Advanced Search

The most solid way I have found to clamp full flat ground blades.

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Basic Techniques and Sharpening Strategies The most solid way I have found to clamp full flat ground blades.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Sharkey
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 40

I just follow the formula that is in the picture the top triangle being the knife, and the lower triangle being the wicked edge clamp.

Stephen Sharkey
    Participant

In the pictures featured, is a Spyderco Domino. If you take your digital angle cube and attach it to the side of the blade on the left it will be 0 degrees, totally parallel with the clamp arm on the left. If you put your angle finder on the right side of the blade it is 4.3 degrees. So you would set your left side at 15 degrees and then you would set your right side at 15 degrees plus the degrees that the blade is leaning to the left. I am just saying 15 degrees because that is the angle I found that the Spyderco Domino comes with.

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Are those cats in charge of the proceedings ?

Stephen Sharkey
    Participant

Hahaha, they usually hang around my wife but she wasn’t home yet. I had just gotten up because I’m on night shift, and they seem to really be interested when a person first gets up. I knew they were kind of shitty pictures but I just happened to have a FFG in the clamp at the time.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I’m pretty sure that your angles aren’t right. Your left side of the blade may be at zero degrees, but the blade’s vertical centerline (from which edge angles are measured) is leaning 2.15 degrees to the left. The correct angle on the left arm should be 15 minus 2.15 while the angle on the right arm should be 15 plus 2.15.

Stephen Sharkey
    Participant

You are correct. I didn’t think of that. Thanks

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

No problemo. I just went thru the same exercise a while ago. It is nice to know I’m not the only one up this late at night.

Stephen Sharkey
    Participant

Yep. I think I’ve only done 4 or 5 ffg blades so it shouldn’t take much to get them where they are supposed to be.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.