Advanced Search

How Do You Handle The Plunge?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies How Do You Handle The Plunge?

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Travis Johnston
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 21

I added a choil to this Spyderco for the same reasons

Attachments:
    2 users thanked author for this post.
    Hogdog
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 18

To me it just makes sense to add a sharpening choil unless it’s a high end collector piece, that shouldn’t be used or sharpened anyway. I add one to all my knives it really helps protect against bolster or handle damage and IMHO I like the way they look.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    NorCalQ
    Participant
    • Topics: 54
    • Replies: 149

Thanks all.  I see there is no issue to adding a sharpening choil on most knives, when necessary, so I will not hesitate to do so in the future.  I learn so much here.  Thank you.

Shock_me
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 1

I’ve had the same issue-I’m wanting to add a sharpening choil to a few Spyderco knives, but I’m waiting for my comfort zone to expand before I go modifying my blade grinds.  Does anybody have real specific instructions on how exactly to do this? I’ve heard a you-tube opinionator say he uses 5/32” chainsaw sharpening bits on a Dremel. My biggest concern here is that I don’t want to heat damage my steel right close to the cutting edge and grinding with a Dremel seems like a good way to do just that.

NorCalQ
    Participant
    • Topics: 54
    • Replies: 149

I used a jewelers round hand file to do mine.  I do have a Dremel, however I wanted to take my time on the first one and not have the bouncing bitt to control.  With the file, I was able to work slowly and sneak up on the size and shape I wanted.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.