Advanced Search

Neat accessories

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Here are a couple of accessories that have become very useful to me over the past year. I use them now as a matter of course.
    The angle cube is great for double checking the settings of the WEPS paddle arms.

The laser protractor will accurately tell you the edge angle of any knife that fits the v-slot of the devices cockpit. These tools become more important as you demand more and more accuracy in your sharpening.
    Try these…you will like them too!

Cheers
    Leo

jeff williams
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 23

Leo…the laser protractor..fill me in , what brand or where can i find one..
    thanks Jeff

Mark
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 56

Hammer, You can pick up the laser goniometer from CATRA at http://www.catra.org/pages/products/kniveslevel1/lkep.htm

They have all kinds of neat toys.

Mark

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

You beat me to the draw Mark! Yes that is where it can be obtained. Even though it is in the UK, the delivery was made within a week once the order was filled. It is a great tool to have. You can tell the number of degrees in an unknown knife edge or you can double check the edge you just ground.

Leo

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Someone asked me how the laser protractor works…it is really simple. The protractor fires a perfectly straight laser beam that strikes 0 degrees on the scale when no knife is inserted. When a knife edge is inserted in both back and front v-slots and the laser is triggered, the shiny edges of the edge bevel each reflect that beam at the angle at which it has been ground (the angle of reflection will equal the angle of incidence). A 20 degree bevel will reflect to the 20 degree scale (from both sides). If the beveled edges are not the same the difference will be shown on the protractors scale…e.g. 20 degrees/ 19 degrees on the protractor’s scale.This neat device works best in slightly subdued light in order to prevent false readings caused by bright ambient light also bouncing off the shiny edge.
    If the knife is canted all th way to one side in the v-slots, lying flat on the sames sides back and front, when the laser is fired it will read you the sum of the two edge bevels on the protractor’s scale. It is simplicity itself and a wonderful help when you don’t know the edge angle on an unknown knife or to confirm the angles you have just developed.
    I hope this helps to understand the basic use of the laser goniometer/protractor.

Leo

don griffith
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 51

Just received my iGAGING Angle Cube. Looks well-made and the included screwdriver is a nice touch. I’ll take it to work and evaluate the claimed specifications on Monday (to satisfy my personal curiosity).

I did find, however, that the battery included with the gage did not properly fit the compartment. It was an extremely tight fit and my perception was that there was potential to distort the base and top surfaces. It also protruded above the back such that the backplate would not fit.
    I had some 9V batteries on hand and tried an Energizer, which fit just fine. The substandard batery was definitely oversized.

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

I think you will like having this tool. The battery that came with nine fit with no problem.
    I will be interested to see the results of your test of the cube’s accuracy. What do you have at work that can do this Don?

Best regards
    Leo

don griffith
    Participant

Hi, Leo,

I’ll use a granite surface plate, angle blocks, and a master precision level, all calibrated, of course. Should be able to verify squareness, linearity, and repeatability.

This won’t make me better at sharpening, but I’ll know with great precision that my edges are all equally dull…! :silly:

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Hi, Leo,

I’ll use a granite surface plate, angle blocks, and a master precision level, all calibrated, of course. Should be able to verify squareness, linearity, and repeatability.

This won’t make me better at sharpening, but I’ll know with great precision that my edges are all equally dull…! :silly:

Hee hee hee! 😆 A good laugh with my morning coffee.
    What is it that you work at that they have such precision angle finding stuff Don? If you don’t mind me asking.

Cheers
    Leo

don griffith
    Participant

Hi, Leo,

Hee hee hee! 😆 A good laugh with my morning coffee.
    What is it that you work at that they have such precision angle finding stuff Don? If you don’t mind me asking.

Cheers
    Leo[/quote]
    Well, I usually don’t say so I don’t embarrass them, but just for you, Leo, I work for NASA. We used to be the go-to-space people….

by the way, I (embarrassing example follows…) can’t seem to activate my profile. I can get there and select EDIT, but everything is grey’d out.

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

ROTFLMAO! You break me up Don!! NASA eh! I guess your tools might be accurate there!!
    Don’t know why you can’t open your profile…perhaps there is a Mod around somewhere, who can help!
    Anyway, not to worry!

Leo
    PS
    That’s funny…I can access your Profile! Hmmm! :huh:

Edwin Lurvey
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 80

Of course if you want a quick and dirty angle finder, Android phones have plenty of apps to pick from. When my WEPS comes, I will buy an angle cube at some point, but it would still get you by if you have nothing else.

Doug Williams
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 43

ROTFLMAO! You break me up Don!! NASA eh! I guess your tools might be accurate there!!
    Don’t know why you can’t open your profile…perhaps there is a Mod around somewhere, who can help!
    Anyway, not to worry!

Leo
    PS

Add me to the dummy list. I can access my profile, but I can’t edit it. I’m doomed to posting without an avatar. But life goes on. :blush:

Larry
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 44

Anyway, not to worry!

Leo
    PS

Add me to the dummy list. I can access my profile, but I can’t edit it. I’m doomed to posting without an avatar. But life goes on. :blush:[/quote]

For me to edit my avatar I click on resource then on forum then on profile then on the line that says profile for go to the right to where it says edit click on it then click on avatar. Thats the way it works for me, hope it works for you

Lucky

Doug Williams
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 43

Anyway, not to worry!

Leo
    PS

Add me to the dummy list. I can access my profile, but I can’t edit it. I’m doomed to posting without an avatar. But life goes on. :blush:[/quote]

For me to edit my avatar I click on resource then on forum then on profile then on the line that says profile for go to the right to where it says edit click on it then click on avatar. Thats the way it works for me, hope it works for you

Lucky[/quote]

That’s exactly what I do, but then all the tabs are grey and I can’t edit anything. 🙁

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.