Advanced Search

Plane Chisel adapter

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Bill Sutherland
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 31

Just got my Plane Chisel adapter and I think I mounted it properly but there were no instructions on how to mount or use it.  Does anyone have any tips on how to set it up.  Not sure how high it should be set in the clamps or if it should be bottomed out on the top of the clamp.  There’s a clear plastic plate that screws into the bottom and I’m not sure if that has anything to do with the angle or if it is just for support.  I did get it working on a old chisel but not sure if the setup is correct.  Do these things usually come with instructions?

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

The clear plastic plate is used to set the position of the cutting edge.  You move it to its “out” position, then clamp your chisel with the edge resting on the plastic plate.  Once clamped, you move the plastic plate back to its retracted position.

I think that the actual purpose is to allow you to remove the chisel for inspection and/or backside polishing, then return it to the same position for additional work.  I don’t recall if mine came with instructions or not.  I think not and I see that no instructions are listed on the “instructions” page.

I found that the adapter doesn’t go wide enough to hold plane blades.  I made a simple “adapter adapter” with a section of T-track I had laying around.  I tapped a couple of 3/8″-16 holes to bolt the plane blade to, then clamped that bar in the chisel adapter.  Unfortunately, this moves the plane blade’s cutting edge out too far to use the plastic doomajiggy.  Easy enough to make a longer one for this application.

IMG_0495 compressed

At the time, I didn’t have any short 3/8″ bolts, so I made a pair out of a long carriage bolt and some nuts.  You’ll note that the bar sits a little above the surface of the adapter.  I couldn’t find a piece of bar stock of the right thickness, but this worked pretty good.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.