Advanced Search

Question on strop microns vs ceramic microns

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Advanced Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Question on strop microns vs ceramic microns

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Pat 10/21/2019 at 5:29 pm.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Pat
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 106

If I have ceramics at the 1.4/0.6 micron level, why would I want to strop at that micron level?  Wouldn’t I always want to strop at a micron level lower (say 0.5 or lower in this case after using the micro fine ceramics which are at 1.4 / 0.6 microns) than my last diamond or ceramic grit?

I know that strops are a refinement tool and not really designed to remove metal/scratches like diamonds and ceramics, so I am sure that plays a part in this.  Also, it may have to do with whether I want a sharper edge vs a polished edge.

Thanks for any thoughts.

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by  Pat.

Pat
    Participant

Anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller?

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 121
    • Replies: 2906

Hi Pat,

You can strop with a higher grit because the abrasive acts very differently with a soft substrate. The action of the strop is also unique because they can stretch the edge up into a very fine peak.

-Clay

2 users thanked author for this post.

Pat
    Participant

Thanks Clay.  Can you tell me what advantage ceramics have in the grit progression?  I don’t see you or Kyle us them often in demos, unless I have missed it.  Folks seem to be leaning toward DLFs and not sure if that is because it really is an advancement in technology making the ceramics antiquated.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.