Advanced Search

Scratch Pattern Read, Please…

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Scratch Pattern Read, Please…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    NorCalQ
    Participant
    • Topics: 54
    • Replies: 149

So new to this that I can’t really tell what I’m seeing in my scratch pattern, after some 800 grit passes.  Can you please tell me what I’m seeing?  This is the worst part of the bevel.  I definitely see some breaks in the edge and I’m not sure of the best way to get rid of them.

Attachments:
    NorCalQ
    Participant

OK…I went back 2 grits and now I’m at 1k.  Please feel free to critique…

Attachments:
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I think it is looking good. The scratches seem to be of equal depth and width. I’m not sure, but it looks like the section in the middle of the photo might not have gotten the 1000 grit scratches all the way to the apex. You can always check by putting on a layer of sharpie and doing a few passes. If you see any remaining sharpie on the bevels after 2-3 passes then you know there’s more work to be done and you know where it needs attention.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    NorCalQ
    Participant

Good advice!  I’ll do that, to make sure.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    NorCalQ
    Participant

Ok…here’s another pic of the latest.  This is after 1500 diamonds, 2 and 2.5K sandpaper and a very light stropping.  I have to say that because I am not very good at stropping and have already ruined a few edges, I was hesitant to strop what I thought was a good edge.  I wanted to take the knife out of the Gen 3 and test it the way it was.  I may go back now and try to improve what I have with strops.

Attachments:
    NorCalQ
    Participant

So, here’s an update.  With additional stropping, I am able to whittle my thick, black hair at different points along the edge.  I wasn’t able to do that until I stropped.  From afar, the bevel does have a nice polish, however in the right light and up close, you can see lots of scratching.  That said, it whittles hair, so it is sharp and that’s a first for me.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant

That is good progress. Things will only get better as you get more consistent with your technique and your stones continue to even out. What was your strop progression after the 2,500 grit sandpaper?

NorCalQ
    Participant

Like I said, I’m really hesitant, so I only used the 3.5 paste.

Pinkfloyd
    Participant
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 208

Ok…here’s another pic of the latest. This is after 1500 diamonds, 2 and 2.5K sandpaper and a very light stropping. I have to say that because I am not very good at stropping and have already ruined a few edges, I was hesitant to strop what I thought was a good edge. I wanted to take the knife out of the Gen 3 and test it the way it was. I may go back now and try to improve what I have with strops.

Good eye Organic, when i first looked at the 1K grit pic i thought scratch pattern looked good, i had to go back and look again after seeing your post.

Organic
    Participant

Like I said, I’m really hesitant, so I only used the 3.5 paste.

You’ll get a more polished look if you do a more substantial progression. The sharpness will improve as well.

NorCalQ
    Participant

Please tell me what progression you would suggest.

Organic
    Participant

I use 14 / 10, 4 / 2, and 1 / 0.5 for my strop progression.

Lenny
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 22

I really like the 14/10 strops on balsa. I like the finish they give after the super fine ceramics. I’ve been experimenting using them between my 1500 grit stone and 6 micron films when I’m going the lapping film route.

NorCalQ
    Participant

I hated the leather strops the first few times I used/abused them.  They are so lumpy and chunky now.  I should get new ones.  Now that I have a bit more experience, I’m beginning to see their advantages.  I’m using the 5/3.5 pastes that came with my kit.  They really do refine the edge.  I’m using them very gently and not changing the angle.

When I have the $, I’m going to get into Bolsa strops for sure.  I’m thinking that since they are more rigid, there will be less change of rounding over the edge.  I’m also going to take your advice and start with the 14/10 pastes.  It makes a lot of sense.

I’m still not quite sure about how to get from 1500 diamonds, to the strops.  I’ve been using 2k and 2.5k paper after the 1500, then going to strops.  I also have th 9 and 3 films.  Between all of those, Im not sure what order to put them in.  I want to put everything I have to good use, however I don’t want to make more work for myself.  I just don’t know.  If my ceramics worked more like others I’ve seen on Youtube, I would have put them aside, however mine do put a good polish on the edges, so I’m not sure.  Anyways, color me confused.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.