Advanced Search

Picture hosting in the 'cloud'

Recent Forums Main Forum Off Topic Picture hosting in the 'cloud'

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Bill, I wanted to post a public SmugMug picture here, but I don’t know how to get the URL from SmugMug that I should place between the [ I M G ] codes here. I’ve already found out it’s not the URL SmugMug shows when you view the pic on screen in SmugMug. But how do I find out what it is?

Mark, go into your image album, click on the image. When it is full screen right click and then click on “copy image address”. This is the address you put in between the tags here. like this…

Josh
    Participant

Mark, I think I found a way to get the % off… I can “gift” smugmug to someone and save 40% off of their subscription, as well as 20% credit towards the renewal of mine in a year. I could sign up, then ‘gift’ it to you and we could split the 40% off (so 20% each) and then you can paypal me the $ =)

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

That’s good news, Josh. I guess that in the near future I will have to paypal you some money anyway 😀 . (I like my reprofiled and somewhat thinned Kershaw Blur so much that it is now my EDC 100% of the time, but I also want one lying in a strategic place in the house. And maybe something with diamond film…)

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Mark76
    Participant

Ah, that works! Thanks Josh! (By the way… unfortunately not a view from my house. It’s from my last holiday in Austria.)

Mark76
    Participant

The only question I’ve still got (and you apparently, too, Josh) is whether sharing private images and galleries is also available with the basic account, since it has no “private sharing”. But as I said before, I don’t know if that is the same as being able to post links to friends and family without making my pics available to the rest of the world.

[Update] It seems SmugMug has two levels of sharing photos and galleries with specific people. The normal way is sending a link and anyone with a link can view the photos. This seems available with the basic account. And an advanced way with even more protection: your friends and family get an email directly from SmugMug and then need to make a guest account. This seems available only with the power account. http://news.smugmug.com/2015/03/10/new-private-sharing-share-with-only-the-people-you-choose/ . For me the first way of protection is sufficient.

But it’d be nice if anyone (Bill?) could confirm this.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 427

Sorry.. just got here… Happy New Year to all, A long night last night.. OK IM here all day to help..

for those who have had free web hosting… Smug Mug is a Professional website… ir offers every type of securitiy… you only need the basic account to

create your won web site

to add folders ( withing those folders are galleries that you can add , and within those galleries are the photos and videos.

you can customize any folder or gallery to to unlisted ( just for you )  you can make folders and galleries and photos public or private

you can make a folder, add selected folders to it, 9 As many as you want ) then send the link to that special folder to anyone you choose . when they get that link.. they can click the link , and that folder will open and they can view ” ALL of the photos in that folder… because they are hosted within Smug mugs server… if you email photos from your email account they are sent within the actual email and are subject to a file limit,, in most case 2 GB.

I know this might be all greek… but if you ask a specific question to me. in a single post here.. I will giver you the specific answer to that question..

lik e your computer there are many ways to accomplish the same thing in Smug Mug.  you can copy and past, you can choose a size, get that sizes URL and post it..

You tell me what you want to do, and I will show you how to do it..

Anonymous
    Inactive

for those wanted my discount,  go to smug mug, then choose try it now… fill in the information then click subscribe Now. if you like.

set up your basic account and then put in my discount code in the field provided. and  you are good for a year.. You will love it..the end of this month I will be with Smug mug for Ten years…

Questions?

fire away.

Anonymous
    Inactive

the basic account will give you all the privacy you want.. you can have for your eyes only galleries and folders, or you can make them public.

you can make any URL of a photo owner hidden ( meaning the URL can show the owners name, or you can make the owner private.) this is all in the customization tab.

Anonymous
    Inactive

BTW that discount code I gave you guys is not a link.. its a coupon code .. it is to be placed into the discount field when you set up your account.

it will ask which account you want ( choose Basic ) you don’t need a higher level of account unless you sell photos on line and have a photographic business.

You can choose a screen name and it will ask for credit card information. etc.you have to select a password.   Once you have you account set up, you can then start to personalize your own Smug mug Home page… ( very easy to do, with a lot of options for  style and color etc..) choosing folders can be as simple as calling them “2016”   inside the 2016 folder you can add galleries like ( summer vaction, New knives , my hunting adventure in the mountains, Grandmom’s birthday etc. inside these galleries will be photos you place that represent that gallery name… )

this helps you to categorize your photos. This helps with quick access to specific photos… EG ( you want to show a picture of your grandmothers birthday barty in 2016. open your smug mug account  go to home page, go to folder 2016, open it, then look for the gallery called Grandmom’s Birthday, open oit then look at the thumb nail print within that gallery, select the photo you want to show, click on it, and at the bottom will be icons, you can edit a photo crop it , or use hundreds of tools to make the photo better.. you can go to the shar icon at the bottom. it will opne to a drop down menu where you can select the size, once you click on the size, it will show a URL for that photo in the size you select. … jisy copy and past that url anywhere you want, and you will have the photo of your grand mother in the size you want.

Anonymous
    Inactive

You can make your whole Smug Mug account Private if you like…

Anonymous
    Inactive

BTW.. this forum limits the size of photo that can be placed here

Mark76
    Participant

the basic account will give you all the privacy you want.. you can have for your eyes only galleries and folders, or you can make them public. you can make any URL of a photo owner hidden ( meaning the URL can show the owners name, or you can make the owner private.) this is all in the customization tab.

Thanks for your extensive answer, Bill! The only question I’ve still got is the following. Suppose I have the basic account. Then I can make a gallery or folder “unlisted” (I guess this means private). But can I then still send out links to friends and family so  they can see they can see these pics? Or do I need the power account for that?

Josh
    Participant

Yeah I’m wanting to know what mark asked as well Bill… also, there is no place to put the discount code that I can see after I select the plan, it just asks for my personal info and card number. Is it on the screen after I hit ‘subscribe’?

Also, w/ the basic will I still get my own URL? i.e. razoredgeknives.smugmug.com

Josh
    Participant

Ah, that works! Thanks Josh! (By the way… unfortunately not a view from my house. It’s from my last holiday in Austria.)

Man… very very beautiful mark!! Love those pics! lucky you…

Anonymous
    Inactive

Mark this is the URL of that photo mdeweger.smugmug.com/Forum-gallery/i-vqGdJZf/0/X3/2015-08-31%20Tschengla_0100-X3.jpg… it shows mdeweger.. IM guessing that is your last name deweger….. you can remove that by going to the gallery where that photo lives and select customize and then select hid owner… and the mdeweger will be removed from the Url .. but the actual photo will be unaffected.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.