Advanced Search

New user needs help

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies New user needs help

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Greg Roddy
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

So this knife is a fresh pasta knife from a long gone company named Pino. I am looking for help as this blade goes straight across its edge and doesn’t curve like most knives and is also quite long at almost 11″ long

Attachments:
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Greg Roddy, welcome to the Wicked Edge Forum.

I have never seen or sharpened a pasta knife.  My guess for it, based on a bit of sharpening experience and some cooking experience is, it’s not intended to be a very sharp knife.  It’s made to press down through cut and not for slicing.  I’m guessing a straight flat level obtuse angle knife edge is desired.  You want an edge that makes long straight cuts by pressing flat and straight down with out any rocking of the edge or slicing.  I’m guessing it’s for cutting folded sheets of thinned pasta into long ribbon noodles, like spaghetti and fettuccine.

I’d clamp this pasta knife centered in your vise, tip to heel with the edge totally horizontal.  I’m guessing a 20 degree per side bevel angle is as narrow as you’d ever need.  A totally flat level cutting edge is the goal.   I’m sure it’s meant mostly for push cutting.  I don’t thing you need an hair splitting sharp or a toothy edge.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Greg Roddy
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Well actually yes and no…there is kinda a forward and down slicing motion while using like the back 1/3rd of the blade and I does have to be pretty sharp as with fresh pasta if it doesn’t go through cleanly it can actually press the layers together making separation more difficult

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

If this pasta knife were properly sharpened @ 20dps with a stone progression through 1000 grit. Then stropped to smooth the bevel shoulder and the edge.  It’ll  certainly ribbon newspaper.  That’s sharp enough to cut your pasta clean with the knife action you describe.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.