Advanced Search

Help with knife tip.

Recent Forums Main Forum Help with knife tip.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Alan Ryder
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 8

I’ve got a spyderco paramilitary 2 in SV110. I chipped the tip of the blade and new to try an clean it up beer I can. What would be the best way to go about it. I have the 100 – 1500 grit stones And a we130 base. It’s not to bad and was thinking g I could just start with the 100 until I get a bevel all the way to the tip then sharpen normally or should I focus on just the tip to get a bevel then try and blend it in to avoid taking to much off the entire length of the blade?  Thanks.

Attachments:
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I have a problem with a tip tonight too, but it’s the tip of my left middle finger which I sliced off while preparing dinner tonight.  So my typing is even slower than normal.  I’m down from four fingers to three.  Wouldn’t you know it?  Not from a knife, but on a new mandolin slicing carrots.  I didn’t know that the cheap mandolin’s plate was flexible, so as I pressed harder, my finger entered the danger zone.  Ouch!

But enough on my tribulations…  If it were my knife, I would grind the spine down until it met the point where the edge meets the break.  This will change the shape of the blade very little, and will be five times as fast as trying to reprofile with your stones.  Maybe ten times as fast.  I’ve done this a dozen or more times on friends’ knives and they are always delighted.

I’ve done this on belt sanders, on bench grinders, on disc sanders and on drum sanders.  It’s really easy.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by tcmeyer.
    3 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I agree with TCMeyer, grind down the spine until it meets the remnants of the tip and then sharpen it from there. I did this recently on a knife for a friend that had been badly abused. It came out looking like nothing had ever happened to it and my friend was quite pleased.

Those mandoline slicers scare me. Whenever I’m watching Chopped and someone grabs one of those without using the safety holder I cringe. Those things will make a mess of your fingers in no time.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 367

Just did this last night on my belt sander and a previous knife with a broken tip on a disk sander, just keep water handy to keep the blade cool.  Just work the spline gently until it is back down to the bevel.  Then sharpen normally on the WE

Image3639347085497818505

Image3390098526583140938

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by airscapes.
    Attachments:
    4 users thanked author for this post.
    Richard
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 183

I threw mine away a few weeks ago, it got to be unusable.  Perfect slices but watch out!

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Aah!  You threw out the mandolin, not the Spyderco.  Whew!

Airscapes:  That grind actually looks perfect for that Damascus pattern.  The tip looks like the knife I used to throw at the basement door when I was 14.  Occasionally, I’d miss the door, or the knife would hit the concrete floor on its tip.  Now, if I caught a kid doing that, I’d probably go to jail for assault on a minor.  I can’t believe I was that stupid back then, but I was.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.