Advanced Search

Problems??!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Lance Waller
    Participant
    • Topics: 23
    • Replies: 138

I am sharpening a Brous Silent Soldier Flipper for a customer and I am having a few problems. The knife came from the factory with an uneven bevel. But the problem I am having is the actual age… If you lay it on a flat surface is uneven(see pic). Do I grind the actual age down to make it flat on a diamond stone and then resharpen? Need a few pointers. Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

Has the blade been sharpened before?

Some blades have a natural wave to them, but this seems a bit “subtle” to be intentional.

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Depends on your customer, I would ask them. If you were sure that you did not do that to the edge then I would phrase it in a way like this:

” I can straighten the edge for you into a true wharncliffe edge but it will cost $xx.xx amount extra, or I can leave it as is – it’s purely cosmetic and won’t affect function at all…”

Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

Every Brous I have come across has had a f*cked up grind on the edge. Every one. Especially annoying is their plunge cut. Half of the time the edge is widened so much that both sides aren’t connected. That ss is an easy fix and won’t take long.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I agree with both Gib and Dan. I looked at a number of photos on Google and the edges all look very much like your photos above. So my guess is this is the factory edge – probably done on a narrow belt system without a platen behind the belt.

I think this would be an easy fix on your WEPS, Just start out gently, with a focus on the high spots until you’re satisfied that the edge is straight. I’d be careful not to over do it, as there aren’t a lot of resharpenings left in this knife, before you’ve weakened the blade at the finger hole.

If you have a good set of bench stones and know how to use them, a few straight-line passes on a medium India stone could straighten the edge in no time. Be really careful with the angle. Then finish on the WEPS.

Or maybe the customer (owner) isn’t even aware of the uneven edge, in which case I’d proceed normally and not be concerned with correcting the wavy edge.

I’m from a frugal background and I would have been put off by the $200+ price tag and the lack of “meat” between the finger hole and the edge. At 4mm thick D2, I suppose when you hold it in your hand it feels plenty strong, but there’s still a limited number of sharpenings in the life of this knife.

Victor
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 80

My “200 limited run carbon SSF” framelock were @ $415!

First one had similar uneven grinds – but worst. Replacement was again – no better.

Since we are on the subject on cutting edge, I am leaving fit & finish out. First time ever, needed to return a knife order!

Got refunded – no more Brous. 😉

Sorry, OP, no suggestion on your dilemma.

Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

Hey Victor next time you’re looking for a higher end knife send me an email. I wouldn’t mind giving a price break to other w.e. members if I can.

Lance Waller
    Participant
    • Topics: 23
    • Replies: 138

The customer wanted it straightened out. ive had the same problem with these knives. I had 3 of em and they were all bad. I was just wondering the best way to fix it?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.