Advanced Search

Since I cannot find a low angle adapter

Recent Forums Main Forum Pass Around and Buy / Sell / Trade Want to Buy Since I cannot find a low angle adapter

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Kenneth
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 33

Should I buy the Tormek adapter? Why is it so hard to find things for WE?

000Robert
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 406

Should I buy the Tormek adapter? Why is it so hard to find things for WE?

Here it is: LAA

Or just click on, “accessories”, above.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Kenneth:

Which vise do you have?  Is it the Gen 3 type with the crank arm?  I have an extra, older LAA that only works with the older vise models.

Joe
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 27

If I buy the Low Angle Adapter, the kit comes with 12″ rods, I have 10″ rods and the WE130, should I just buy the 15″ rods so I am covered? I don’t need the kit, I bought an angle gauge separately.

000Robert
    Participant

If I buy the Low Angle Adapter, the kit comes with 12″ rods, I have 10″ rods and the WE130, should I just buy the 15″ rods so I am covered? I don’t need the kit, I bought an angle gauge separately.

I have the 10″ guide rods and the 12″. Next month I will buy the 15″ guide rods, but so far I haven’t needed them. But I will get them to have just in case I need them later. This month I bought the scissor attachment and the 2200/3000 grit stones. Next month I hope to get the chisel attachment, 50/80 stones, and 15″ guide rods. I’m getting there slowly but surely!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by 000Robert.
    Joe
    Participant

I have the 10″ guide rods and the 12″. Next month I will buy the 15″ guide rods, but so far I haven’t needed them. But I will get them to have just in case I need them later. This month I bought the scissor attachment and the 2200/3000 grit stones. Next month I hope to get the chisel attachment, 50/80 stones, and 15″ guide rods. I’m getting there slowly but surely!

10, 12 and 15 gives you a pretty complete spread, not a bad idea, I just have the 100/200 and 400/600, was gonna get the 1st upgrade kit soon which comes with 800/100 and 1,500/2200 I don’t know if I’d ever need that since from what I can tell from reading mirror polishes and things are more for show than useful cutting, I could be wrong though. It kinda seems like this system is an addiction and people get bored and just wanna go all the way because they can haha. Nothing wrong with that though.

Joe
    Participant

If I buy the Low Angle Adapter, the kit comes with 12″ rods, should I just buy the 15″ rods so I am covered? I don’t need the kit, I bought an angle gauge separately.

I’m unclear of the “kit” which you’re speaking of. The accessories, LAA $75 and longer guide rods $30, appear to be sold separately? I have a customized and modified WE130. I have not found the need to use my 15″ guide rods. Longer guide rods can get gangly to work with. The rod ends bang together. Also, to use the longer guide rods well, it’s helpful to employ stone stops to center your range of motion for the sharpening stones to the knife edges.

this is the kit I mentioned.
    Low Angle Kit

I plan to get the rod stops, boots, and the micro adjustment kit, at some point here soon. 😀

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Joe.
    000Robert
    Participant

Polished edges are great for push cutting. Personally, I only put polished edges on knives that I intend to collect and not use. Normally on user knives, I will put toothy 800 or 1000 grit edges on them.

Joe
    Participant

Polished edges are great for push cutting. Personally, I only put polished edges on knives that I intend to collect and not use. Normally on user knives, I will put toothy 800 or 1000 grit edges on them.

That’s what I am thinking, I just ordered the 800/1000 stones to go with my 100/200 and 400/600, that will honestly probably be all I ever need, I like to hand strop but I may try the WE strops.

000Robert
    Participant

That’s what I am thinking, I just ordered the 800/1000 stones to go with my 100/200 and 400/600, that will honestly probably be all I ever need, I like to hand strop but I may try the WE strops.

Good deal! Well when you want to start polishing edges, WE has everything that you need. Did you get the 15″ guide rods also?

Joe
    Participant

Good deal! Well when you want to start polishing edges, WE has everything that you need. Did you get the 15″ guide rods also?

I got the low angle adapter, and the 12″ rods they suggest.

000Robert
    Participant

The 12″ guide rods should handle most knives. They are also great with my scissors attachment. I’m still going to get some 15″ because I know that some day I’ll be glad to have them waiting inside my wonderful Hard Carrying/Rolling WE case.

Joe
    Participant

The 12″ guide rods should handle most knives. They are also great with my scissors attachment. I’m still going to get some 15″ because I know that some day I’ll be glad to have them waiting inside my wonderful Hard Carrying/Rolling WE case.

I do plan to get the 15″ at some point, and the scissor attachment looks pretty sweet, I watched a video on it. Can you show some pictures of the hard case? They don’t show much on the website, do you have to break your entire system down to put it in there?

000Robert
    Participant

I do plan to get the 15″ at some point, and the scissor attachment looks pretty sweet, I watched a video on it. Can you show some pictures of the hard case? They don’t show much on the website, do you have to break your entire system down to put it in there?

For some reason I never thought about taking photos of the case. I’ll take a few and add them in a little while.

Nope, all I have to do is remove the clamping lever, turn the vise so that the bottom base is up, and then set it down into the cut-out place in the formed foam for it. The photo that WE shows is a pretty good photo. The hole cut out in the center is where the vise sets down into. This case is built like a tank. I’m glad that I bought the Pro Pack III that had the nice case included. I know that when I travel my WE vise and equipment is safe and sound.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by 000Robert. Reason: Add photos
    Attachments:
    000Robert
    Participant

More photos.

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.