Advanced Search

Picture hosting in the 'cloud'

Recent Forums Main Forum Off Topic Picture hosting in the 'cloud'

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I have been using google/picasa but they scale the images back or it counts to your size limit. So I have since switched to Smugmug, which so far seems to be PERFECT. It is intuitive and simple to use, and they allow you to upload photos that are 150mb EACH (which is crazy huge I think). The paid plans are reasonable w/ unlimited storage.

Who do you guys use?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 427

That’s a shame.. I could have saved you some good money had I know of your interest, I’ve been  a SmugMug  client for 8 years,,, Anyone interested in joining, I could give you a code to save you 20 dollars. I have 80,000 photos and videos secured and available 24 /7 for embedding into any conversation, there is so much flexibility within the program, it makers host sights like Photobucket very anemic by comparison.. if you want to secure your photos or videos and have them available, or to send a secure set of photos to a discrete email addy, Smug mug works very well….. IN my almost 9 years of participation , there has never  been a time where SmugMug was not all I ever wanted in a host sight.

Josh
    Participant

I haven’t joined yet hehe, I’m just doing the trial program. However, I am probably going to do it on the monthly basis initially as I am tight on cash right now. It is nice to hear positive feedback about them! I wanted something that I could host full resolution images from my dslr and this seemed like a great option!

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

In that case I must use Smug Smug. If all you tell guys is true (and how could it not be 😉 ), it must be much better than Photobucket (which I use now). I still kind of like the functionality of Photobucket, but their user interface and all their advertisements suck big time. Also, for posting on forums retaining the original resolution of photos is not so important (I use a T3i 😉 with 18MP resolution – TIFF files can be well over 100MB), since forums will scale your photos down anyway. (So what’s the use of being able to upload a 150MB photo when you’re going to post it on a forum?) For backing up important personal photos I use Google Drive, but I don’t share those with the rest of the world.

The reason I have continued to use Photobucket for forum photos is their reliability. I’d like a site like this to be still there in a few years and since Photobucket has such a large number of users, there are good chances they will be there then. Have you guys any idea about Smug Smug in that respect? (I’d never heard of them until now.) And what if you do their trial program and then decide not to pay? Have you lost your access to your photos then?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Anonymous
    Inactive

To both of you guys…Smug Mug has been around 13 years… there servers are all backed up …. Ive never had any down time or glitches if you use the basic program its 5 dollars a month ( 60 a year )  if you get the basic package and buy a year its ( 40 dollars a one time payment  ) I can however save you 20% on that which would cost your 32 dollars one time. for unlimited storage, or you could select one of the more professional programs, to which I could save you 20 %.  But you can not beat the flexibility of unlimited stored and a simple link to post or embed any size photo you want.. there are also some good basic tools to edit your photos… Like I said, I’ve been using them for a very long time..

Bill aka ET

Anonymous
    Inactive

Programs like photo bucket are ok but are riddled with spam, as far as reliability.. Smug mug has not had any… Smug mug is a professional hosting sight, some of my professional photographer friends are paying 300 dollars a year to have Smug mug host their photographic business..

there is absolutely no spam, advertisements, or Banners… you can send, host, a single photo up to 150 GB or anything smaller. you can hos a 20 minute 1080P video… remember unlimited storage.. both photo files and videos.

Josh
    Participant

I’m with ya bill!! Loving it so far, it’s a very clean interface and I’m loving the options so far. I think there is even a wordpress app that will allow me to embed a smugmug slideshow on my website – but that’s down the road =)

If you get time, pm me that promo code if you can, I would greatly appreciate it! They already offer great prices.

Anonymous
    Inactive

BTW, since I know all about Smug mug, I can help you get started but Smug mug also has the most incredible support staff.. 24/7.

You build your own site within Smug mug,, have your own galleries, with specific photos inside.. you choose who can view them, you can make them all private, or all open, unlisted galleries are for your eyes only… you can aslo make a private gallery, and send just the link to that gallery so friends can gotheir to view 10 pictures or 100 pictures.. and videao as you choose to put in that gallery.. you then can create a private url that you can send to anyone and they can click on that to view just that private gallery..

Anonymous
    Inactive

Code sent

If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask… Ive turned lots of people on to Smug mug… if you like photos and like to embed them in forums.,.. it doesn’t get much easier than this. Once you go with Smug mug, you will wonder why you did not know about this sooner.. as far a Photobucket goes..

it hosts photos, on a scale of one to ten Photobucket is a 2…. If you have a lot of photos, and like to access them , email them and embed them, have your own personal website with controlled access, without the adds, spam and banners.. Smug mug is a 10.

Anonymous
    Inactive

embedded video from my smug mug account ( make sure your speakers are on )

One of my wildlife setups.

DSC01876

Anonymous
    Inactive

e of the thousands of Wildlife photos Ive taken.. took this from 50 meters away… hosted by SmugMug

2 users thanked author for this post.
    cliff58
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 20

Bill that deer picture almost looks like I’m looking out my window,great pics!

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Whooha! I’m convinced, Bill! Great pics, particularly the one with the deer. I retract my previous remarks about picture quality on forums 😀 .

If you have the time to pm me a code as well, I’d greatly appreciate it!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Anonymous
    Inactive

here is a shot of the place where I shot a lot of my wildlife photography

Anonymous
    Inactive

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.