Advanced Search

New Gen 3 Pro in House!

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat New Gen 3 Pro in House!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Tom, Thanks for taking the time to elaborate.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Any slippage issues on thin kitchen knives guys? What are you using to prevent this, tape like in the old vise jaws?

__________________________________________________________________________________

Clay, any update on stock thickness limitation? If we could get up to 1/4″ I would def. be ordering one…

I just can’t be switching out the entire vise assembly each time I need to sharpen a 1/4″ blade. may have to pick up a second WEPS lol. I have a very great potential need for this in the near future… have a few thousand razor blades for a production factory I may be picking up to do and seconds are essential to making $. Even if I save 5-10 seconds per blade that adds up. thanks.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Any slippage issues on thin kitchen knives guys? What are you using to prevent this, tape like in the old vise jaws?

__________________________________________________________________________________

Clay, any update on stock thickness limitation? If we could get up to 1/4″ I would def. be ordering one…

I just can’t be switching out the entire vise assembly each time I need to sharpen a 1/4″ blade. may have to pick up a second WEPS lol. I have a very great potential need for this in the near future… have a few thousand razor blades for a production factory I may be picking up to do and seconds are essential to making $. Even if I save 5-10 seconds per blade that adds up. thanks.

It’s in the works, we’re just waiting on the shop to turn them out. They just lost one of their main guys to a heart attack this weekend, so they’re slowed down a little but the jaws will definitely be available within the month and they’re very easy to swap out without taking everything apart.

-Clay

Josh
    Participant

It’s in the works, we’re just waiting on the shop to turn them out. They just lost one of their main guys to a heart attack this weekend, so they’re slowed down a little but the jaws will definitely be available within the month and they’re very easy to swap out without taking everything apart.[/quote]

Thanks for the update Clay! Alright… I couldn’t hold off any longer… just ordered the upgrade a few hours ago. Looking forward to it!

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I couldn’t hold off any longer…

😆

You did remarkably well… until now 😉

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Josh
    Participant

I couldn’t hold off any longer…

😆

You did remarkably well… until now ;)[/quote]

Well thank you!! To date I have sharpened 520 knives this year on the Wicked Edge… it only makes sense, no? :huh: 😆

Mark76
    Participant

Wow, 520!! That could make you the heaviest WE user in the world… There should be an award for this :cheer: . Is this mainly reprofiling (i.e. starting with blunt edges) or redoing edges you’ve done before?

And yes, that makes a lot of sense. I’ve been inclined to get the Gen 3 more than once, but still managed to wait until I know more about doing very thin & very thick knives.

Josh
    Participant

Wow, 520!! That could make you the heaviest WE user in the world… There should be an award for this :cheer: . Is this mainly reprofiling (i.e. starting with blunt edges) or redoing edges you’ve done before?

And yes, that makes a lot of sense. I’ve been inclined to get the Gen 3 more than once, but still managed to wait until I know more about doing very thin & very thick knives.

I doubt it 😛 Tuffy probably sharpens far more than that! And most of those are not reprofiling… I am doing the major reprofile work on the belt sander then micro beveling w/ the 800/1k grits, so those are probably used the most.

I did spend about 6 hours reprofiling and sharpening by hand a double edged dagger to 15 dps… yeah, that was when I made the decision I am no longer offering hand reprofiling on fixed blades :woohoo: :side:

developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 52
    • Replies: 263

Hia

Gone from EdgePro Apex to WE gn 3.
    Happy so far even if the keramic stones sure gives a finer edge.

Sorry to say my kit missed the alignment tool :(, have tried to get in contakt with WE whithout any luck!

Working to make knife.wickededgeusa.com a great forum!

developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 52
    • Replies: 263

After just a few knifes I found out that the wheel klambing the knife was realy hurt by the particles from the stones.
    It was realy damaged by scratsches and going realy slow (sorry for bad english but i hope u understand)

I trying this, I also have seen Clyed’s tip about sponge and dishwater and another using a magnet but havent tryed it yet

Working to make knife.wickededgeusa.com a great forum!

Josh
    Participant

Just got mine back from the machine shop where he printed the jaws for some custom A2 ones! Had him shave off the little hump too.

These have great clamping power, very similar to the prototype I handled.

Mark76
    Participant

That looks way cool! That is clamping power!

But… could you please translate your message in the sort of English a foreigner could understand? Does this WEPS already feature the printed (is that 3D-printing?) jaws? And what’s a custom A2 one? What happened? :cheer:

Josh
    Participant

That looks way cool! That is clamping power!

But… could you please translate your message in the sort of English a foreigner could understand? Does this WEPS already feature the printed (is that 3D-printing?) jaws? And what’s a custom A2 one? What happened? :cheer:

Haha sorry Mark I may not have been using the correct terminology.

What I meant was that I am having a friend make me some new vise gripper inserts (the part that is removeable on the existing gen 3 vise) that are made out of A2 and hardened. They will be narrower at the tip so I can get lower angles, and also I had him taper in the top so it is the width of the current gen 1 and 2 models (about 1″ wide). Hope this clarifies!

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Hi Josh, Since the tips are narrower will you be able to use the LAA? Will your friend make these for other WEPS Gen3 users?

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Josh
    Participant

Hi Josh, Since the tips are narrower will you be able to use the LAA? Will your friend make these for other WEPS Gen3 users?

Probably not since it will be tapered instead of straight up, but it wouldn’t take much to just grind off the sides and make it work. I will see if I can get some extra after I test this one out and make sure all is well.

I never use my LAA anyway… if I need lower I go w/ the Tormek small knife jig which can handle any size knife pretty much.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.