Advanced Search

Me and my story! Let’s get to know each other!

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Me and my story! Let’s get to know each other!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 183 total)
  • Author
    John Herron
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 39

51 years old from Central Florida.
    I Restore Antique Car interior parts, the woodgraining finish.
    Dull tools drive me crazy 😆
    I don’t have much in the way of nice blades just my work knifes SOGs
    Just ordered a Macusta Katana to play with.
    I Hope to do work for friends also, and just have fun.
    I see some 1911 folks here.. cool. Been Looking at the
    Kimber Ultra Covert II Not a fan of lasers But like the look, and hear Kimbers are a great Gun.
    When I was a Kid in Upstate NY if you could not cut the Bailing Cord on a bail of hay with one swipe
    you got an ear full. TAKE CARE OF YOUR TOOLS! :woohoo:
    Jdee

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Hi Chris!
    First off let me welcome you aboard the good ship Wicked Edge!
    I love your description of your first sharpening experience with the WEPS. Very well done my friend. Interesting that you referred to your first try as a Zen moment as that is the way I feel ever since I got the hang of using this rig. Although much of the sharpening is looked after by the fine engineering of the WEPS, there is much to be said about tuning-in with all your senses as you work. This Zen-like tuning-in leads to better and sharper edges IMHO!
    Once more Chris, job well done! Put up some shots of your knife if you can swing it!

Very best regards

Edwin Lurvey
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 80

My tip with Kimber 1911’s is put 300 rounds + down the pipe, then start measuring failure issues. It is almost always not enough wear in on the springs.

Laser sights are good for one thing. Defending yourself. Put the red dot on the target and squeeze the trigger. They are great if you use them for what they are good at, but you still need to train iron sights.

John Herron
    Participant

Going for mt CCW in a few weeks.
    Thanks for the reply :cheer:

Aaron Smith
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 8

I have two kimpers…a Raptor II and and stainless steel ultra carry 2. I love them both, especially the Raptor, which is a tack driver. One piece of advice i can give you is ammo. Be careful of the ammo you use. Crappy ammo will create problems. I have not had any problems with reloads, so long as ful metal jackets are used. Lead nose bullets jam my Raptor. Anyway, IMO you can’t go wrong with a Kimber.

Don Llewellyn
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 43

I have 3 Kimbers, let’s have a party! 🙂

I shoot moly-coated or jacketed reloads in mine along with carry ammo with no problems.

Larry
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 44

My 1911`s all run on a diet of reloads, I use a 200 gr lswc. I have had a colt and several Kimbers and they all ran fine. I dont have any of them left now, I am stuck with a Les Baer Premier II, a Ed Brown Kobra Carry and a Wilson Combat CQB compact. I guess I will just suffer along with these! Of these my Ed Brown is my favorite.

Lucky

David
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 47

Hi all, I figured now that I’m officially a WE user I should introduce myself.
    I am 28 years old. I grew up in a small logging town of 2000 people in NW Oregon where I really fell in love with the outdoors. I now live in Hillsboro with a population of around 90,000! Talk about culture shock! I work for the city outside in the parks so I cant complaine too much. I am also a volunteer firefighter working towords being a professional Firefighter. I do a lot of cooking and all of these fun things I get to do require you to have sharp knives. My dad always used a small dark grey stone to sharpen his knives with, I was never really able to get that great of results which lead me first to a Smiths nife sharpener. And boy did I ever feel like champ after being able to shave the hair off my arm with my ol’ buck knife! My girlfriend knowing me and my growing obsession for making everything sharp bought me a Gatco sharpener for Christmas last year, and that was all she wrote for me. After that I started looking at ways to better my edges. I first found my way to the Knife Forums website and then to Leo’s post there about the wondrous WEPS. I instantly knew I had to have one, I just had to justify it in a way to my Girlfriend that wouldn’t hurt her feelings too bad. I did that by starting to sharpen knives for folks I work with and I think her seeing how much time I was having to put into each one made it clear to her I needed something more versatile and repeatable to make my customers happy. Now I’m happy to report that I’m a full fledged knife nut! And down the rabbit hole I go!

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Hi David!
    I am so pleased that my review of the WEPS and the ensuing debate and discussion helped to swing you over to the Wicked Edge. One never knows what kind of effect the words one speaks or writes might have. Mark Twain once said that words are much like bullets, once fired, they cannot be taken back…so be careful with your speech and writing. In this case I am happy I fired off those words on the Knife Forum. Not only did the WEPS turn out to be the best sharpening system I have ever come across, but Clay and his family. co-workers and customers have added richly to my life.
    Enjoy your WEPS and welcome to the Wicked Edge family and friends!

Best regards
    Leo

Kennith Chan
    Participant
    • Replies: 41

Hi my name is Kenny and I am 45 years old.

Sounds like AA 😛 I have been in Onatrio, Canada for the last 6 years. I am originally from South Africa where many of the citizens carry some form of weapon. I started carrying a S&W 4506 from the age of 18, also had a Glock 40 and a 9mm Para. My brother was always into knives and I showed only a slight interest at the time. Use to have a balisong as my carry knife. Did a short stint in full contact Kung Fu.

I ride mountain bikes and play table tennis and in ’83 a friend introduced me to photography, I still enjoy the hobby but have since moved on from film to digital. I have a background in analytcal chemistry so tend to be very methodical by nature.

Since I left South Africa 6 years ago I had to leave all those nice toys behind. About 5 years ago the wife got a Henkel 7″ Chef knife. I looked into sharpening systems at the time and was not really happy with what was on the market. Then I came across the Edge Pro which at the time was arounf $150. Having just arrived in the country and with only 1 knife the wife thought it was a bit too much to pay for a knife sharpener. Needless to say I bowed to the will of the boss.

Then last xmas a friend gave me a Benchmade 912SBKD2. The Henckel could do with a sharpening as it is so dull that my wife has cut her finger from the knife slipping. However it would be strange carrying the chef knife on the TTC to have it sharpened at the store we bought it from. Specially since the incident of the decapitation by a deranged bus traveller. So I decided to look again for the edge pro and saw it had jumped very substantially up in price.

I then looked for alternatives to the Edge Pro and saw a youtube video of Clay doing his magic. Started watching his videos and then heard mention that he was sharpening blades for members of a knife forum. That lead to me finding leomitch posting of the WEP and then from there to here. I have contacted Clay via email and got a reply. However as I start this journey and the more I read the more questions I find I have. The most important thing for me is being able to consistently get the same result realitively easy.

My main usage would be to sharpen Japanese kitchen knives I am looking to purchase.

Kenny

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Welcome Kenny! A well written intro my friend. I am happy you found your way here and happier still if my review encouraged you to look deeply at the wEPS.

Best regards mate
    Leo

Scott Babineaux
    Participant

This is for Leo. My cats Trip and Holly got an early Christmas present. Holly is on top. They are a brother/sister pair I got from the shelter. There are 8 months old.

John Herron
    Participant

Lola and Tupoc say Hi to your Cats 😛
    I mean they really say it …

Tupoc

Lola
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNdD5g2QfNA&feature=related

Scott Babineaux
    Participant

If Trip & Holly could talk they would say; 1. We are out of cat nip and 2. the litter box needs cleaning. I named them for two characters in Larry Correia’s first book Monster Hunter International. If you enjoy a good read check it out. Larry is good people.

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Thanks Babo! Trip and Holly are lucky little guys and they are so beautiful. Seems you are lucky too my friend to have such wonderful kitties!
    Stella syas Hi to your kitties!!
    Warm regards

Leo

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 183 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.