Advanced Search

Me and my story! Let’s get to know each other!

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Me and my story! Let’s get to know each other!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 183 total)
  • Author
    Edwin Lurvey
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 80

Here are my Kitties, Reesy and Blue. Brother and sister.

Lukas Pop
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 109

Hi all, my name is Lukas, and I am turning 30 this year. I am from Czech Republic, Europe. I work in office, but I like outdoors and sports. And cooking also, so in the last few yers bought several nice folding, bushcraft and kitchen knives. And, of course, I like them sharp. I use Spyderco triangle for sharpening, results are no bad, but little inconsistent, so I am planning progress to Wicked Edge.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hi all,

I just realised that I am using this forum fully without having properly introduced myself.

I am 36 years old and live in the Netherlands, together with my girl friend. During the day I usually work indoors, as a consultant. But after hours and in the weekends I love the outdoors. I live in a good location in Netherlands for that, near some hills and woods. But the Netherlands themselves are among the most densely populated countries in the world, so I try to spend a couple of weeks every year in the mountains (Switzerland, Spain or France) or the woods (Sweden). I have lived in Australia and I loved the outback there!

Quite innocently and unknowingly I became a somewhat of a knifenut two years ago when my Swiss army pocket knife broke and I needed a new one. It happened when we were in the South of France and I picked up a nice looking pocket knife. Later I would find out it was a Laguiole knife. So now I own about 10 Laguiole knives as well as some more modern knives, both fixed blades and folders.

I used to sharpen my knives with a Spyderco Sharpmaker, which is a great device, but a bit limited in application. So I am now the happy owner of a Wicked Edge.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Dennis Hibar
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 99

Thought it was time for my first post. Would you believe that at 60 I have finally been bitten by the blade bug. Started last year when I ran across an old Buck 110 I bought in the 1970s and my Army issued Camillus Mil-K 818. Since then, I have acquired 14 new knives. My favorites are Spydercos … but also have a couple Kershaws, a Zero Tolerance (0350), a few Cold Steel knives, and a CRKT Drifter (which I think is a great little utility knife for the money). Anyway, after much research, decided to get the WE. It arrived Jan 24th … but am still anxiously waiting for the back-ordered ceramic stones. Practiced a little on an old Imperial folder I found in a drawer. That thing sharpened up very quickly (not sure what kind of steel it was …. but seeing how quickly I got it scary sharp …. I think I could have easily sharpened it with a nail file!). But it served its purpose, lessening my apprehension about starting out with a good knife. Next it was on to the Buck and the Mil-K. Learned a little with each one. Today, I tried it out on a Cold Steel Rajah III. That one was a son-of-a-gun. Mainly because I had a heck of a time securing it at a perfect 90 degree angle in the vise. Foam tape wasn’t doing the trick. Its spine is thick 1/8” at the handle and tapers to the edge and tip. I resorted to small layered pieces of grippy drawer liner. I was able to get it secured, but still had a variance of a half a degree or so. Still have some work to do on this one and hopefully will learn more before I have to worry about working on my Spydercos. Overall, very impressed with the WE system and extremely pleased that I invested in one.

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Hi Dennis and welcome here mate!
    I don’t care much for the sticky double-sided tape, rather I use pieces of chamois…I find it fills the voids in the blade geometry better. Looking forward to seeing more of your posts here Dennis.

Best regards 🙂
    Leo

Dennis Hibar
    Participant
    • Replies: 99

Thanks Leo. Glad I read everything here on the forum before my WE arrived. Learned so much more than I ever could from the instruction manual. It’s virtually impossible for this type of manual to cover every possible situation. For example. Took a little aluminum off the right side of the vice leaning that some narrow blade knives are just too narrow to even use the top holes of the depth gauge and need to be elevated a little higher! As I said, really like the WE system … unfortunately it just compounds my “too much to do (or want to do) …. too little time” problem. I basically have the Pro system … minus the base. I wanted a base that was thicker than the 1.25″ bases made for the WE. So, I went with a 2 inch bamboo cutting block. So, I am pretty much set until the ceramic and 50/80 stones I ordered come in. Got a msg last night that they are still 4-5 weeks away.

Tim Budzynski
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 3

Hello all!

Just patiently waiting for my WE to ship. I have recently replaced my heavy German SS kitchen knives and replaced them with French and Japanese Carbon steel. Even the factory edges are a big improvement but still looking forward to upgrading them with the WE.

Take Care. & Thanks for all the good insights.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Welcome!

-Clay

Michael Lingard
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 33

My name is Mike and I live up in Western Canada, near Calgary.

I’m 37, married and have 4 kids. I make my living flying helicopters up here in Canada, so I always had an interest in knives and bushcraft because it’s a necessary skill in case I ever found myself stranded in a remote area.

A few years ago I got bit by the knife bug and started a small collection of knives that I use. Of course the next step was learning how to sharpen them so I picked up a Sharpmaker and learned some. This past Christmas my wife bought me the WEPS… I dropped many a hint I admit.

I’m really enjoying using my Wicked Edge, and I’m having a blast learning how to make my knives scary sharp. I really appreciate all the educational videos Clay has posted on YouTube.

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Welcome here Michael!Nice pic of you and your skivving sharp knife!
    Have you added the ESEE-5 to your collection yet. Take a look at it as it was developed with helicopter pilots in mind.

Best regards
    Leo

Michael Lingard
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 33

Have you added the ESEE-5 to your collection yet. Take a look at it as it was developed with helicopter pilots in mind.

Best regards
    Leo

It’s funny you mention the ESEE knife. I recently just assessed my needs for a solid bushcraft fixed blade to carry with me while I’m flying. I always have one or two good folders on me but I figured it’s good to have a full tang fixed blade in there too. I looked at the ESEE, Bark River, and Fallkniven, but I ended up going with the Fallkniven F1. I am familiar with the VG-10 since I’m a bit of a Spyderholic and I’m very happy with the F1 so far. It’s one heck of a stout little knife.

Sincerely,
    Mike.

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Best regards
    Leo

It’s funny you mention the ESEE knife. I recently just assessed my needs for a solid bushcraft fixed blade to carry with me while I’m flying. I always have one or two good folders on me but I figured it’s good to have a full tang fixed blade in there too. I looked at the ESEE, Bark River, and Fallkniven, but I ended up going with the Fallkniven F1. I am familiar with the VG-10 since I’m a bit of a Spyderholic and I’m very happy with the F1 so far. It’s one heck of a stout little knife.

Sincerely,
    Mike.[/quote]

The F1 from Fallkniven is a fine knife for sure! I bought one for my son who hunts a lot in the BC
    forests. He loves it. He has a horde of knives and the F1 and his ESEE-3 are his favourites for hunting. VG10 is good stuff. 1095 as used in the ESEE knives is also good. It is easier to sharpen and takes a great edge. Good steel for a knife that you may have to sharpen with a small stone out in the bush.
    Good to have you aboard mate!

Leo

Bill
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 20

Well here is my story, my name is Bill and I’m 64 years young, collecting SS and working part time (30 hrs) as an auto mechanic. Last year I was looking for something else to do besides fixing broken cars and came up with the idea of knife sharpening well after many hours on the net I decided the WEPS was the way to go. Ordered it in Feb, and got it in May, one week after it showed up at my door my thumb had an argument with a hammer at work and the hammer won. Fast forward 3 weeks later, OK lets get started first my kitchen knives, then knives of some of the staff at physical therapy. Now lets see about advertising and farmers markets. WAIT JUST ONE MINUTE Do you know that you need liability insurance to work farmers markets and have you ever tried to find that insurance for KNIFE SHARPENING, its like finding hens teeth. Lots more time on the net many trips to UPS to fax applications. Yahoo, found one company in AZ. Now can we get started! OK how much to charge, well I came up with $1.00 per sharpened inch of blade. Now a banner , awning, table, chair etc, Are you starting to get the picture. I worked 3 markets till the end of the season and still haven’t broke even, But I love what I do and my customers are very happy, I work one winter market and am looking forward to next summer…..

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Hi Bill
    A big welcome to the WEPS Forum mate! If ever you need help by way of expertise on sharpening, you will find many here willing and able to help. You need only ask.
    Hats off to you on your venture in the sharpening business my friend!

Best regards
    Leo

Joyal Taylor
    Participant
    • Replies: 52

I joined this forum about a week ago and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Joyal. I’ve only had the WEPS Pro System for 1 wk but have already sharpened a dozen or so pocket knives – much better than any I’ve done before. Knife sharpening is my latest hobby. I’ve been semi-retired for 5 years and have plenty of time to devote to various hobbies. My hobbies since semi-retired has progressed thru fishing, guns, shooting and, about a year ago, I got into pocket knives. I have a collection of about 50 folders so far of various manufacturers – Benchmade, Spyderco, SOG, Buck, Kershaw, etc. I got into sharpening only a few months ago and started with the Spyderco Sharpmaker, then the KME System, and now the WEPS. I’ve already read many of the posts on this forum and have learned so much. Thank you for this forum. I don’t know how to post photos and don’t even have a camera or microscope. I may have to look into getting those later. But I’ll contribute to this forum as I get better at sharpening/polishing and have something to say that you experienced guy haven’t already said. I live in San Diego California and would like to know if there are any other WEPS guys in my area. Thanks again for this forum.
    Joyal

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 183 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.