Advanced Search

Neat accessories

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Scott Babineaux
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 80

I just ordered the Veho VMS-004. I has swivel joints. I just need to adopt a mounting method to put it on my WEPS base yet keep it out of the way.

Scott Babineaux
    Participant

I also use a loupe and yes you have to watch the nose and forehead. Now I just need to order my laser protractor and I’ll be set when my WEPS arrives.

Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 342

Excellent! I can’t wait to see your pictures!

Just a couple of warnings – 1. The closer you get magnification wise, the uglier things become. 2. shooting for perfection will take time at each grit.

It’s completely worth it, though! B)

Dan
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 84

Well, just put in an order to get some cool accessories going for myself! Called up the crew and got two sets of blank paddles in the mail to Ken Schwartz, to be mounted with a 1K/2K and 5K/8K Shapton set. Looking forward to playing with the new stones!

DrMatt
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 18

Well, just put in an order to get some cool accessories going for myself! Called up the crew and got two sets of blank paddles in the mail to Ken Schwartz, to be mounted with a 1K/2K and 5K/8K Shapton set. Looking forward to playing with the new stones!

Where do you get the Shapton stones???? I spoke with Kay and she said they won’t be available for at least one month. Are those better than the Chosera stones?

Dan
    Participant

That’s a subject of some contention, really. Both Shapton and Chosera have their adherents. In this case, I already have some Choseras for my EP, so I’m going to try out the Shaptons on the WEPS and see what I think.

I’m getting mine from Ken Schwartz over at CKTG, he’s the only one making them that I know of. Tom over at Jende might be too, they’re both awesome guys to work with.

DrMatt
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 18

CKTG? Nothing on Google. Is that their full name and where are they located? Thanx

Dan
    Participant

Well, I was referring to “ChefKnivesToGo” http://www.chefknivestogo.com/

But the Shaptons for the WEPS aren’t listed there, just sold by one of their guys. If you’re interested, you’ll want to contact Ken Schwartz directly, and he can set ‘ya up or get you any information you want. His Email is ksskss@earthlink.net

Jende Industries
    Participant

It’s not official yet, but we’re hoping the Shaptons will be available on the Wicked Edge site soon. Ken Schwartz and I are working together on this.

As to which is better – Shapton or Chosera, people know I am a die hard Shapton man. B) But there are plenty of die hard Chosera fans out there, too.

Basically, Shaptons and Choseras are the Lamborghini and Ferrari of sharpening stones, and choosing between them can be as personal as choosing Coke or Pepsi. I have and have used all the stones in both series on the WEPS, and I can honestly say that you can’t go wrong with either.

Here is a blog post[/url] I did a while back about this very topic. It doesn’t tell you which to choose, but it should help you in making a more informed decision.

I think a new thread may be in order to get both sides of the story – from people who love their Shaptons, and those other guys 👿 who love their Choseras…

Scott Babineaux
    Participant

I just got my Veho VMS-004 deluxe in but can’t figure out how to zoom in close enough. Not getting anywhere near 400x mag.

Marion
    Participant
    • Replies: 41

Where did you get the blank paddles from? and how much are the stones and mounting costing you?

Thanks

Jende Industries
    Participant

I just got my Veho VMS-004 deluxe in but can’t figure out how to zoom in close enough. Not getting anywhere near 400x mag.

Turn the focus knob all the way – the first in focus will be the 20x, and if you keep turning the focus in the same direction, it will get to the 400x.

Dan
    Participant

I purchased the blank paddles by just calling the guys at WEPS on the phone and asking about it, the price was quite reasonable. I purchased two pairs of blanks. I can’t quote pricing yet, I only have a general idea myself, but Ken should be able to answer that one easily enough, same email I posted earlier. 🙂

Scott Babineaux
    Participant

RE: Veho 400x
    Ok, now that I have my head out of my A**; I get it. The “20x-400x” does not mean variable focus of anything between 20 and 400 magnification. It means either 20x or 400x; period. Hmmm. I usually consider myself a fairly well educated person. BS in Computer Engineering, Army grunt, etc… Could I have “misunderstood” that in the description; or maybe I just read what I wanted it to say?

Scott Babineaux
    Participant

Clay,

How about an update on the minimum angle adapter? Or at least a teaser about it like how it will work?

I picture something that clamps into the standard vise that is canted at an angle to one side or another resulting in a low net angle for sharpening. You’d have to sharpen one side at a time and then either flip it over or something.

Am I close? :whistle:

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.