Advanced Search

Suggested/Factory Angle not Jiving w/Sharpie?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Basic Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Suggested/Factory Angle not Jiving w/Sharpie?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Jonny
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 40

So after a lot of dumb questions and alot of “OCDing” I dove in and started practicing. The edges are coming out pretty good for a Noob w/new stones but one thing is not jiving…

I’ve been using the Sharpie Method to set the angle but the angles I see people recommending or the factory angles are not even close to the ones i’m getting w/the Sharpie?

For example, I did a test on my Hinderer XM-18 which is at 22 degrees factory but my angle cube says like 26 degrees to get the Sharpie removed from the edge? Or this kitchen knife (see pic) is at 27 degrees to get to the edge but i’m seeing most kitchen knives at waaaay lower angles like 15.

Do you see something drastically wrong with my set-up or am I doing something wrong w/the cube.. something doesn’t make sense.

Thanks for any direction.

Jonny
    Participant

Sorry, pics were too big.

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Are you zeroing the cube to surface the WEPS is mounted on?

Jonny
    Participant

Yes.

Place on base, zero, place on top of stone (see pic), lay against edge, test swipe till “edge of edge” is removed.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Replies: 2095

I’ve seen knives too with factory bevels which didn’t seem right. My attitude is that the original bevel angle is irrelevant. Profile the blade to whatever angle you think is right and forget about what it used to be.

If the manufacturer says that their knives should be at 22 degrees, I’d go with whatever your standard angle is (mine is 20 degrees)so you don’t have to keep a record of the knife with the oddball angle. Of course, if a customer says they want the 22 degrees, give ’em what they want. The next time you’re asked to sharpen it, hope that one of you remembers the unusual angle.

Jonny
    Participant

Thought maybe the problem was in arm set-up. I had “flipped” the arms (as per a suggestion on the forum) to the other side so that the thumbscrews contact the flat side of the bar.

However, I just installed them the normal way, adjusted via the angle cube, then did a test swipe. At 20 degrees on that kitchen knife the marker is no where removed from the edge.

I also did another test on the Hinderer (see pic) and at 22 degrees I am literally scratching the very bottom of the edge? I understand not focusing too much on the factory angle but still seems weird that all the knives I’ve done are at a pretty high angle to reach the edge. Plus the w/Hinderer I know the exact factory angle and I am way off.

Still feel like i’m doing something dumb, something must be wrong.

Attachments:
    Mikedoh

Knife positioning and sharpie. http://www.wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=91:finding-the-sweet-spot-positioning-your-knife-from-front-to-back&catid=38&Itemid=258

Here’s a thread involving the angle cube and how its positioning on the stone etc will affect its reading. You will also notice that
    If the ball joint is twisted to one side or the other, readings will be affected.

http://www.wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=topic&catid=6&id=1244&limitstart=20&Itemid=271#10557

tcmeyer
    Participant

Just to be clear… When you set your arms at 22 degrees, is the angle cube confirming that angle?

Jonny
    Participant

Thank you so much for the links. I’ve read them and I think my knife position is correct and the other post seems to be dealing with minor angle changes/discrepancies. Mine seem many degrees off.

My Angle Finder indeed matches my arms. When the arm is 22 degrees on the bar, the cube reads 22 degrees. That’s where i’m confused… if I set it at 22 degrees, factory angle on the Hinderer, it would be removing the marker/sharpie literally from the bottom of the edge?

Should I just “trailblaze” and not worry about it, literally re-profiling the edge to the MY angle? I feel like if i’m set at 22 degrees, the factory angle is supposed to be 22 degrees, I should be removing the marker perfectly at the top of the edge, ready to create a burr… no?

Again, if I just used the Sharpie Method on the Hinderer, I am at like 26 degree to remove the marker from the edge and start my burr?

Mikedoh

The sharpie method and the angle cube are more accurate than the bar settings. The bar settings were based upon a knife of chosen
    Blade length and width. Somewhere, it is written, what the measurements are.

The angle reading, on the bar on the side of the vise that is fixed/doesn’t move, will likely be in more agreement with the angle cube than the moveable side.

May want to fiddle around with a cheap knife(s), rather than your Hinderer. There is some learning curve to the WEPS, and questions will continue to pop up as you use it. Some will be answered best by you seeing first hand as you get used to using the WEPS.

tcmeyer
    Participant

Don’t think of it at “trailblazing.” Think of it as correcting an improperly beveled knife. The Sharpie is simply to tell you when you’ve reached the apex.

Mikedoh

I like to think of it more as showing where contact between stone and blade are occurring. Just me, just my visualization.
    2¢

tcmeyer
    Participant

In this case, your two cents worth is spot on, and a more accurate definition than mine. I was specifically referring to JDS’s search for the right angle, which is slowly leading him to the apex.

Jonny
    Participant

So are you saying if I take a knife that has a factory 22 degree angle, set my stones/arms at 22 degrees to match with an angle finder, I should NOT expect to be removing the sharpie at the edge of the edge… or “apex”?

Or, like “TC” says, even though the Hinderer is said to have a factory 22 degree angle, could that not actually be the angle it’s at brand new and I would be actually correcting it… even on a high end knife?

Mikedoh

So are you saying if I take a knife that has a factory 22 degree angle, set my stones/arms at 22 degrees to match with an angle finder, I should NOT expect to be removing the sharpie at the edge of the edge… or “apex”?

the sharpie and angle finder will show what the “factory angle ” is. Without a goniometer, there is no other easy way to determine what angle the blade left the factory with that I am aware of.

Or, like “TC” says, even though the Hinderer is said to have a factory 22 degree angle, could that not actually be the angle it’s at brand new and I would be actually correcting it… even on a high end knife?

High end knives are still sharpened, free hand on a belt, and like TC says you would be correcting it. Browse around the forum and practice on inexpensive knives.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.