Advanced Search

The 50/80 stones and the subject of raising a burr

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Basic Techniques and Sharpening Strategies The 50/80 stones and the subject of raising a burr

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Sounds good… let us know how it works out.
    I did go and grab my Manix 2 and put it in my pockest after reading your post
    😉

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

Sounds good… let us know how it works out.

I will. To date this knife hasn’t done more than open mail (and pretzel boxes 🙂 ) It seemed sharp right out of the box (though at a VERY coarse grit) But that edge seemed to lose it’s bite very quickly. Not really sure why. I’m hoping just getting rid of the steel exposed to factory grinding will help. And now it’s much more refined, through the ceramics.

I did go and grab my Manix 2 and put it in my pockest after reading your post
    😉

Happy to help 🙂 Like I said, my M2 is my most comfortable knife to use. I’ve got 4 of them the CF S90V, the green XHP, the blue S30V and the grey M4. Of the four the only one I’ve actually used very much at all is the M4. I just love that steel. Takes an amazing edge. Almost as good as my SB Calys but it keeps that edge far longer than they do (and they aren’t slouches 🙂 ) I may put a good edge on the S90V and take it out this summer. It’s the smoothest of the four, by far.

Which Manix 2 do you have, Phil?

Ken

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

The FFG CTS-BD30P black G10.
    Also the XL same config in S30V
    I like that one and carry it a bunch when I am not at work… that or one of the Militaries.
    I got a Blue PM2 in M390 which is growing to be a favorite too. The GB in M4 is up there too
    🙂

I just got back into Spyderco knives maybe 2 years ago, after having gotten away from them for 10 years or so.
    I only have about 20 of them..but the collection is growing. I have several of the mules too. I like playing with the different steels in an identical congiguration/geometry..

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

Also the XL same config in S30V

Nice. Did you see Knifeworks is doing an S90V XL?

I got a Blue PM2 in M390 which is growing to be a favorite too.

I wanted to try the M390 but I have 4 PMs and I never carry any of them. How did you finish the M390? (grit & angle)

The GB in M4 is up there too

Yep, I have all Spyderco’s M4s GB & Air, M2 and Mule. A steel I really enjoy working with.

I just got back into Spyderco knives maybe 2 years ago, after having gotten away from them for 10 years or so. I only have about 20 of them..but the collection is growing.

Sounds like a nice collection you have going.

The next one on my radar is the S110V Native 5. That was a big reason I got the S35VN model. To work out any thoughts I had about it before it ships.

Ken

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

Ken,
    The M390 PM2… damn I wrote it in my log.., kind of.
    I wrote , top depth, length “B” 17 degrees.I can tell you that I wanted to see what the M390 would do as far as sharpness and appearance.. It takes a nice mirror edge.. is real pretty. I used the Diamonds through 1000.. “Back” to the 600 choseras.. up throught all of them (WEPS chosera paddles) . then used the 12K SuperStone.. strops from 6/3 micron up to Kangaroo with 0.1 and 0.50..

I have not resharpened it, date in the book is October 2, 2012..

Still sharp… though will not tree top hair anymore.. Still very reflective…
    All likely not required.. another OCD occurence for me..

I need to wait a bit on knife purchases. The new FNAR…and trying to get it setup is draining my hobby funds for the foreseeable future… as much as that hurts my feelings…

Want to pick up one of these Native 5s in S110 and hold it for me?

:silly:

Phil

BTW, I think I put some pics up somewhere here of the MT 07 Mule… I did handles with Black Ebony, gray liners and stainless polished pins..one of my favorites..if for nothing else how pretty it looks.. BUT, I can’t find them..
    🙁

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

The M390 PM2… then used the 12K SuperStone.. strops from 6/3 micron up to Kangaroo with 0.1 and 0.50..

Sweet! I bet that IS a beauty! And holding up nicely.

I need to wait a bit on knife purchases. The new FNAR…and trying to get it setup is draining my hobby funds for the foreseeable future… as much as that hurts my feelings…

Nice. What “set up”? Mags and such? Or are you really tricking it out?

Want to pick up one of these Native 5s in S110 and hold it for me?

I don’t think we’ll see them until August so you have time to set aside some cash. Even then, I can’t get a straight answer whether this is a Sprint or limited production. If the latter, you’ll see a few trickle out every month for a year or so.

BTW, I think I put some pics up somewhere here of the MT 07 Mule… I did handles with Black Ebony, gray liners and stainless polished pins..one of my favorites..if for nothing else how pretty it looks.. BUT, I can’t find them..
    🙁

That does sound beautiful. I’ve never done anything other than Halpern scales on mine. I toyed with DI scales for my M4 but couldn’t cut the darned stuff. I’m sure it was just not having the right tools but when the Dremel failed, so did I. 🙂

Ken

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I raise a burr with my 50/80 stones then proceed through all the diamond stones 50 to 100 passes per stone the last few passes on each grit with light pressure…

My experience, and others, is raising a burr with the 50/80 stones results in a chipped edge, and grind marks that are difficult to remove. If you’re not seeing this, I’d be interested in pinning down why, (although not sure exactly how to do that. ) :side:

I use alcohol spray on all my strops and I have to say maybe a little to much my leather seems to be stiffening up which might not be so bad as far as rounding the edge with the soft leather is a concern for me.

I’ve seen the same stiffening… maybe that’s one reason results are better.

The few small scratches i see when I am done I think are contaminates from lapping my ceramics and my leather strops not my 50/80 stones.

I’m not sure it’s contaminates… it’s still possible it’s “leftover” grind marks.

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

Please let us know how that edge holds.

So far, so good. I’ve been using it exclusively for two weeks now and I can’t tell any difference from the very first cut. Now I’m not cutting bricks or iron pipe, just my usual EDC of bags, boxes, wrappers and plastic but so far I’m impressed. The factory edge was shot long before this.

Ken

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

So I’ve used these 50/80s a couple times now. I will say BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THEM! Especially in the beginning. The surface on mine started off very uneven and the high points have significant reach over the men surface of the stone. On my second knife, a ZDP189 Dragonfly, one particular diamond reached (and seriously chipped) the edge in several places way before the stone as a whole was anywhere close to it. I dropped down to the 100s and got the chips worked out but it took a while to get there. I wasn’t planning to get at all close to the edge but I should have been more careful… I knew some points were higher as I could see lines extending down further into the blade of the first knife but I didn’t stop to think that meant they were also going further up, toward the edge. 😉

They are fun stones though. At one point I was looking though a 40x loupe and saw some diamonds that had come off onto the blade. Not “something” it was obviously diamonds. Wish I could have taken a picture through the loupe. They were so cool. By my estimate the shape is a dodecahedron. It looked like this:

Kind of a yellowish white. Awesome! I’ve seen “dust” on the WEPS before of course. Always assumed there were some diamonds and some steel in it. But to see the diamond this clearly was amazing.

Hopefully a couple more knives will clear out the rest of those high points and settle these down some. Until then, I’m keeping a much closer eye on them. I don’t want to go through THAT again!

Ken

Ken

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Great drawing Ken, that is exactly what they look like!

-Clay

R. Jeffrey Coates
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 55

GREAT

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.