Advanced Search

Holy tomato slicer, Batman!

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos Holy tomato slicer, Batman!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Timm
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 44

I purchased one of these a few years ago after hearing it reviewed on America’s Test Kitchen. They rated it as the best chef’s knife for under $200 (IIRC).

They weren’t kidding! I’ve used plenty of kitchen knives, including some expensive brand-name German and French knives, and this one hold up just fine.

I sharpened it to 14 dps and 1K grit on my WE Pro 3 last night

and used it for the first time to slice cabbage and tomato for my lunch sandwich. Much to my surprise, it breaks the skin of a tomato when I set the blade on the skin. It push-cuts paper-thin slices and just sings through a head of cabbage!

How much sharper does a kitchen knife benefit from?

• This topic was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Timm.
    airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 367

In my opinion you got it!  I sharpen all of my wife’s kitchen knives to 1000 and that is it.   I have gone to 1500, film and strop but she prefers the tooth to cut the tomatoes..

Timm
    Participant

What surprised me was that it cut with a push-cut at 1K grit. It pierced the skin with the weight of the blade alone. I did not expect that. No tooth needed.

Richard
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 183

Victorinox are very popular in the restaurant business. Watch some of the ‘Bearded Butchers’ videos, they sharpen them thousands of times to the point where they’re down to like a 6″ blade before tossing them.

Timm
    Participant

1,500/2,200 stones should be here on Monday, so we’ll see if that makes any noticeable difference.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I’ve been sharpening my Victorinox to 17 dps @ 1500, then convexing the bevels to 13 dps (4 steps).  I don’t recall if I’d added a microbevel this last time, but if I did, it was at 20 dps and 1000 grit.

000Robert
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 406

I gave my Victorinox paring knife to the girls for the kitchen, and they love it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.