Advanced Search

Micro Fine ceramic stones: my first impressions

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Basic Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Micro Fine ceramic stones: my first impressions

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Todd Simpson
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 47

The issue with a ceramic or diamond plate is that the performance will depend on the surface condition. Unlike a water stone, where we can repeatably expose a new surface by lapping.

As one example, I have a DMT325 plate that is only used on steel and as a result the diamonds are very smooth and uniform – it produces a polished bevel and keen edge. I also have an Atoma 400 that is only used for lapping my waterstones and the diamonds are comparably rough – it produces an ugly bevel with no keenness.

Although I like the idea of long-lasting non-dishing hones, I don’t see an obvious way to fit them into a progression.

Mr.Wizard
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 190

Todd, I have been arguing that in a related discussion: https://knife.wickededgeusa.com/forum/2-welcome-mat/13423-getting-a-mirror-finish-on-your-edge?start=30

Would you would be willing to describe your experience with ceramic hones there?

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Incidentally have you directly compared the result of the 1000 diamond plate and the “1.4 micron” ceramic?

No,I have not carried out any experiments to compare them. But I wouldn’t be suprised if their abrasive performance (whatever that may be) was pretty similar.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Pat
    Participant
    • Topics: 16
    • Replies: 114

I agree with this. Since my edges are for practicality and not aesthetics, I find that the diamond stones are more than suitable to 1000. Anything over that is time better spent elsewhere YMMV

Although I like the idea of long-lasting non-dishing hones, I don’t see an obvious way to fit them into a progression.

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.