Advanced Search

KaBar USMC

Recent Forums Main Forum KaBar USMC

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Kenny Fey
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 2

Doing much better now with my WE.Have received great tips from many.Went to tackle a larger blade Ka Bar USMC.Any tips on this one.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 122
    • Replies: 2933

Hi Kenny,

Try mounting the blade so that the back of the vise is lined up with the start of the belly of the blade, or thereabouts. You’ll have to tinker a little to find the “sweet spot”. If you need more info on finding the sweet spot, do a search here on the forum and you’ll find some excellent posts from forum members. You’ll probably find that the factory angle is pretty wide, maybe even 25 degrees per side (DPS) or more. I’d start with sharpening at the current grind and see how it goes before trying to re-profile it to a lower angle.

-Clay

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Kenny Fey
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 2

Thanks Clay,yep 20 was not working,I was guessing it was about there.I will give a go once more.

Modernflame
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 35

Hi Kenny, Try mounting the blade so that the back of the vise is lined up with the start of the belly of the blade, or thereabouts. You’ll have to tinker a little to find the “sweet spot”. If you need more info on finding the sweet spot, do a search here on the forum and you’ll find some excellent posts from forum members. You’ll probably find that the factory angle is pretty wide, maybe even 25 degrees per side (DPS) or more. I’d start with sharpening at the current grind and see how it goes before trying to re-profile it to a lower angle.

I’m still unclear on how to approach the heel of the blade on a knife like this. Doesn’t the ricasso prevent the stone from reaching the entire edge? I’ve decided I don’t want to cut off the plastic finger guards on the platons. Do some people carve a small choil into the edge? How would you approach a knife like this if it belonged to someone else and carving a notch were not an option?

MarcH
    • Topics: 61
    • Replies: 2127

Not every knife is able to be sharpened with the Wicked Edge.  In most situations there are helpful workarounds, two of these you mentioned:

I’ve decided I don’t want to cut off the plastic finger guards on the platens. Do some people carve a small choil into the edge? How would you approach a knife like this if it belonged to someone else and carving a notch were not an option?

If you find that you’ll be facing this sharpening situation from time to time, it may be helpful to buy a set of W.E. stones that you do remove the plastic finger guards.  You can still don a pair of cut free gloves to use those stones safely.

Another option might be to acquire a set of Whetstones to use for this situation.  The profile on new Shapton Pro Stone whetstones are quite tall.  They allow you to work closer to the ricasso then you would normally be able to with the shallower diamond stones.

Shapton-Pro-Stones-profile  Shaptons-Pro-Stone-End-View
    These Shapton Pro Stones are “spritz and go”.  They only need to be misted with water to use them properly so they’re not very messy to work with.  They will afford you lots of hours of sharpening use before they wear done enough that you’ll need to replace them with new taller stones.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-It)

Attachments:
    5 users thanked author for this post.
    Modernflame
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 35

Best advice on the internet, my friend. I will look into this.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.