Advanced Search

ultra fine grit

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Michael Blakley
    Participant
    • Topics: 29
    • Replies: 28

I recently saw Wicked Edge 2200/3000 Diamond Stones.

They are priced at $120 per pair.

What would stones of this fine grit do for a knife if my finest grit is currently 1500. (I have diamond lapping and leather strops already in my kit.)

Thanks!

Michael

MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

Michael,  how long ago did you purchase the 1500 grit stone?  Is it a couple years ago or is it just recently, this year.  What color is the plastic paddle and the center finger grips the 1500 diamond grit stone is mounted on?

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

If you already have the diamond lapping films then the 2200 / 3000 is a redundant grit. The advantage of these stones is that they are longer lasting than lapping films. Whether or not that is a significant draw is a matter of opinion.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Frans
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 83

Michael, how long ago did you purchase the 1500 grit stone? Is it a couple years ago or is it just recently, this year. What color is the plastic paddle and the center finger grips the 1500 diamond grit stone is mounted on?

I was also thinking about buying the 2200/3000 so I have the same question.
    My 1500 stones are bought +/- 2 years ago. The 1500 stone is mounted on a green paddle and the center grips are black.

Frans

Michael Blakley
    Participant
    • Topics: 29
    • Replies: 28

My 1500 on one side and blank on the other are Green and White.  I’ve hand them for about 2 years.

I wasn’t sure if I’d be gaining anything by moving away from the lapping strips to a 3000 grit.  From these replies, it sounds like it’s a toss-up.

Michael

MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

This is my opinion based on my personal observations and my user experiences:

The older 1500 grit stones owned by Michael Blakely and Frans are the originally released 1500/glass blank combo, stone set.  I have two of these older stones and two of the more recently released, (this past year) newer 1500 grit stones.  The older stones in my user experience are finer behaving and give a more polished result then the newer same named stones.  The older, first produced and sold, 1500 grit stones also appear finer then the new 2200/3000 grit in my user experience and my observed results after using them all and comparing the bevels visually with a USB Microscope.

As well as the newest 1500/2200/3000 grits do work and fit together in that new progression.  I don’t believe the 2200/3000 grit stones will lend anything enhancing to the progression after the two year old 1500 grit diamond stones.  For the older 1500 grit stones the next step in that progression, IMO, is diamond lapping films if your looking for finer grit stones, or, possible the ceramic stones, (I have little experience with the ceramics) and then finish with the strops.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Pat
    Participant
    • Topics: 16
    • Replies: 114

I recently saw Wicked Edge 2200/3000 Diamond Stones. They are priced at $120 per pair. What would stones of this fine grit do for a knife if my finest grit is currently 1500. (I have diamond lapping and leather strops already in my kit.) Thanks! Michael

For what its worth, I didn’t go with those.  I have the 1500/2200 and then move to DLFs.  No regrets.  If you insist on getting the 2200/3000, then get the 1500 / blank and not the 1500/2200 to avoid duplication.  You can then put 6 or 3 micron DLF on the 1500 and you are in business (not sure what micron the 3000 is, but the 6 micron DLF will have a more refined effect than the 3000 due to the glass vs metal substrate).

1 user thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I too have the 1,500, 2,200 and 3,000 grit stones, as well as lapping film and strops.  In fact, I have a lot of DLF inventory that I’m very little use out of.  The 2200/3000 grit stones don’t seem to produce the polish I got with my well-worn 1500’s, but microphotos suggest that the scratch patterns are correct. so I’ve been using them.  The one really big issue that favors the stones over the 6 micron film is the resistance to contamination.  Last week I replaced my 6 and 3 micron films, only to produce scratches with the 3 mu DLF which were clearly from contamination on the first stroke attempted.  I hadn’t been particularly careful in cutting and transferring the film and produced the expected result.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.