Advanced Search

How to Set Narrow Knives in Vice

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Chris
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 351

No, I was joking.

“I” don’t have one. 😉

I guess if I only lived an hour away from Clay I could sneak a look too? *cough*

Gary Crumb
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 119

No, I was joking.

“I” don’t have one. 😉

Damn… 🙁

no pictures…no serrated solution…
    It’s going to be that kind of Sunday.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

No, I was joking.

“I” don’t have one. 😉

I guess if I only lived an hour away from Clay I could sneak a look too? *cough*

Yes, that and sign a very elaborate oath in blood 🙂

All joking aside, I can’t wait to finish the designs and get all these things into production. It always takes so much longer than I want.

-Clay

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

No, I was joking.

“I” don’t have one. 😉

Budget some time… It’s a lengthy NDA! 🙂

Edit: I was going to leave the blood part out.

Gary Crumb
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 119

All joking aside, I can’t wait to finish the designs and get all these things into production. It always takes so much longer than I want.

I’m sure I echo most of the members/owners when I say I salute you, Clay. It can’t be easy to have your brainchild examined minutely and dissected on a daily basis. It just seems sometimes like it could really easily feel like a personal attack when most of what we consider “issues” really are minor and are simply to help make a great product better. I’m sure you already know and understand this but sometimes it helps for others to acknowledge it as well. I also admire your passion and perseverance for without it, none of this would be possible.

Just hurry it up a little, huh? You’re keeping us waiting! 😉 😛

Chris
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 351

Yes, that and sign a very elaborate oath in blood 🙂

That shouldn’t be hard, I bleed easily.

Make sure someone critical gets to play with it before it goes into production. 😉

All jokes aside, I can’t wait and wish you well with it.

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

I realized after posting and reading response that there is no need to have a consistent way of raising it above the highest depth key setting. My first sharpening didn’t turn out so well. I placed back in the vice with the blade only in as far as the squareness of the spine. Which was about right.

If you use an angle cube it shouldn’t matter if the depth is different next time. This blade is parallel to the spine and the spine will always be perpendicular to the vice.

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

The problem has always been there is no constant radius for serrations you find. Even within a manufacturer’s line, you’ll find a variety of radii used. The “best” solution I’ve found is either a tapered rod, like DMT uses (you will find the radius you need but they will “wallow it out a bit as you go along) or a single point of contact (like the triangle edge of a Sharpmaker) where it’s easy to wear the tips.

The only “real” solution is to have a variety of different sized rods and fit them to the serrations you have (or redo all the serrations to fit the rod you have, which changes the knive’s design.)

Like many, I tend to avoid serrations, but I have a few (under a dozen 😉 )

Ken

Mark Massie
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 37

I have many pocket knives (trappers, peanuts, etc) that have blades too narrow to utilize the upper alignment holes and have requested WE to consider placing multiple laser etches of varying heights around the inside and outside of the vice above the upper alignment holes. This would allow multiple reference points for narrow blades. Not sure how much this would add to the manufacturing process but would seem to be beneficial for blades too narrow to utilize the upper alignment holes. I am sure when Clay and company get caught up they will respond to the idea.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.