Advanced Search

New EDC- Need Suggestions – Leek Nuts Chime IN!

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Specific Discussion New EDC- Need Suggestions – Leek Nuts Chime IN!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

Hi All,
    I need some suggestions for a new EDC.
    I’ve beaten the tar outta my Kershaw Leek with a CPM-D2 blade. Its in need of retirement…soon.
    So in a perfect world, a Leek with a supersteel blade…and that definition changes so fast it makes me cry.

However, I am open to something new, preferably not a HUGE knife- as it goes everywhere and I don’t want anyone freaking over an intimidating knife. But I want a smooth fast opening knife, and a hard wearing blade thats at least RC60+.

I am not a rich man, but I have about a 250.00 budget.

So…gentlemen, what’s your favorite?

Is there a Leek with a decent steel out there?

I was drooling over the old Cali 3 Spyderco in damascus, but they got pricey…

thoughts?

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Funny the folder that is my go to and I did not expect it is my Hogue EX 3

http://www.hogueknives.com/pages/ex-03-specifications.php

They just got it right with this one. Edge will last a very long time and I find it very comfortable to grip.
    I just got this one today EX 4

http://www.hogueknives.com/pages/ex-04-specifications.php

And it is extremely comfortable in the hand, more so the then the EX 3. I have not time with the blade yet? So I can’t say how well it will hold an edge? They are within your budget, but if you can spend some more and can deal with a neck knife? Here is my favorite of the favorites.

http://www.cartercutlery.com/neck-knives/

Good luck and have fun with your new knife what ever you get I’m sure it will be very nice!

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I’ve always carried cheap pocket knives – only once spent >$50 on a SOG, only to decide it was too heavy for EDC. A few weeks ago, I finally had to have one in ZDP-189, as LeoBarr spoke so highly of it and google searches brought tons of positive stuff. Bought a Spyderco Delica 4 in ZDP-189; about $83 on Amazon. I’m truly impressed with the whole knife, but the steel just feels like it’s in another league at RC65. It’s like it has a grandmother who was ceramic. I don’t know how durable it’s going to be, but I did cut some cardboard yesterday that usually dulls my cheap knives quickly. Couldn’t tell there’d been any wear at all. Rockstead laminates it between layers of VG-10, probably to protect against being too brittle.

I think all Spyderco designs are ugly-ass knives; strictly form follows function, but this one is really comfortable, extremely well-designed and light enough that I can avoid that bane of geezerhood -suspenders.

I very carefully zeroed the knife vertically in my vise and found that the left side was at 17 deg. while the right was at 24. I used my 1000’s to clean up the toothy factory edge, then polished it off down the sequence to the 3.5 strops.

SethC
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 7

I own a Sypderco Stretch in ZDP-189 and I have to say that is good steel. Depending on the size of knife you want to carry you can get it in a Dragonfly 2, Delica, Endura, Stretch. All great knives.

You can also check out a Spyderco Chaparral.

Check out a Benchmad Mini Barrage in M390 steel. Good stuff.

Those are just a couple off the top of my head.

SethC
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 7

You might want to check out the Spyderco Centofante as well. Kinda of Leek looking 🙂 Just VG10 steel but I’ve had good lick with VG10.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Benchmade mini grip gets my vote all day… Sounds like it fits what you are wanting perfectly. It goes fits my hands perfectly, opens smooth, and lightweight, and you can get it in m4 🙂

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=121272004917

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Yeah it is hard to beat a Spyderco! I have the Native s30v and it stays crazy sharp! But like TC says butt ugly! A true work hoarse though!! :cheer:

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

My favorite right now is the Spyderco Memory (bottom knife)

Smooth operation. Carries great. Thin, super slicer!

Ken

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

What’s the upper one?

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

What’s the upper one?

Spyderco Nilakka. Also a very nice design.

Ken

Fred Hermann
    Participant

Wow, all good ideas!
    So thoughts.
    The Hogue knives look cool, but before I drop decent money on something like that, I’d want to touch it. Many times it’s all about feel.
    Spyderco, I agree with the ‘butt ugly’ comment, many of them are.
    I dug around and can’t seem to find an Endura in BLACK that’s got a ZDP – 189 blade, they’re all green.
    So if any of you have a line on a black one….
    Other thoughts, the Benchmade Mini Barrage looks good, is the full size one a big heavy brute? And is their opening system considered a switchblade? I know the Leeks assist mechanism is not…
    Also, I have not seen where there are different steels offered for these, so maybe my research is faulty?
    I’m liking the Cali 3.5 and 3 in carbon fiber and ZDP- 189. My worry is the pocket clip looks flimsy.

Any others I should be drooling over?

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

[

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

My personal favorite EDC is a Benchamde Mini Ritter Grip in CPM-M4 with Kevin Wilkins aluminum scales.

That being said I do not have own any Kershaw knives. I will suggest any knife with CPM-M4. I love the steel, easy to sharpen, stays sharp a long time. Somewhat prone to rust as it only has 4% Cr. Never been a problem for me, but I would not advise it if you live in FL or on the coast. Since it is not a true stainless steel it is most often coated. Not a problem for me but i know many don’t like coated blades.

Fred Hermann
    Participant

I am not concerned with rust, I take very good care of my EDC, so non stainless is fine.
    Heck my D-2 Leek looks new unless you know what to look for.
    I’ll take a look in the Benchmade pile…seems I need to dig in there a while, I don’t know enough about them…

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

+1 on the ritter… There is a difference in the mini grip and mini ritter grip. The ritter grip seems to be designed to slice even more efficiently. But good luck in finding it in m4, I think that is very difficult to find as they come standard in s30v.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.