Advanced Search

Love my WE Gen 3 Pro!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

Hey guys. I made another video of my new WEPS Gen 3 Pro. As you might tell from watching, I just love this thing!

Alan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnjTTh2ZyuM

Alan

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Alan, Youtube says the video is private.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

Thanks, Mark. I think it should work now.

Alan

Mark76
    Participant

It kind of works. I still cannot view it on this forum. However, I can watch it directly on the Youtube site.

Great vid! It gives a good impression of the Gen 3. And I’d never noticed the rainbow colors :cheer: .

Todd Heiskell
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 15

I am currently waiting on my Gen 3 to arrive. Hopefully any day now. From watching your video and others, it looks like I will want to keep my Gen 2 model also. One good example is: I have a leather splitter with a 14″ blade that is 1/4″ thick and needs to be sharpened at 33* on one side. The Gen 2 does a great job on that blade. Im sure the Gen 3 was not designed to do odd blades like that, so I don’t expect it to. To me, the Gen 3 looks like it is designed to throw a knife in and re-profile the the edge to whatever you want and not worry about following the original edge on the knife.(I know you could get very close) Am I wrong here? I don’t mean to sound like I am downing the system, I bought mine taking all of the above in consideration. I understand there is give and take and the speed of the Gen 3 will be a huge advantage in my eyes.

developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 52
    • Replies: 263

I just tested my Becker BK-7 on the Gen 3 Pro Clamp. The blade is too thick to slip between the jaws. It might fit if the coating on the blade was removed but you would still have to jam it in there. Does anyone know if the Low Angle Adapter could be used for wider blades such as the Becker BK-7?

The BK-7 blade is ~1/4″ thick. One would have to look at the knife specifications to get the exact thickness. Ka-Bar Becker BK-7

Thanks!

Working to make knife.wickededgeusa.com a great forum!

Charles Lacour
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 1

@developer: I asked that question on the FAQ. The answer was that a quick and easy substitute for the clamp that will allow bigger knives (up to 1/2″ was mentioned) is in the works.  Don’t have an ETA, but the phrasing suggested weeks to a low number of months, not years.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 427

Hello everyone, this is my first post..  Just ordered the  Pro Pack II system… I looked very hard at the Gen III but found the only flaw I could find that the cam angle select lever makes both sides of the edge, the same angle. But its a nice system.

Mark76
    Participant

Welcome to the forum, Evil-Twin. Enjoy your WEPS!

I have had the Pro pack II for a long time now. I’ve been looking at the Gen III for some time and have been considering the upgrade. I know there are people here who have upgraded to the Gen III but still kept their Gen II vise, because it is a bit more versatile in things like thicker knives.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I recently needed to revert back to Gen 2 for a particular knife (less than 13 dps) and find that I’m not all that motivated to re-install the Gen 3 vise.  So I’ve bought the hardware needed to make a substitute base (to replace the blue WE base) for the Gen 2 vise.  This will give me the option of using either vise.  I just need to find a low-cost chunk of granite, or resort to buying another paperstone base from WE.  To swap rigs, you just move the rod assemblies from one to the other.

This probably wouldn’t have been necessary if I’d just modified my Low Angle Adapter for the Gen 3 vise – or if WE offered a Gen 3 LAA along with the new vise.  I was afraid that by modifying it,  I might reduce the security of the mount when held in the Gen 2 vise.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I recently needed to revert back to Gen 2 for a particular knife (less than 13 dps) and find that I’m not all that motivated to re-install the Gen 3 vise. So I’ve bought the hardware needed to make a substitute base (to replace the blue WE base) for the Gen 2 vise. This will give me the option of using either vise. I just need to find a low-cost chunk of granite, or resort to buying another paperstone base from WE. To swap rigs, you just move the rod assemblies from one to the other. This probably wouldn’t have been necessary if I’d just modified my Low Angle Adapter for the Gen 3 vise – or if WE offered a Gen 3 LAA along with the new vise. I was afraid that by modifying it, I might reduce the security of the mount when held in the Gen 2 vise.

I went to a countertop shop ( marble and granite ) and wanted to make a head stone for my deceased pet.  They had no problem. I went to their trash container and found a piece od granite, suitable for the purpose… 12X 12 inch…….. they squared it up , routed the edge, and gave it to me for free… they were animal lovers.  Just a thought

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Thanks for the info ET, unfortunately, no countertop shops around here.  But I’m looking…

Anonymous
    Inactive

If you watch the above video link, you will see a few negatives within the design. While the machine is well built, not something flimsy… it’s not something I would ever consider. After reviewing the ” slots  ” to store the stones on the video… the slots are so tight that you have TO RUB THE STONES TOGETHER WHICH CAUSES Wear in order to store them in the individual slots. if you turn up your speakers while viewing the above You tube video you will hear the very disturbing ” rub ” while storing or removing a set of stones . I have several knives with a factory 20* degree angle on one side and 15 on the other. The Gen III pro is a very nice looking and well built piece of equipment, just not as versatile as the Gen II set up. you cant set up two different angles with a single cam system, with a stationery left side vice jaw.. the center line of the machine moved to the right making the right side angle always different from the right side. this can be adjusted with the micro adjustment, but not enough to adjust for two different primary angles like 15 and 18 * degrees. on the same knife.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.