Advanced Search

Puma White Hunter help

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Todd Heiskell
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 15

Has anyone tried sharpening a white hunter one the WEP. I have one on the way and was worried about all of the irregular angles on the blade. It doesn’t look like there is anywhere to clamp the blade except at the base. I was thinking about trying the tormek small knife jig and clamping using the handle. the other thing that worries me, is the angle of the edge. Im not sure it is the same all the way down the blade.

developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 52
    • Replies: 263

i have had good results with the Tormek SVM-00 small knife jig.

Working to make knife.wickededgeusa.com a great forum!

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Looks to me that the knife may be to big for the Tormek adapter, but maybe not. Of the photos I see on the Puma web site, it looks like there is a flat area just above the belly, which is where I’d try first. Maybe even mount the knife so that it points upward at some angle to find a sweet spot.

Do you have a Gen 3 vise? The blade is 0.2″ thick.

Maybe use the Tormek adapter with one of the Ram units to stabilize the blade.

Todd Heiskell
    Participant

I have the Gen II pro and my Gen 3 should be here Wednesday. I did consider the flat above the belly of the knife. Its been a few years since I have seen the WH in person but for some reason I was thinking that area was also sloped award the spine on the knife. That may be the way to go. the blade thickness might cause problems for the Gen III but I don’t think I would have any trouble in my other one.. I am beginning to think this would be a good knife for Clay to do a video on. Lots of things make this a bugger to sharpen

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

large knives like that w/ a grind on the spine can be problematic… sounds like Tom is spot on! that’s what I’d try…

Todd Heiskell
    Participant

Well I received my White Hunter today. Tom you were correct, The flat above the curve is the best place. Thanks for the help!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.