE120 and never use them. Simply because I don’t want to adjust it for every knife.

I think I adjusted the WE120 micro adjustments once to get it even for one of my kitchen knives. After that, I usually just went with whatever angle was closest to the angle that I desired on the left/right.

TLDR: Sounds like the WE64 is a direct upgrade to the WE120 if I’m primarily interest in the new clamp.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I can’t imagine not using the micro-adjust on every knife I sharpen.

The main purpose is to match the angle of the edge of the knife you just mounted.  If you know what that angle is, you’ll want to be spot-on to avoid starting a major profile job.  If you don’t know what the angle is, you’ll want to use the micro-adjusts to zero-in on the current bevel with the Sharpie method and a loupe or hand-held microscope.

If you are starting a new job, you’ll want to record the blade height, angle setting and horizontal position.  Recording the measured angle is very helpful.  But if the measured angle is, for example, 20.5 degrees, do you return to 20 as a set angle or to 21?  Being off by a half of a degree can cause you to create a lot of work for you.  With the precision that the Wicked Edge works to, being off by 0.15 dps  can make the difference of sharpening at the apex or sharpening at the shoulder.  This is even more impactful at the belly of a typical hunting or pocket knife.  Being ready and able to adjust to a tenth of a degree solves a lot of problems.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    000Robert
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 406

I can’t imagine not using the micro-adjust on every knife I sharpen. The main purpose is to match the angle of the edge of the knife you just mounted. If you know what that angle is, you’ll want to be spot-on to avoid starting a major profile job. If you don’t know what the angle is, you’ll want to use the micro-adjusts to zero-in on the current bevel with the Sharpie method and a loupe or hand-held microscope. If you are starting a new job, you’ll want to record the blade height, angle setting and horizontal position. Recording the measured angle is very helpful. But if the measured angle is, for example, 20.5 degrees, do you return to 20 as a set angle or to 21? Being off by a half of a degree can cause you to create a lot of work for you. With the precision that the Wicked Edge works to, being off by 0.15 dps can make the difference of sharpening at the apex or sharpening at the shoulder. This is even more impactful at the belly of a typical hunting or pocket knife. Being ready and able to adjust to a tenth of a degree solves a lot of problems.

I agree. Using the micro-adjust is much faster.

Toker
    Participant

I can’t imagine not using the micro-adjust on every knife I sharpen.

I agree. Using the micro-adjust is much faster.

I just watched a video on the WE66 since I misunderstood how it was working. I thought the top knobs were for locking the angle into a set slot like the WE120. Then the side knobs were to refine the angle. The WE120 was a pain since you couldn’t see what the final angle was when you used the angle adjustment knobs.

Now that I see how it’s working, that’s the version that will definitely make things easier.

000Robert
    Participant

I just watched a video on the WE66 since I misunderstood how it was working. I thought the top knobs were for locking the angle into a set slot like the WE120. Then the side knobs were to refine the angle. The WE120 was a pain since you couldn’t see what the final angle was when you used the angle adjustment knobs. Now that I see how it’s working, that’s the version that will definitely make things easier.

I’m glad to hear that you have things sorted out. I bought the aftermarket SS micro-adjust for my WE120. It is much better than the OEM. I love my WE120 and use it all the time still. I have it on a set down table. I have my Gen4 Pro on a standup bench. So, the one I use just depends on if I want to sit or stand. I love all of my Wicked Edge sharpening systems!! I don’t have my WE66 set up right now, but I could set it up pretty quick if I wanted to.

Toker
    Participant

I’ll probably end up selling my WE120. I just updated my original WE last year since the older arms had a much sloppier fit. The WE120 has been a nice upgrade, but I’ve noticed that I’ve had a lot more problems with FFG blades like the Spyderco Mule and my Zero Tolerance 0707. It’s a pain to clamp them and get them to stay. I’ve tried almost every suggestion out there and none of them have worked great.

I’m hoping the DualCam will do a much better job, but I’ve seen a few user reviews that have said it still is too loose. So I probably should do a little more research before spending almost $1K.

000Robert
    Participant

I’ll probably end up selling my WE120. I just updated my original WE last year since the older arms had a much sloppier fit. The WE120 has been a nice upgrade, but I’ve noticed that I’ve had a lot more problems with FFG blades like the Spyderco Mule and my Zero Tolerance 0707. It’s a pain to clamp them and get them to stay. I’ve tried almost every suggestion out there and none of them have worked great. I’m hoping the DualCam will do a much better job, but I’ve seen a few user reviews that have said it still is too loose. So I probably should do a little more research before spending almost $1K.

I’m sorry, I have a WE130, not a 120. My brains were scattered a while ago.  I do love my Gen4 Pro! If I could only keep one of my sharpening systems and had to sell the rest, I would keep the Gen4 Pro. I haven’t any problems with mine. But it’s the new Gen3 V2 jaws that help clamping FFG and distally tapered blades. The only real difference that I have noticed with the vises is that the DualCam vise is smoother and takes less hand strength to lock. Both of my vises hold blades very well.
    If the vise does feel loose, you need to take it apart and check the Bellville washer stack. Occasionally one will be missing. I had that problem with my WE66 Obsidian IIRC. I added a washer, and it started working perfectly.
    Don’t worry about spending the money. Wicked Edge will take care of you so don’t worry about that. If your sharpener ain’t right, WE will find out what is wrong and take care of you. Don’t be too quick to listen to people running their heads about WE. Wicked Edge has the best customer service and stands behind their products better than any company I’ve ever dealt with. Anyone that says that they don’t, is a liar.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.