Advanced Search

mirror finish

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

I know the OP said he didn’t want water stones.

I have to give a shout out for the chosera’s anyway. With just a “set” , 400/1k or 600/1k you can get a mirror edge. No need to have the entire set. This is mirror edge to the naked eye anyway.

But the chosera’s are much more than just a 1 trick pony. I like the end result so much I use them for my EDC pocket knives, where I don’t care about mirror edges, but care about a nice sharp edge.

Stephen Sharkey
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 40

I just broke down and ordered the entire set. Yikes. $708 to get them up here in Canada. Oh well they sound like they’ll be worth it. They must be partially made of PANDA.

Stephen Sharkey
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 40

Will one of you more experience guys slap a progression chart on here showing what stones you would use starting from 50grit on a complete reprofiling. Would you still use diamond stones and ceramics in the mix? Thanks a lot guys. This info will be much appreciated. I suppose it may differ depending on the desired finish. Im talking about clear mirror. I guess what would achieve the best working finish would interest me too.

Thanks guys and gals

Steve

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Like some of the guys, I’ve drifted away from using the 1200/1600 ceramic stones, just because they don’t feel right. I’ve compared the scratches they produce with abrasive films of comparable grits and they look pretty close to identical. It’s more of a “fingernails on the blackboard” thing. I’ve managed to accumulate a set of glass platens so I can run film instead of the ceramics.

That said, I’m not one of the experienced guys but I have a little something to offer. I did a bunch of Googling, looking for grits vs microns and finally came to the conclusion that grits are pretty arbitrary. There’s a relationship between grit size and micron size, but every outfit comes up with their own results. What we call grit is what others call “mesh,” the size of the screen through which the bits of abrasive fall. The higher the mesh, the smaller the size of the abrasive particles. Generally, if you divide the number 20,000 by the micron size, it’ll give you a number representative of grit size, plus or minus maybe 50%.

If you’d like a copy of my spreadsheet, send me a personal message with your e-mail address.

If a vendor comes up with their grit sizes by comparing the scratch patterns with another media, their numbers will vary by the degree of subjectivity. Hold up your thumb, eyeball it and say “Yup, that’s about right.”

Tom

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

I defer to my betters. Working finish tends to be form600 to 1000. Mirror, diamonds to 1000, then drop to 400 Choseras and progress.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.