Advanced Search

New EDC- Need Suggestions – Leek Nuts Chime IN!

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Specific Discussion New EDC- Need Suggestions – Leek Nuts Chime IN!

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Have any of you gents heard anything about the 3-inch limit or pocket knives and concealed carry laws?

Hey TC, you may want to check here for more info on carry laws. It does indeed vary by state. Check this out TC… it looks like a leek would be considered a switchblade according to Wisconsin code of laws 941.24.

“Whoever manufactures, sells or offers to sell, transports, purchases, possesses or goes armed with any knife having a blade which opens by pressing a button, spring or other device in the handle or by gravity or by a thrust or movement is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor. ” how ambiguous is that?!! wow.

I love the knife laws here in SC…. as in THERE ARE NONE lol. you can literally carry a Microtech auto or any switchblade or size you want into the local Law Enforcement Center and be perfectly fine =) the exception being school property.

I posted this on BF as well:

you won’t have any problems here in SC… I live in the upstate of SC (Greenville area) as well and am actually a law enforcement officer in the county. Glistam is right above… it does appear as if the law was changed a few years back. I will highlight the important info for you…

Old law:
    “South Carolina – 16-23-460. Carrying concealed weapons; forfeiture of weapons.
    Any person carrying a deadly weapon usually used for the infliction of personal injury concealed about his person is guilty of a misdemeanor, must forfeit to the county, or, if convicted in a municipal court, to the municipality the concealed weapon, and must be fined not less than two hundred dollars nor more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned not less than thirty days nor more than ninety days. Nothing herein contained may be construed to apply to (1) persons carrying concealed weapons upon their own premises or pursuant to and in compliance with Article 4 of Chapter 31 of Title 23, or (2) peace officers in the actual discharge of their duties. The provisions of this section do not apply to rifles, shotguns, dirks, slingshots, metal knuckles, or razors unless they are used with the intent to commit a crime or in furtherance of a crime. ”

New law:
    “16-23-460: (A) A person carrying a deadly weapon usually used for the infliction of personal injury concealed about his person is guilty of a misdemeanor, must forfeit to the county, or, if convicted in a municipal court, to the municipality, the concealed weapon, and must be fined not less than two hundred dollars nor more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned not less than thirty days nor more than ninety days.
    (B) The provisions of this section do not apply to:
    (1) A person carrying a concealed weapon upon his own premises or pursuant to and in compliance with Article 4, Chapter 31 of Title 23; or
    (2) peace officers in the actual discharge of their duties.
    (C) The provisions of this section also do not apply to rifles, shotguns, dirks, slingshots, metal knuckles, knives, or razors unless they are used with the intent to commit a crime or in furtherance of a crime.”

Old law:
    “16-23-405. Definition of “weapon”; confiscation and disposition of weapons used in commission or in furtherance of crime.
    (1) Except for the provisions relating to rifles and shotguns in Section 16-23-460, as used in this chapter, ‘weapon’ means firearm (rifle, shotgun, pistol, or similar device that propels a projectile through the energy of an explosive), a knife with a blade over two inches long, a blackjack, a metal pipe or pole, or any other type of device or object which may be used to inflict bodily injury or death.
    (2) A person convicted of a crime, in addition to a penalty, shall have a weapon used in the commission or in furtherance of the crime confiscated. ”

New law:
    16-23-405: Definition of “weapon”; confiscation and disposition of weapons used in commission or in furtherance of crime.
    (A) Except for the provisions relating to rifles and shotguns in Section 16-23-460, as used in this chapter, “weapon” means firearm (rifle, shotgun, pistol, or similar device that propels a projectile through the energy of an explosive), a blackjack, a metal pipe or pole, or any other type of device, or object which may be used to inflict bodily injury or death. ” I.e. no mention of knife in this new statute.

These two laws pretty much sum up the knife laws… there are other factors (if you use it during the commission of a violent crime, different rules for school property, etc.) but nothing more about carrying it. I know that I have never heard of any other fellow LE officer making any charges for having any type of knives unless there were other factors involved. I probably wouldn’t strap your junglas on your leg and walk into wal-mart, but as long as you are concealing your knife you will be fine. hope this helps.

on school property your knife has to be less than 2″ in blade length

*disclaimer (due to the nature of my job): this is not meant to be legal advise. please seek competent legal advise about such laws before carrying.

William Nevins Jr
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 2

i love the Spyderco Centofante for an edc knife very light and the edge retention is not bad. also the vg10 steel sharpens pretty easy

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Fred you may remember way back when you first started your hunt, you fancied my PXL folder from Fallkniven in Sweden, but it was a little too pricey. They now have another PXL, very nice for about 180 dollars in Canadian money. Below is the description. Check out any Fallkniven dealer in the USA and you will find it.
    I am getting old I guess for I can’t remember how to post a picture anymore. Everything I try fails. Help!
    Enjoy Fred.

Fallkniven’s NEW PXL WH (Work horse)

As the name says, this is Fallkniven’s new work horse folder. A larger liner lock for every day use. Hard working, solid, great engineered knife. Steel is the latest laminate cobalt stainless steel to 60-61 HRC, super strong and a great cutting steel.

Slabs are the new plastic Grilon, steel lined.

Total length: 7.83″ (199 mm)
    Length folded: 4.37″ (111 mm)
    Blade length: 3.46″ (88 mm)
    Blade thickness: .14″ (3,5 mm)
    Weight: 6 oz (170 g)
    Steel: Lam.CoS
    Hardness: 60 HRC
    Handle material: Grilon
    Locking: Liner lock

Cheers
    Leo

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

Here’s more info on the air…

Downside is that it doesn’t come with a pocket clip :-

Yeah, it doesn’t come with one, but….

Where there’s a will, and all that! 😉

Ken

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

I am getting old I guess for I can’t remember how to post a picture anymore. Everything I try fails. Help!

Here you go, brother:

Very nice,

(Aside – When did Fallkniven start making knives in Japan? Is that “new”?)

Ken

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

You are very kind mate!
    Not new Ken! They have been doing it for a few years now, A lot of the metals Fallkniven use are Japanese. I am not sure, but perhaps the Japanese insist on the knives being made there in order for their proprietary metals to be used.Whatever is the truth of the matter, the knives are top of the line.

Leo

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

I like this knife the Fallkniven pictured on the stump it looks like a semi classical gentleman’s’ knife conservative styling & classy.

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

Hi LeoMitch,
    Initially I *DID* consider the Fallkniven, and this time price really wasn’t the issue, I think bulk was…I don’t know if I’m ready for something that heavy as an EDC. So I plan to buy a heavy piece of junk at a local flea market and give it a test once it warms up here a little.

So I’ve made a decision…I pulled the trigger on a Benchmade 586 Mini Barrage with M390 steel.
    Its a little chunky, so may help wean me into something near the size of the Fallkniven.
    I really waffled over this one, it was a tough choice, but ultimately Spyderco lost because they are all so darn ugly…and I didn’t have a place like Smokey Mountain Knife Works to go touch and hold them before buying.

Thanks for all the great ideas!

I’ll review the knife once it shows…

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

The right choice is the one that makes your heart skip a beat, puts a grin on your face and it feels like magic in your hand. Only you can find that. Good choice my friend!

All the best
    Leo

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

I think you made a great decision! Their minis are great knives! I have a mini Grip and it is a great little knife. Life is tuff when there is not enough days of the week to carry all your favorite edc’s.
    Now on to the next purchase 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.