Advanced Search

Lapping grit

Recent Forums Main Forum Stropping Lapping grit

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    RalphJ
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

I’ve tried several times to contact Wicked Edge (Voicemail and email) to no avail.  I have a 3000 grit stone that has a glass platen on the other side.  I had purchased lapping film for the platen but have forgotten the grit for the lapping film.  My next step after the film is 4 micron diamond lapping paste on a leather strop.

Anyone know the best grit for the lapping strip to fit between 3000 grit stone and 4 micron diamond paste?

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Which color is your lapping film? The colors of the films specify the grit. This will help you identify which grit you have. The beige or light brown is 6µ or the magenta/purple film is 3µ. Either of these films will fit right in with your strop.  The 6µ film is right in-line with a step-down progression. Whereas the 3µ would provide a good overlap when you switch mediums to using the strops. Really both would be OK.  At these fine grits and this far into your knife sharpening progression, as a whole, it’s more about your technique than about the grit.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Ryan@WickedEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 3

Hi Ralph,

I’m sorry you had this experience. Can you email us at support@wickededgeusa.com about your issues getting through to us via the phone? I’d like to ask a couple of questions so we can get to the bottom of this and figure out what happened.

As far as your question, you’ll want to use the 3 Micron Diamond Lapping Film between your 3000 DS and the strop.

Thanks!

Ryan

airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 367

Assuming you bought from WE directly and have have an account, you can login, click the order number and see exactly what you purchased..

1 user thanked author for this post.
    RalphJ
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Hi Ryan,

I have tried to get through to a salesperson/technical support on the phone several times.  I have not been able to talk to a real person since I made my second purchase over a year ago.  I am a return customer.  I have a Gen 3 Pro system.  It was the most complete system when I bought it.  If the Commercial System had been available I would have purchased it instead.  My initial set of stones ended (smallest) at 1000 when I first received my kit.  I called at that time and bought 1500/2200 set, the 3000/platten & 6 micron strips (brown), and 4 leather strops with Diamond emulsions on 4, 2, 1 and 0.5 micron sizes.  I wish I had a way to organize my platens, stones and strops.  I have to make sure there is no cross contamination of grit sizes so I don’t stack them face to face.  I recently purchased another set of strops and 0.25 Diamond spray and another set of leather strops and 0.1 micron strips.  I have not spoken to anyone at Wicked Ridge since I purchased my first set of “extra” stones, films, leather strops and Diamond emulsions.  You can track my purchases.  I first tried the email question and I believe I received a reply today – after one of the members and you had already answered my question.  I would be happy to call you if you can give me a number that a live person will answer.  Virtual reps and voicemail leave me feeling ignored; not just here but any retail company.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to the W.E Forum RalphJ.  The W.E. Forum is autonomous from W.E. Though we don’t seem to have frequent forum participants, lately, we generally always have someone available to provide help.  We look forward to opportunities to engage you in the future.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.