Advanced Search

Is the WE130 overkill for me?

Recent Forums Main Forum Is the WE130 overkill for me?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    adamlantelme
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 4

I’ve been eyeing WE for sometime and have taken time to do cursory research on the right setup for me, but I’m still not sure if I’m going to big for what I need.

I’m not a knife collector, or anything serious, I just can’t get consistent edge sharpening with a whet stone owing to the fact I suck.

I have several Shun kitcken knives and a Benchmade Bugout.

I plan to get more knives in the future, but again, not a collector or anything.

So, is a WE130 overkill for me?

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

It’s not like that. Each better model, a higher model number is a more expensive investment because it easier to use it well.. Each W.E. sharpener in the product line all do the same thing, sharpening knives. The more expensive models are easier to learn how to sharpen knives well. With the less expensive models you have less adjustment features allowing less precise control over the sharpener. So you work harder to get the excellence you seek in your sharpening.

With time, effort, attention to detail and a lot of practice you will sharpen knives very well with the least expensive model. It’s just a lot easier to learn to use your sharpener well when it’s the best model. The WE130 has all the precision manual control needed to sharpen most every knife style and size, well. The Gen 3 vise system you get with the top models, the WE130, and the Gen 3 Pro clamps the knife vertically and centered with a single lever cam lock vise system. This makes determining the best sharpening position easier and simple the repeat for touchups. No screws to turn or tools to use like with the less expensive standard vise models. With the standard vise, due to the mechanics of that screw-jack vise many knives are clamped with an inherent blade lean to the left due to the knife’s grind. This blade offset may make for uneven appearing bevel if extra steps and efforts aren’t done correctly to compensate for and offset the lean. With the WE130 just clamp and go every time. The time and effort saved using the Gen 3 Vise system allows you to put all your time and attention on getting better results. Instead of messing with knife position every time with every knife, over and over again.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    000Robert
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 406

Welcome to the forum, adamlantelme.

Like Marc said, the WE130 will serve you well and you can also grind asymmetrical edge bevels with it. If you need to save money, then the WE60 will serve you well also. There are also some 13″ guide rods available for it now for the taller/longer knives.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 367

I got a 120 when I started.  We have about 6 knives to sharpen.. I added some stones, got a cam lock vise, added micro adjusters, longer rods.. in the end I have a WE130.   I would highly recommend the 130 but you need to add to it the angle cube and longer rods.. 13-14″, not sure which are available for the 130.  You can find them on the FB group sold used, which may be a better way to go as the stones may already be broken in.  Good luck with your choice!

adamlantelme
    Participant

Thanks so much for the replies.

Based on what MarcH said, and what others confirmed there’s nothing overkill about the model I was looking at especially if convenience and speed matter to me (which they do).  I don’t want to spend 20 minutes per knife with a WE (as I did with whetstones, and still come out with inconsistent grinds), so paying more for a better package makes sense

airscapes
    Participant

you better temper your time expectations.. These are all hand powered, not grinders.. 20 minute touch ups happen after stones are broken in and you are well versed in proper use.

adamlantelme
    Participant

you better temper your time expectations.. These are all hand powered, not grinders.. 20 minute touch ups happen after stones are broken in and you are well versed in proper use.

Haha, Ok fair enough.

After all, it’s a lifelong purchase and I’m not opposed to spending that kind of time (or more) if the results are stunning.

airscapes
    Participant

you would be surprised at how many people buy complete systems and 2 months later sell them..

adamlantelme
    Participant

I can imagine.

Btw, where is the Facebook group? The link on the WE homepage just goes to their Facebook page.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735
    Me
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 1

The 130 isn’t overkill at all. Buy once, cry once. Perhaps you don’t need a huge setup, but the 130 will keep you happy. What might be overkill is how far you progress in grits. You can work into that. I basically have all of them and strops and glass platens… But you don’t need all that to begin with. 1000 is fine. 2k/3k if you must.

sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

I have not been on this forum for some time now…so how is everyone? I have owned my WE130 for 6 or so years now and I added to it for the first year or 2. I now have all strops, all lapping films, almost all stropping compounds, scissor att. ect ect ect. Even have a set of expensive wet stones and I can say without reservation that I love all of it. Is it overkill for you? The base 130 system has less in it today than it used to and if I had to do it over I would absolutely do it the same way. The 130 is a great starting package and you will know soon what if anything you will want to add to it. You will do your Shuns and other knives proud with that system and with the knives you describe, the 130 will probably last you the rest of you life. I also have the WEGO and I love that for doing a lot of knives for others because it’s a quick setup and does a reasonably good job. For most folks it’s still the sharpest knives they own after I’m done. With the 130 however I can dial in the exact edge that I want to create and repeat it very easily. How much do you want to spend and how much are you going to use it? If you have the $ and want to spend it the WE130 is a GREAT sharpener. If you are on a budget and want a sharpener that does a good job the WEGO is awesome, especially with an extra set of stones and a strop say the 14/10 or 5/3.5. or my favorite strop the 4/2 emulsion strops in leather. Hope this helps you a little.

To the pleasure, sksharp

adamlantelme
    Participant

Thanks so much for the reply, I’ve gone ahead and committed to the WE130 based on everyone’s great feedback.

sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

Welcome to the search for the “perfect” edge. lol

Good luck, hope you are as happy as I’ve been with my decision.

To the pleasure, sksharp

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.