Advanced Search

New EDC- Need Suggestions – Leek Nuts Chime IN!

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Specific Discussion New EDC- Need Suggestions – Leek Nuts Chime IN!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Boy, this sure turned out to be a great thread. All kinds of new models and features.

The Spyderco Centofante looked to me to be the most interesting design in Spyderco’s catalogue, but it’s a little too long for me. I think that the limit for pocket knives here is 3″. More than that and a trooper could nail you for violating the concealed carry laws. A friend who went to the CC class here was told so by the instructor. Another friend who went to a different class said the length didn’t matter. I’m not sure what to believe, but I picked the Delica for the ZDP-189 and the shorter blade length.

BTW, ZDP-189 is 20% chromium. D2 is 11.5%. The thread on Spyderco’s forum of ZDP-189 vs S30V suggests that the ZDP stains more easily. With that much Chromium it’s hard to believe that it stains at all. It’s kind of cool to read how hard it is for those guys to sharpen it on their Sharpmakers.

I picked ZDP-189 not because I wanted a perfect knife, but because I wanted to get a feel for what the latest technology offered. I made a couple dozen knives years ago and used D2, which was well established as a good knife steel and hardenable at home. At that time, CPM-154 was considered the new super-steel and for all practical purposes, it was “unobtainium” as there were only a few shops in the country that could harden it.

I don’t have a contemporary frame of reference to compare the ZDP to (e.g. S30V) like some of the other gents here, so I’m easily impressed. Running the stones over the edge presents an entirely different feel for me. It’s clearly very hard; the stones do cut into it but just barely. Must be tough as hell. I’m a little worried about it being brittle, but I gotta get over that.

Have any of you gents heard anything about the 3-inch limit or pocket knives and concealed carry laws?

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

BTW, ZDP-189 is 20% chromium. D2 is 11.5%. The thread on Spyderco’s forum of ZDP-189 vs S30V suggests that the ZDP stains more easily. With that much Chromium it’s hard to believe that it stains at all.

It’s not just the presence of chromium in a steel but the amounts of other elements present. Chromium has two main functions in steel, rust resistance and hardness (determined by the other elements and thermal processing) With lots of carbon, which ZDP has in abundance, chromium tends to form chromium carbides (hardness) rather than provide rust resistance.

ZDP (and D2 for that matter) are both pretty rust free steels. Just not as “stainless” as say VG10.

Ken

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

I dug around and can’t seem to find an Endura in BLACK that’s got a ZDP – 189 blade, they’re all green.
    So if any of you have a line on a black one….

The early ones were blue, but they’ve been green for years. Don’t recall there ever being a black one (though you could RIT dye a green one, they are already pretty dark.

Ken

SethC
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 7

The current line of ZDP steels only come in the British racing green handle. The black handles come with VG10 steel.

I also have the big barrage. Yes, it is a brute but I love the M390 steel. No, it is not considered a switch blade, just a spring assist. You have to push the blade open with the thumb stud before the sprint catches and flies it open. I would love to have a mini in M390. They also have some mini barrage in 154CM steel.

SethC
    Participant

Have any of you gents heard anything about the 3-inch limit or pocket knives and concealed carry laws?

The length limits varry by state. I’m in Nebraska and the length limit here is 3 1/2″

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

Wow, more good info.
    Does anyone have experience with a Spyderco Cali? The pocket clip looks very fragile.

Also, how thick and large are the Benchmade models we’ve been chatting about?
    As to etc length, I was told and confirmed Ohio is 4″ but it is subjective on intent and if the knife is fixed blade, phase of the moon etc

SethC
    Participant

Another good EDC blade (my brother has one) is a Buck Vantage. They come in two sizes, one larger and one smaller. You can get various different steels and various different handle material. If you want good steel you can get S30V.

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

Wow, more good info.
    Does anyone have experience with a Spyderco Cali? The pocket clip looks very fragile.

It isn’t. Spyderco wire clips are my personal favorite.

Ken

Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

+1 buck vantage pro/force pro s30v, seems to keep an edge longer than my other s30v blades and has a deep carry clip. I edc a kershaw blur s30v, its ergonomic, slim, assisted opening and locks up with a nice “clack” every time. Its hard to beat those two for the price .

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

I looked at the Buck…nice but it’s not calling to me.
    Here is what are on my short list…really waffling on just what to get.

Caly 3.5 carbon fiber and zdp-189 blade
    Benchmade 586 mini barrage with m390 blade
    And last…a Cali 3 in VG-10 damascus just because it’s so very pretty

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Shame you cant combine them I like the look of the bench made but the Caly VG-10 Damascus is an awesome speck blade and the damascus is attractive I take it it is laminated the VG-10 is the core with the damascus on the outside.
    Or again the bench made but with a ZDP-189 blade for me the Spyderco is not as an attractive style I prefer the stud for one hand opening rather than a big hole in the blade .
    Have you considered a custom maker someone I mentioned the other day James Ivy K K custom knifes https://www.facebook.com/lightningivy he also sells on eBay he is based in Texas although there are thousands but he seems to make some quite good knives including EDCs although I am not sure whether he does folders but I think he does neck knives and he does quite a lot with damascus but not the VG-10 or ZDP-189 which require more industrial set ups I believe.

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

not the VG-10 or ZDP-189 which require more industrial set ups I believe.

It’s typical with Japanese steels that they only let them be turned into cutlery in country where they can handle the heat treating and such. Likewise it’s very rare for Japanese knife makers to work with non Japanese steels. It’s a very closed culture in such things.

So while you may be right about the setup required, it’s more likely VG10, ZDP, Super Blue etc are not even options for a US knife maker.

Ken

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Oh yeah Curtis! That one should be a sweet replacement for the leak. I have its Big Brother, the Gayle Bradley in m4. So far, the m4 steel is my absolute favorite. It is my understanding, however, that the m390 steel is basically m4 but stainless. And spyderco apparently ht’s it to 62-64hrc. Cliff stamp has a review of this knife, I will try to find it…

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Here’s more info on the air…

http://www.cliffstamp.com/knives/forum/read.php?6,13187

http://www.cliffstamp.com/knives/forum/read.php?3,14205

Downside is that it doesn’t come with a pocket clip :-

Oh, the cali clip is definitely not weak fyi. I don’t own one but I’ve handled a few.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.