Advanced Search

True/False or somewhere in between

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Task Specific Knife Sharpening Cooking True/False or somewhere in between

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Michael Blakley
    Participant
    • Topics: 29
    • Replies: 28

T/F   The easier it is to put a razor sharp edge on a knife, the easier it will lose it’s edge during use.

T/F Often you can put the sharpest edge on softer steel.

T/F The harder the steel, the longer the edge will last.

T/F The harder the steel, the more likely the edge will chip

Feed free to comment on any or all.

Merry Christmas

Michael

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Michael, these answers are my opinions based on my experiences and may not be necessarily the absolute truth.

Some steels sharpen very easily to a very sharp edge even though they are very hard and durable steels.  High carbon steel like Japanese Aogami Super is an example.

Softer steels within reason seem to sharpen well and easiely unless it’s too soft.  Then it may roll under sharpening pressure.  I think moderately hard to hard steels can be sharpened to the sharpest edges.

Hardness and durability are not necessarily the same same thing.  There is a balance that must be struck between these two qualities in steels.

Harder steels may tend to be more brittle.  Brittle steels may chip as a result of edge damage, but not necessarily.  There are hard steels that are durable and not chip prone.

In summary there are many different steels that have shared qualities.  I don’t think that all steels can be described in definite terms, one way or another.  Hard or soft, brittle or durable.  Many steels today have been metallurgically blended to have the best attributes for hardness, durability, longevity and edge sharpness.  I don’t think there is any one steel that is the best for every chore.  Although, there are some steels that excel in many of these areas and are good for all-around use.

https://www.bladehq.com/cat–Steel-Types–332

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

6 users thanked author for this post.
    NotSharpEnuff
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 120

Michael,

MarcH is on point 🙂 with his answer.  There are many factors to consider when evaluating knife steel.  The link below is a great primer when it comes to blade steel.  I think this article has the best graphic representation of knife steel properties.

Just beware, the assertions in all articles like this are suspect until proven.  It’s one opinion and as you know everyone has one.  As a general take away, premium steel will perform better than high end steel.

Whether M390 is better than S110V is really a toss up.  I own both of those steels, and my opinion is that M390 takes a keener edge and the edge lasts as long as the S110V.

https://www.bladehq.com/cat–Best-Knife-Steel-Guide–3368

Ed K.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Brewbear
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 168

Even though I’m a “babe in the woods” when it comes to the higher end steels, I can say that of the few folders I own, the ones with M390 blades do seem to get sharper and retain the edge longer compared to the CPM 154 and S35 VN. It is purely an empirical observation on the blades I own but in no way would that mean I am right. To be sure, the ones sitting in the glove box and on the work bench in the garage or green house are not the aforementioned knives, more like the D2 and Sandvik bladed ones since the replacement cost is not nearly as steep and I get to practice my sharpening skills more often. On the subject of higher priced folding knives, I must thank @Expidia for recommending the Land 910 folders.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.