The learning curve

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    phillyjudge
    Participant
    • Topics: 21
    • Replies: 63

New folks, let me reassure you…..

There are some real scientist/professional math people here along with those types who are just mechanically adept. I…am ….neither. I am a guy who aspires to be proficient, for the spaz that I have embraced myself to be.

When the WE first came out, I thought, “Even I can do that”…and I did. I viewed Clay’s (then fewer) videos. I viewed everything Josh posted. And while I improved, I still sent knives I valued to Josh at Razor Edge.

I got better. I read the posts here. I got better still. At one point, all the knives in the house were sharp, some prettier than others, but all sharper than ever before.

Then, as the result of metal/diamond dust clogging up the screw portion of the ball joint, my  WE sharpening came to a screeching halt and I resorted to my Sharpmaker ( which is my go to for touch ups) and my DMT hones–all the while thinking about the WE system.

Then, the Gen 3 came out, and I lusted for it, but quite frankly, couldn’t afford it.

So, then I get my Gen 3 (last week)…and have 2 knives under my belt, after reading the Aligner Guide thread (which is AMAZING), in the Product Announcement forum, and Eliminating linkage play thread and viewing Cliff’s Cardboard prop video. I took to heart the wisdom of, going lightly, checking your work, checking the angle, not over sharpening one side just to get the burr….and FINALLY, sharpened 2 knives ( a Santoku and a SAK) to queasy sharp. The best part, I can spot the errors I made, so that I can try to avoid them next time.

It takes time, thought, and care, but it is attainable.

If not, send it to Josh or TC !!!

5 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.