Advanced Search

My new caring case

Recent Forums Main Forum My new caring case

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    KCS
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 8

Good day all,

Well on my way creating my extended hobby of sharpening knives and just wanted to know your thoughts on my new idea for a caring case for my WE and stones. all together material cost was under about $100.00 Because I used supplies I already had but looked up pricing. I haven’t decided on a handle yet, may use two on the sides or one on top. what are your thoughtsIMG_1654
    IMG_1674

?

Jerry B Johnson
    Bowling Green Ky.

Attachments:
    6 users thanked author for this post.
    KCS
    Participant

thanks Organic, and MarcH

what are your thoughts on this?

Jerry B Johnson
    Bowling Green Ky.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Who’s to say where a handle would suit you best.  Possible you can strap a handle centered on the the top to give it a try.  Then maybe strap it the other way to see if two side mounted handles wouldn’t serve you better.  After you decide what works you can mount the handles permanently.

My question to you is how often and how far will you be transporting the case?   Also how many more goodies do you plan to pack in the case? As it is, it’s a starters set-up.  As you get more into sharpening you’ll want to add stones and strops and other needed tools and accessories.  All that gets heavy.  Maybe a handcart is in your future.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    KCS
    KCS
    Participant

Great questions and suggestions, I will defiantly try. and on the other I am planning on another box to hold the accessories. I do want to build a two wheel cart that this box fits on the top (this will be my touch up kit), and the second box on the bottom and make them interchangeable, sort of like having a portable table for on the go, if and when I take this on the road. just trying to keep an open mind for the future. I would also like to thank you for your expert advice and being there for all of us, I for one appreciate it.

Jerry B Johnson
    Bowling Green Ky.

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

It is a very handsome looking setup. A single well padded handle on the top could work. There are a lot of guitar amplifiers that weight well over 50 pounds that can still get away with a single handle.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Jeff
    Participant
    • Replies: 40

I like the concept a lot.  My question would be have you sharpened knives yet with the set up?  To me it looks like you may have interference to the back portion of the box when sharpening depending on the length of blade.  Not sure. Just trying to envision it in the picture.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Jpack:  About twenty years ago, my wife and I were driving home from New Orleans and passed through Bowling Green.  I took her to a Mexican restaurant I knew from a business trip and made some major romance points by asking the Mariachis to play “Sin Ti.”  I wonder if Puerto Vallarte is still there?

KCS
    Participant

We have several Puerto Vallarte’s in the area now.

Thanks to all for your Ideas.

I do use this setup almost daily and have sharpened some 10″ knives already. What I noticed in all videos and formats I viewed, is a back stop to rest the rods on so in my design I incorporated the height of that to be a back stop.

Jerry B Johnson
    Bowling Green Ky.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.