Advanced Search

New kid on the block

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat New kid on the block

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Brewbear
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 168

Hi all,

I am waiting for my WE 130 to make its way to me, it seems that checking tracking every hour doesn’t make it move faster. I have been reading the newbie threads and there is a tremendous amount of information, thank you all. So far I have a bucket full (more or less) of old knives and 99 cents store knives. In addition to the WE 130 I also ordered the 800/1000 set and a set of blank handles/glass platens. I am now ordering the 1500 grit set but honestly, the variety of choices can be a bit bewildering.

My main objective is to attain a sharp, functional blade for now, I’ll get more ambitious as time goes by and gain more experience. I now see the need for a alignment guide so it is in the cart, I already have a Wixey angle gauge and I’m undecided on which digital microscope to get without breaking the bank.

So, the alignment guide, the 1500 grit set are in the cart, the microscope is waiting for your advice. What else should I order to get started? I am planning on making a base/storage box combo and would like to get an idea of how much more space it will need to have in order to keep all in one place.

I also noticed that you clean the blade before starting with a new, finer grit. I would imagine that is a must when using ceramic blocks but when else do you do it, also, what do you use to clean the blades?

Many thanks in advance, I’m off to check tracking again.

Cheers,

Brewbear, a.k.a Ted

• This topic was modified 5 years ago by Brewbear.
    Richard
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 183

Hey Ted and welcome to the group.  It took me a good couple of weeks of practicing for the light bulb to come on and now, thanks to the guys in this forum, I’m cranking out some pretty decent edges.  The microscope that Airscape recommended was https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XNYXQHE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and it works fantastic, much better than a jeweler’s loupe.  I also went with the 1200/1600 ceramic and am glad I did.  I wipe my blade with a wet paper towel after each stone, regardless of if it’s diamond or ceramic.  I watched all the YouTube videos while I waited on mine and I still had issues so just be patient and ask a bunch of questions.  Also, read my initial introductory post and you’ll see what I went through LOL.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Brewbear
    Participant

One more question, what diameter are the guide rods? I want to fashion a type of shaft collar for them. Thanks.

airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 367

One more question, what diameter are the guide rods? I want to fashion a type of shaft collar for them. Thanks.

6.45mm .  Check the Modification forum, lots of different ways to make stops.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Brewbear
    Participant

Thank you for that, ordered the “boots” on e-bay. I have been reading the mods forum too, all great ideas.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Brewbear
    Participant

So….I found the 1500 grit stone at Best Sharpening Stones as a “kit” with several strips of lapping film. I would normally go for it but I happened to read some rather negative posts regarding this company. My first concern is that they are not authentic but copies of the WE stones, the lapping film is not diamond but alumina (I seem to remember a color chart in a thread here and is was for alumina film) and lastly, the company is not reputable. Even though I’m not flush with cash, I’d rather pay a little more and get the authentic items. What do you folks think?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Brewbear, there are several different abrasives used in lapping films.  If it’s not distinguishable what their selling don’t buy it.  Some sellers simply call it lapping film.

Also Wicked Edge redesigned their paddles and have them made now with a new manufacturing method that yields tighter tolerances on the Wicked Edge guide rods.  If you can’t verify whether it’s new or old stock you’re buying, then I recommend you buy from a source that you can.

That being said I have made purchases from Best with out complaints or issues.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Brewbear
    Participant

@MarcH, thank you for the reply. I wasn’t aware of the paddles being redesigned. I will buy my supplies from WE and be certain they are “the real thing”.

It didn’t take me too long! I ordered the 1500 grit and 6 micron diamond lapping sheets along with the alignment guide.

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by Brewbear.
    airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 367

Brewbear, when you apply the film to the glass the first time.  Be very careful to clean the glass first and make sure there is NO dust or dirt in the area or on the stone or your shirt etc etc  that could fall on to the surface…  The smallest of partials trapped between the film and glass will make a bump and cause problems.  You can not remove and replace the same film or get that dirt out of the adhesive, it is junked.

I know this as I now have an odd number of LF pieces left ..

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by airscapes.
    • This reply was modified 5 years ago by airscapes.
    4 users thanked author for this post.
    Brewbear
    Participant

@airscapes, thank you very much for the heads up. I will be very careful. On a happy note, my WE130 arrived today but I will not be able to play until Sunday late afternoon. I will let you all know how it went.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.