Advanced Search

Scandi Grind?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    LoneWoodsman
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Hi all, I am planning on purchasing the WE130 model. I am just wondering how well it will do on a scandi ground bevel. The two scandis I have are a Adventure Sworn Classic and the gen 2 Native Survival knife. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Scandi grinds take a long time to sharpen, even if it’s just a touch-up.  There’s just so much steel to be removed.  Any chip in the edge will force you to regrind on a belt sander, a job requiring pretty sophisticated fixtures.  Most guys will resort to a micro-bevel.

Depending on the actual angle, you might need the Low-Angle-Adapter.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome LoneWoodsman,  the WE130 is a great model; my favorite.  It can sharpen a wide variety of knife styles and sizes well.

The Skandi grind knife can be a difficult knife to sharpen, even for experienced W.E. users.  Like tcmeyer stated it may require extra care, techniques and knowledge, at times, and may/probably will require the use of a W.E. Low Angle Adapter.  If those are the only knives you’ll be sharpening you may want to purchase a different knife sharpener that will handle those particular grinds better.

You should know how use the W.E. well to sharpen your Skandis.  I suggest you learn and practice with a large varieties of knives first, before entertaining your Skandi grinds.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

LoneWoodsman
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I should just stick to my whetstones rather than spend $1000 on the WE system.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

We certainly didn’t intend to throw you off the WE path, but if you’ve been managing well with whetstones on the scandi edges, by all means, stay with it.  The fact of the matter is that the Wicked Edge Systems will match the bevel angles as well or better than any sharpener on the market.  WE diamond stones generally remove steel as quickly as any manual sharpening system with synthetic or natural stones.  I’ve made the point though, that removing a common chip or nick from a scandi blade could be a daunting task with anything other than a guided, powered system.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.