Advanced Search

Stones hitting clamps sides

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Robert Parsons
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Howdy folks……Just want to say that I LOVE my WEPS and have sharpened most of the knives in my home on it and it has done a wonderful job. The question I have is ….WHY does my stones contact the bevels of the clamp on the sharpener when I am working on smaller bladed knives. The one in particular that I am wondering about is my CUTCO 1884 Pocket knife. When I have the knife in the upper set of holes and the angle set to 20 degrees the clamp on the RH side of the unit is hitting the stone and leaving marks (actually the stone if sanding the clamp). I really dont want to put a larger angle on it (wouldnt’ that make it a convex angle?), but I would If I have to. I have photos of the damage. I also noticed it when doing a Filet knife at 17 degrees. Am I doing something wrong???

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Pretty common problem with small blades. I use the Tormek small knife adapter, which works very well on the WEPS.

Check out the thread at https://knife.wickededgeusa.com/forum/3-suggestion-box/13245-small-knife-attachment?start=10#23245

The one shortfall is that the blade itself is not clamped, so the blade can move a little if there is some looseness in the pivot pin. I deal with it by supporting the blade with my off hand.

Robert Parsons
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

OK….Figured out a solution for now…..I used a 5/64 drill bit between the key and the knife blade and it raised it just enough to clear it . I was thinking that a little groove on the end of the jaw would allow the clamping of small blades (kind of what they have on the LANSKY shaprpeners). but that is just an opinion….guess I’ll have to modify mine.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.