Advanced Search

Single Bevel Japanese Shapening

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Single Bevel Japanese Shapening

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Brent
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Good afternoon, All-

I am a brand new WE user and have a question about single bevel sharpening.  How do I correctly use the sharpener for my Japanese knife with a single bevel?  When I make a burr on one side with a 15 degree angle, what is the process to remove the burr on the other side when my angle can only go down to 15 degrees?  I hope I’m explaining this correctly, as I am new to this.  Thanks for all your help!

Sincerely,

Brent

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

When I sharpen my single bevel Japanese knives I use the W.E. stone hand-held, not on the guide rod, to debur the flat side of the clamped knife. This gives you the stone control needed for that situation.

Here’s a video made by Clay describing this method:

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Brent
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Hi Mark-

I REALLY appreciate your help and the video!  That makes total sense. Thank you very much!

Brent

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to the forum!

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

000Robert
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 406

Hi Mark- I REALLY appreciate your help and the video! That makes total sense. Thank you very much! Brent

Welcome to the forum, Brent. Up at the top right of the page you will see the “Knowledge Base”. Click on it and there is a lot of info and great help there. Happy sharpening!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.