Advanced Search

Where do the 1200/1600 Ceramics fit

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Tinyfish
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 7

After lots and lots of reading I am still stumped.

It was from good sources here that said the 1200/1600 ceramics should go after the 3000# diamond stone  and then they said it should go inbetween the 1000# and 2200# diamond stones on another thread.

I do have 1000#, 1500#, 2200# 3000# diamond stones plus 1200/1600 ceramic stones so trying to find a place for the ceramics stones.

airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 367

Hi Tony welcome to the forum!  This forum has been around a long time and all the questions ever asked/answered are still here for the searching.

This post was just a couple months ago

https://knife.wickededgeusa.com/forums/topic/diamonds-or-ceramic-next/

This was all the posts returned from the search

https://knife.wickededgeusa.com/?s=where+does+the+1200

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by airscapes.
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    Tinyfish
    Participant

Thanks for the welcome Airscapes.

That thread was what confused me because the sharpening grit progression from the knowledge base says one thing and then that thread said different for when to use the 1200/1600.

I did read all those searches.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Tinyfish.
    airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 367

I don’t have the ceramics.. seem like it is either or kind of thing and personal preference.  I think you will probably just have to experiment and figure out what you like.  There is no right or wrong..

I have personally found my wife prefers me to stop at 1000 Git for all of her kitchen knives, but we don’t really own any high end stuff that can hold a really fine edge at a low angle.

Make sure you keep a note book or spread sheet of  what you do and when so you can track how they hold up.  If you do not already have a USB microscope, I would suggest you get one, it is really helpful to know what the surface of the bevel looks like as you work the blade.

For instance here are a couple photos .. this was a cheap kitchen knife belonging to my cousin

First pic was after trying to remove missing chunks with the 80Grit stone.  In the end there were 2 spots where the steel was bad and porous which drove me nuts..

Attachments:
    2 users thanked author for this post.
    Tinyfish
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I did buy a 10x-30x handhelp magnifyig glass with light to help me see whats going on with the edge.</p>
    That is quite the transformation from before and after on your cousin’s knife. You have done an excellent job on that edge, I hope to get there one day.

I did just purchase some expensive to me name brand Japanese knives with that harder VGmax and SG2 steel. I won’t be taking those out of the box untill the stones are broken in and I get the hang of sharpening.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.